Reaction score
No.

He was handed five leads in the fourth qtr last year and blew them all.

He and everyone else blamed it on Newman. Newman took the fall.

Mike Zimmer made the playoffs with Newman out there.

He had a chance.

:WTF

First off, Zimmer hasn't been here since '06, so you're living in the past. Newman got old and was smoked multiple times. They put him on WR4s at times and he still got owned. That's not coaching.

Second, your revisionist history is cute, but inaccurate. Garrett had huge playcalling errors in all the games you mention. Example: you don't punt to Tom Brady with 2+ mins and then get all surprised when he scores on you. Come on.

Thirdly, why talk about last season anyway? This season, we had an offense that scored 10+ points in the first half ONCE, and we were still in every game but 1-2 this season. The D was picking up lots of the slack. Dallas has an HC problem first and foremost, followed by a playcalling problem on offense. Rob wasn't the second coming of Landry or Lebeau, but he was certainly a scapegoat nonetheless.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Zimmer made the playoffs this season with Newman.

Not living in the past.

We all know the whole staff should have been fired, saying Garrett is poor doesn't make Ryan good by any stretch.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No.

He was handed five leads in the fourth qtr last year and blew them all.

He and everyone else blamed it on Newman. Newman took the fall.

Mike Zimmer made the playoffs with Newman out there.

He had a chance.

Four of those games are Detroit, New England, Arizona and New York Jets.

We blame the defense for having a punt blocked for a TD and Romo giving the Jets a FG to win?

We blame the defense for Two INTs for a TD against the Lions?

We blame the defense for Garrett's end of game catastrophe against the Cardinals?

We blame the defense because they couldn't hold New England to less than 20 points?

These are ridiculous examples theebs, and you know it.

Did the defense make the last mistake? Sure, but if that is the extent of your evaluation you're being foolish.

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm done defending Ryan. But I was just thinking to myself... when was the last time the Cowboys had a game where you were thoroughly impressed with the defensive performance?

I can't think of any the past two years. I think i have to go back to the Saints game 2009.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't get the love for a historically mediocre DC who was mediocre in Dallas the past two years. Jerry Jones may be an idiot. Jason Garrett may be a shitty HC. The offense may have sputtered this season. But none of that changes the fact that Rob Ryan has demonstrated himself to be an average defensive coach.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Four of those games are Detroit, New England, Arizona and New York Jets.

We blame the defense for having a punt blocked for a TD and Romo giving the Jets a FG to win?

We blame the defense for Two INTs for a TD against the Lions?

We blame the defense for Garrett's end of game catastrophe against the Cardinals?

We blame the defense because they couldn't hold New England to less than 20 points?

These are ridiculous examples theebs, and you know it.

Did the defense make the last mistake? Sure, but if that is the extent of your evaluation you're being foolish.

Wow

Sounds like you love rob Ryan.

Amazing how the hate of Garrett makes people think other coaches are good out of spite.

Our defense has given up long critical drives late in games repeatedly.

I'm way too lazy to give you the exact moments nor do I care to argue how good rob Ryan is, it's crazy.

And for the record after sensebaugh was injured Detroit killed our defense. Yes the interceptions hurt but the defense had repeated chances to get off the field and could not.

Our defense hasn't played well against the NFC east in particular and I think that had as much to do with it as anything.

Buti know I k know, rob Ryan is a legend and its silly to call him anything but.

Reaction score
Rob Ryan: I’m on a beach, haven’t accepted Rams job
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 12, 2013, 6:57 AM EST

The Friday night report that the Rams hired Rob Ryan to be their next defensive coordinator has been denied by Ryan.

“I’m on a beach and have talked to nobody and have no comment,” Ryan said when reached by Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com.

When Ryan was fired on Tuesday, he boasted that he’d have a new job within five minutes. It’s now been more than 5,000 minutes since Ryan said that, and as he has made clear, he still hasn’t found a new job.

But Ryan may have a job on the Rams’ staff if he wants it. The report from Brian Costello of the New York Post that the Rams hired Ryan appears to be premature, but several reports have said that Rams coach Jeff Fisher is interested in adding Ryan to his staff. Some reports have said Ryan is the front runner to become the Rams’ next defensive coordinator.

But first he needs to get back from the beach.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fisher is very close to the Ryan's and supposedly referred to Buddy Ryan as a father figure. He played for Ryan back in the 80's.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One thing I kinda wonder about now is whether Ryan may have wanted to be fired. It was around mid season or maybe a little before when the report came out that Fisher was not going to bring back Gregg Williams, even if he were re-instated. Then we saw that report yesterday about Ryan skipping defensive meetings and some possible descent between him and the other defensive assistants.

He had another year on his deal, its almost a sure thing that Garrett and Jones wouldnt have let him out his contract to join Fisher otherwise.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I guess they needed an unorganized fat ass slob who can't control his mouth.

I was unaware you knew Rob personally, or are you just speaking out your ass again, just as you accuse others of doing?

Reaction score
Just to be clear, no one here is claiming that Rob is some coaching genius. Just saying he was more effective than Ginger and his defenses were actually decent. He was made a scapegoat. Is he irreplaceable? Of course not. That's not the point though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Link or more made up gibberish?

Read the news dude. Its common knowledge from the past 20-30 years of football.

Fisher played fro Buddy, then was on Buddy's staff in Philly IIRC

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fisher coaching history:

Chicago Bears (1985)
(defensive assistant)
Philadelphia Eagles (1986–1987)
(defensive backs coach)
Philadelphia Eagles (1988–1990)
(defensive coordinator)

Top Bottom