Reaction score
You dont know this. Some of his pay level might have been tied to the amount of authority/responsibility he had.

Besides what is he going to say if Jones wants to cut his pay? "No, because I got all sorts of other high paying alternatives out there"
I guess his pay might have been tied to number of underwire bras sold at Victoria's Secret. But I doubt it. When have you ever heard of a HC taking a pay cut to keep his job?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess his pay might have been tied to number of underwire bras sold at Victoria's Secret. But I doubt it. When have you ever heard of a HC taking a pay cut to keep his job?

I dont know, I dont know the inner workings of coaches contracts but I honestly wouldnt be surprised if some owners did threaten to cut pay for head coaches/front office officials who were underperforming and were potentially going to get fired.

Reaction score
I dont know, I dont know the inner workings of coaches contracts but I honestly wouldnt be surprised if some owners did threaten to cut pay for head coaches/front office officials who were underperforming and were potentially going to get fired.

JJ is going out of his way to keep Ginger and his entire family employed with the organization. I seriously doubt that a paycut even crossed his mind.

Reaction score
I'll help you out. Coaches don't restructure contracts. They don't count towards the cap. The only reason players do it is to get more money guaranteed, while the team gets the opportunity to play games with the cap.

That's the whole premise behind a contract. The HC doesn't have an incentive to take a pay cut. If the owner/GM wants to keep the guy on, then why would he take a cut? If they don't want to keep him, then they just fire him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll help you out. Coaches don't restructure contracts. They don't count towards the cap. The only reason players do it is to get more money guaranteed, while the team gets the opportunity to play games with the cap.

That's the whole premise behind a contract. The HC doesn't have an incentive to take a pay cut. If the owner/GM wants to keep the guy on, then why would he take a cut? If they don't want to keep him, then they just fire him.

I guess we'd have to ask a sports agent who negotiates coaching contracts. I think that Brandt guy at ESPN does or did, but I dont have a twitter account and cant send him questions.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score

Once word got out. Not a single coach would go work for the guy

There is no way in hell garret will be making less money if an OC is brought in to call plays

The contract would be written. In the event you suck at this job and I have to bring in another person to help do your job. I am going to cut your pay

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Whoever the next d coordinator is, he will promise to deliver an "aggressive, attacking, hold-no-prisoners" style of defense. You know, just like Wade did, and just like Ryan did, and ...

Last edited:

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Whoever the next d coordination is, he will promise to deliver an "aggressive, attacking, hold-no-prisoners" style of defense. You know, just like Wade did, and just like Ryan did, and ...

BB is my favorite poster by far

Bob Sacamano second

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Whoever the next d coordination is, he will promise to deliver an "aggressive, attacking, hold-no-prisoners" style of defense. You know, just like Wade did, and just like Ryan did, and ...

That's not unique to here though. It's every team in every city.

from an older espn article

In other football news, it's late August -- which means there's not much time left for fans to pretend they believe their teams' annual summer promises. Here are three of the most annoying NFL summer clichés:

"This year we're really going to run the football." All teams claim this during training camp, though most will panic and go pass-wacky by the end of the first quarter in Week 1. Why do NFL coaches always seem apologetic about passing? Most analysts believe passing success ties more closely to victory than rushing numbers. Check the past 20 Super Bowl winners. Only two -- the Ravens in 2001 and Giants in 1991 -- used run-focused game plans.

"We will play aggressive, attacking defense." Has any coach ever promised to a docile defense? Just once I'd like to hear an NFL coach say in August, "We're going to play a soft zone and drop back into coverage."

"We're going to take it one game at a time." There is no other way to take it.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I actually think the next coordinator whether its lovie, kiffin or whoever is going to be boring like garrett.

I bet they talk about tackling, fundamentals and playing sound.

those are the buzzwords we have already heard from jerry and the media, so I bet its repeated.

just like when he hired wade the buzzwords were attack, blitz etc...because they felt parcells did not do enough of that.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
I actually think the next coordinator whether its lovie, kiffin or whoever is going to be boring like garrett.

I bet they talk about tackling, fundamentals and playing sound.

those are the buzzwords we have already heard from jerry and the media, so I bet its repeated.

just like when he hired wade the buzzwords were attack, blitz etc...because they felt parcells did not do enough of that.

Thats what I am dreading

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Why would that be a bad thing?

Imagine if we had a defense that played with the intensity and flew to the ball like that first defense we had when Parcells got here. Fucking Dat Nguyen all over the fucking field, Glover getting in the backfield, Greg Ellis being mediocre. Only this time, we actually have talented players and Not Pete Hunter. I'd take that in a heartbeat. They played smart

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why would that be a bad thing?

Imagine if we had a defense that played with the intensity and flew to the ball like that first defense we had when Parcells got here. Fucking Dat Nguyen all over the fucking field, Glover getting in the backfield, Greg Ellis being mediocre. Only this time, we actually have talented players and Not Pete Hunter. I'd take that in a heartbeat. They played smart

al singleton to the house off of Kerry Collins.

the moment that gave us all hope we didnt blow donkeys again.

Williams and woodson were so good in 03. When I rewatch those games its depressing to think what has happened at safety.

although, woodson did get us beat in new Orleans.....giving up a td on a mistake and we lost 13-7

Reaction score
I love the idea of an aggressive, attacking defense that caused confusion and created turnovers. I grew to love that after seeing countless Cowboys games where we were a read/react/bend/try not to break but often times break defense and the Eagles were a kick the door in and butt fuck you in front of your kids kind of defense.

But we've never been able to do that. We still have blitzes that consist of backers running up Dlinemans backs, while corners play 20 yards off the wr on short yardage situations.

So yeah, whatever, give me a sound, fundamental defense that just plays straight up football. I'll take it. Whatevs.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I love the idea of an aggressive, attacking defense that caused confusion and created turnovers. I grew to love that after seeing countless Cowboys games where we were a read/react/bend/try not to break but often times break defense and the Eagles were a kick the door in and butt fuck you in front of your kids kind of defense.

But we've never been able to do that. We still have blitzes that consist of backers running up Dlinemans backs, while corners play 20 yards off the wr on short yardage situations.

So yeah, whatever, give me a sound, fundamental defense that just plays straight up football. I'll take it. Whatevs.

wade had his group in the second half of 08 kicking ass. We were lining up in the 46 and just manhandling teams.

until the 4th qtr of the ravens game, then those two long runs broke us and they didn't show up in philly.

but from the at Washington game before turkey day in 08 till that 4th qtr of the ravens game we kicked ass.
Washington, san Francisco, seattle, Pittsburgh and ny all got there ass kicked by wades defense.

to me that was his best stretch of defense he coached. He was outscheming and maximizing all our rushers and it worked. It was a much better stretch than the final month in 09 to me.

we lost ellis, burnett and canty that offseason and never saw that alignment again. It was great for the month that it lasted though.

Top Bottom