JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
A businessman who isn't emotionally attached would have allowed Romo to test the market, and probably saved himself 20 million over the life of the new contract.

There's anyone here who is wild about Romo's contract?

He's got Payton Manning-type money for fuck's sake, and he would NEVER have commanded anything close to that in the marketplace.

And look how it's turned out. Two back surgeries and only a awkward twist or hit away from being on IR or out of football.

You sure about that? Jay Cutler signed a 7 year / $126.70 million contract including $54,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $18,100,000.

How Romo compares.

dalton-qbpay-640x303.jpg to other new deals.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You sure about that? Jay Cutler signed a 7 year / $126.70 million contract including $54,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $18,100,000.
If you look at your chart you'll see Cutler's guarantee is only 38 million. Romo's signing bonus was $55 million.

But I do stand somewhat corrected, he's not that far out of where the market was for the top 10 earners.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Of course, with 6 of the eight already signed leaves alot fewer teams in the market - he might have let Romo try the market anyway, still. How many teams would give him a top ten deal at age 32? Sometimes it's about need not just market value.
Romo's SB was 25M
Right, 25 mill SB and 55 mil guaranteed. But then in March they converted another 12.5 mil of base salary to that 25 mil signing bonus, bringing it to 37.5 mil.

Tony Romo contract restructured by Dallas Cowboys - NFL.com

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Did you see the redskins/browns game? Johnny Eightball looked TERRIBLE. I'm glad we didn't draft that spoiled brat. He flipped off the redskins sideline because he couldn't take their shit-talking. What would happen when he plays in philly? I think he'd let them get into his head and possibly have a meltdown.

I like his FU attitude and even Aikman had bad games as a rookie. Johnny was sacked and hit several times. No QB does well when that is going on. There has not been a player in Dallas for years that had the balls to flip another team off.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
A businessman who isn't emotionally attached would have allowed Romo to test the market, and probably saved himself 20 million over the life of the new contract.

There's anyone here who is wild about Romo's contract?

He's got Payton Manning-type money for fuck's sake, and he would NEVER have commanded anything close to that in the marketplace.

And look how it's turned out. Two back surgeries and only a awkward twist or hit away from being on IR or out of football.

I this Romo's contract was a total waste of money and it will go down in history as one of Jerry's biggest blunders. He should have traded and the team could have saved the money and been able to start a total rebuild. By the time the defense is fixed, Romo will be retired or declining to the point that he needs to retire. He is just good enough to keep the team at 8-8 which doesn't help with
getting high draft picks:

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Aikman also kept his poise and didn't let meaningless pre-season games get in his head

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I this Romo's contract was a total waste of money and it will go down in history as one of Jerry's biggest blunders. He should have traded and the team could have saved the money and been able to start a total rebuild. By the time the defense is fixed, Romo will be retired or declining to the point that he needs to retire. He is just good enough to keep the team at 8-8 which doesn't help with
getting high draft picks:
I don't quite go that far but tend to agree, I'm only saying a dispassionate businessman would have allowed Romo to test the market. There were cap pressures, sure. But they could have been solved another way too.

Reaction score
How many teams would give him a top ten deal at age 32?
All of the ones that needed QBs.

Vikings
Cardinals
Jaguars
Browns
Bills
Raiders
Bucs
Dolphins before they drafted Tannehill, may still do it.
Titans
Jets
Texans
Probably the Chiefs

Top Bottom