theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have the 17th overall pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, but that may not be good enough for owner Jerry Jones.

The Cowboys have several players scheduled to become free agents next month, and they may have to replace some of that talent in the draft. A source close to the team told Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network that Jones “wants to make a big splash” on draft day, which could mean Dallas is going to explore moving up the board.

According to Pauline, the Cowboys have done a lot of scouting work on Ohio State prospects. The biggest Buckeyes prospect is obviously defensive end Chase Young, but he is expected to go as high as No. 2 to the Washington Redskins. It would take a massive haul to move up from No. 17 to No. 2, so that seems unlikely for the Cowboys.

However, they could target Ohio State star cornerback Jeffrey Okudah, who is considered the best defensive back in the draft. Landing him would certainly qualify as a “big splash” for Dallas.

We all know Jones gets excited around draft time. Sometimes Cowboys executives even have to stop him from getting carried away, which was supposedly the case when Jones was giddy about the potential of drafting Johnny Manziel.

While it would not be a surprise if the Cowboys moved up in the draft, the biggest splashes they could make are with their impending free agents. Quarterback Dak Prescott is still looking for a long-term deal from the team, and wideout Amari Cooper could end up with another team if Dallas is unwilling to shell out big money.

msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-cowboys-looking-to-make-big-splash-in-draft-could-trade-up/ar-BBZW3mn?ocid=spartandhp

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
when's the last time Dallas traded up and the move was proven to be good/right/great?

Yea that’s what I’m concerned about too. There was another time they tried to trade up but were denied. The player they tried to take that time? Paxton Lynch.

I would prefer they just stay where their at and take the best player available (unless that player is a RB). I think it’s very likely that they go CB with their first two picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have the 17th overall pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, but that may not be good enough for owner Jerry Jones.

The Cowboys have several players scheduled to become free agents next month, and they may have to replace some of that talent in the draft. A source close to the team told Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network that Jones “wants to make a big splash” on draft day, which could mean Dallas is going to explore moving up the board.

According to Pauline, the Cowboys have done a lot of scouting work on Ohio State prospects. The biggest Buckeyes prospect is obviously defensive end Chase Young, but he is expected to go as high as No. 2 to the Washington Redskins. It would take a massive haul to move up from No. 17 to No. 2, so that seems unlikely for the Cowboys.

However, they could target Ohio State star cornerback Jeffrey Okudah, who is considered the best defensive back in the draft. Landing him would certainly qualify as a “big splash” for Dallas.

We all know Jones gets excited around draft time. Sometimes Cowboys executives even have to stop him from getting carried away, which was supposedly the case when Jones was giddy about the potential of drafting Johnny Manziel.

While it would not be a surprise if the Cowboys moved up in the draft, the biggest splashes they could make are with their impending free agents. Quarterback Dak Prescott is still looking for a long-term deal from the team, and wideout Amari Cooper could end up with another team if Dallas is unwilling to shell out big money.

msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-cowboys-looking-to-make-big-splash-in-draft-could-trade-up/ar-BBZW3mn?ocid=spartandhp
Always exciting when Jerry attempts to insert himself. Bengals are dangling Burrows out there. No bigger splash than him.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Chase Young has high bust potential. The dude dominated against garbage competition and the instant he faced half decent competition he wasn't dominant. If it takes us moving up to get Derrick Brown, I'm for it, but unless that happens I think we should stay where we are at.

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
If you want to make the biggest splash generating enthusiasm, excitement and a renewed hope for this generation and the next providing McCarthy true Elite talent to develop , Burrows is it.

He could struggle and possibly even be a bust in Cincinnati but in this offense and strong supporting cast it could be the impact we’ve seen with Mahomes.

Even this old burned out Cowboy fan would buy a jersey and a ticket to go see. It would turn Dallas on its ear. And hit a home run for Jerry as well. I’d toast to the old SOB for the greatest move since the early 90’s trade with Herschel.

Id truly have hope again!!

Attachments

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If you want to make the biggest splash generating enthusiasm, excitement and a renewed hope for this generation and the next providing McCarthy true Elite talent to develop , Burrows is it.

He could struggle and possibly even be a bust in Cincinnati but in this offense and strong supporting cast it could be the impact we’ve seen with Mahomes.

Even this old burned out Cowboy fan would buy a jersey and a ticket to go see. It would turn Dallas on its ear. And hit a home run for Jerry as well. I’d toast to the old SOB for the greatest move since the early 90’s trade with Herschel.

I like Tua, but his inability to stay healthy scares the shit out me. Its a pipe dream though. Tua goes top 5. Everybody is desperate for QB talent.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is probably bull shit but Pauline is fairly well connected. The only splash Jerry is qualified to make on draft day is when he takes his morning dump and the water splashes back up into his anus.

Honestly I cant remember anything Pauline has ever been "connected" on Cowboy related.

At this point it's nothing more than throwing shit against a wall and hoping it sticks. Hell nobody has made one free agent move (because it hasnt started) so no teams other than maybe Cinci and Washington probably have any idea what they are thinking of for the draft.

Lastly, every year some reporter or dipshit fan screams of Jerry making "splash moves". In 2014 it was all about Johnny Manziel and how Jerry would cum all over himself to get him, maybe even trade up for him. A couple years ago another example was the "Jerry will have to make a "splash move because he'll want to own the draft in Dallas and have it be all about the Cowboys"

It's all b/s at this point.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Dude, us moving up to #1 from where we are would require an anti-Herschel type trade, where we are Mike Lynn and the Vikings.

We'd be massively mortgaging the future to get Burrows, who absolutely is not a sure thing as a NFL QB. This is a guy who 6 months ago was thought of as a 3rd day draft pick who is now likely to be taken #1 overall because of arguably the greatest single season in college football history.

Mahomes has an absolute cannon arm and Burrows has a very average arm. He is not a sure thing.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Honestly I cant remember anything Pauline has ever been "connected" on Cowboy related.

At this point it's nothing more than throwing shit against a wall and hoping it sticks. Hell nobody has made one free agent move (because it hasnt started) so no teams other than maybe Cinci and Washington probably have any idea what they are thinking of for the draft.

Lastly, every year some reporter or dipshit fan screams of Jerry making "splash moves". In 2014 it was all about Johnny Manziel and how Jerry would cum all over himself to get him, maybe even trade up for him. A couple years ago another example was the "Jerry will have to make a "splash move because he'll want to own the draft in Dallas and have it be all about the Cowboys"

It's all b/s at this point.

Stephen seems to be the one to talk Jerry out of some of these dumb moves though, don’t you think? Will McClay seems to have a lot of say too. So even if Jerry is the one leaking that he wants to make a big splash in the draft, it doesn’t necessarily mean that Stephen will let him. That’s the way it seems to me anyways.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry. You want to make a high impact splashing the draft? Do something that will have people excited and talking about the Cowboys the entirety of draft weekend and weeks to come afterwards?

Do nothing.

Stay where you are and draft the best player and/or biggest need not addressed in free agency. Trust me, it'll impress the crap out of us all, and be a buzz all the way to training camp.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Jerry. You want to make a high impact splashing the draft? Do something that will have people excited and talking about the Cowboys the entirety of draft weekend and weeks to come afterwards?

Do nothing.

That is what they've done the past few years and look where it has gotten us. As I've said before, I'm for staying put, but if the opportunity arises, make a splash.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd actually see if we could go grab Herbert if we could wrangle a first round pick away from someone if they sign Dak after we non-exclusive tag his ass...SEC QBs play with way better talent on both sides of the ball and can't remember one recently that has panned out in the NFL...heard Herbert has a cannon for an arm and has the size as well...don't know much else besides that

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score

The problem here is I don't think the Cowboys have the draft capital to move up to #1 in this draft. Our best pick is 17. If all goes according to planned, any future 1st round picks as a result will be worse than that. Why would the Bengals trade away their possible QB for the next 15 years to the Cowboys?

I believe there are some teams that could manage to move up to 1, but they're probably picking top 6 in the draft. If I were the owner of the Bengals sitting there at #1 and Burrow waiting, there would be nothing the Cowboys could offer me. But then again, I have my doubs as to whether or not the actual Bengals owner is committed to winning as a number 1 priority.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'd actually see if we could go grab Herbert if we could wrangle a first round pick away from someone if they sign Dak after we non-exclusive tag his ass...SEC QBs play with way better talent on both sides of the ball and can't remember one recently that has panned out in the NFL...heard Herbert has a cannon for an arm and has the size as well...don't know much else besides that

I would not be opposed to that. Even if it’s not Herbert I hope they draft a QB in the middle rounds. Would Jake Fromm be too good to pass up if he’s sitting there in the second round? I want to see them develop a guy.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I would not be opposed to that. Even if it’s not Herbert I hope they draft a QB in the middle rounds. Would Jake Fromm be too good to pass up if he’s sitting there in the second round? I want to see them develop a guy.

If they could get Brady and draft Fromm that would be AWESOME

Top Bottom