dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I would not be opposed to that. Even if it’s not Herbert I hope they draft a QB in the middle rounds. Would Jake Fromm be too good to pass up if he’s sitting there in the second round? I want to see them develop a guy.

I am a diehard UGA guy and liked Fromm as a college QB, but his last season at UGA was not good. Yes, we did not have a good WR group but he also made a ton of awful throws and was incredibly inaccurate this year. His arm is also no more than average.

I wouldnt touch him in the 2nd, if we were available on day three I'd consider him then, but IMO he should have stayed in school.

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have the 17th overall pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, but that may not be good enough for owner Jerry Jones.

The Cowboys have several players scheduled to become free agents next month, and they may have to replace some of that talent in the draft. A source close to the team told Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network that Jones “wants to make a big splash” on draft day, which could mean Dallas is going to explore moving up the board.

According to Pauline, the Cowboys have done a lot of scouting work on Ohio State prospects. The biggest Buckeyes prospect is obviously defensive end Chase Young, but he is expected to go as high as No. 2 to the Washington Redskins. It would take a massive haul to move up from No. 17 to No. 2, so that seems unlikely for the Cowboys.

However, they could target Ohio State star cornerback Jeffrey Okudah, who is considered the best defensive back in the draft. Landing him would certainly qualify as a “big splash” for Dallas.

We all know Jones gets excited around draft time. Sometimes Cowboys executives even have to stop him from getting carried away, which was supposedly the case when Jones was giddy about the potential of drafting Johnny Manziel.

While it would not be a surprise if the Cowboys moved up in the draft, the biggest splashes they could make are with their impending free agents. Quarterback Dak Prescott is still looking for a long-term deal from the team, and wideout Amari Cooper could end up with another team if Dallas is unwilling to shell out big money.

msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-cowboys-looking-to-make-big-splash-in-draft-could-trade-up/ar-BBZW3mn?ocid=spartandhp
If you are not trading up for a "War Daddy" like Chase Young, stay put at 17.

Biggems74

Dr. Pepper or Die
Reaction score
Either stay pat or trade down. Now that we have Poe and McCoy, no true immediate need for Kinlaw, though I would love him. Now we can go after CJ Henderson if he falls to us. He is one helluva CB and has the talent to make an immediate play for our #1 CB.

Biggems74

Dr. Pepper or Die
Reaction score
If they could get Brady and draft Fromm that would be AWESOME
Fromm gets hurt a lot and is not all that great. If we go QB, wait till late in the draft and get Davidson from Princeton, that kid can flipping throw the rock. Plus he is of similar size to Dak, minus his mobility.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
With Fred retiring, I'm pretty sure we can throw all this out the window.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
With Fred retiring, I'm pretty sure we can throw all this out the window.

I doubt his retirement has any real impact on the draft. They might still draft someone that gives them some options, but they have 3 guys on the team currently that can potentially play C. I'd rather it not be Looney because I think he is the epitome of a JAG, but either of the Connor's on the roster could end up winning the starting C spot.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I doubt his retirement has any real impact on the draft. They might still draft someone that gives them some options, but they have 3 guys on the team currently that can potentially play C. I'd rather it not be Looney because I think he is the epitome of a JAG, but either of the Connor's on the roster could end up winning the starting C spot.

Agreed. Losing Fred is bad, but not the end of the world bad. Like you, I think one of the 3 you mentioned will step into the job.
What do you ( or anybody) think about Philbin as O-line coach?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. Losing Fred is bad, but not the end of the world bad. Like you, I think one of the 3 you mentioned will step into the job.
What do you ( or anybody) think about Philbin as O-line coach?
philbin has experience as an OC and HC. bodes well if you look at cowboys recent history of OL coaches

dallas has had callahan, pollack, alexander, and columbo in here.

callahan was prob the best of the bunch and also has a lot of experience outside of just the OL

pollack was here for chaz green vs. adrian clayborn. likely the game that dak got severe brain damage and got the idea of his +$30m/yr valuation. pollack left for the bengals and has already washed out. hes w the jets now.

alexander was a lifer who came from the bengals. dumbass hire to begin w/

columbo seemed to fix a lot of problems from alexander and pollack. but he went to NYG to suck on garrett's titty for a while longer.

IN CONCLUSION: philbin will be fine.... upgrade over kathie lee gifford, but not as good as regis.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
this is my first thread … howdy
draft a real C, we have no idea about the Connors ability to play at the NFL level … the coaches may have a clue

real concerned about the WR situation and not because Cobb left. The problem is there is no X WR on this team.
Yes, Cooper and Gallup can play X, and have. But neither are a true go X. Actually Cooper is a natural Z (yes, a slot guy) and Gallup a Y (down field threat / deep outlet.

MM's offense, when last seen was very X oriented. You may recall how bad that O often stalled w/o Nelson

Thing is there are only about 4 real XWRs in this draft

I'd take Claypool, in the 2nd, if they resign Dez … gamble on Claypool being there in the 3rd
BTW, Claypool can also play Y WR and TE. Position flex still matters
IMO, he's the best O weapon on the board for this team

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Position flex still matters
For wideouts it matters and it matters a lot. Versatility is key. One-trick ponies need not apply. Too often the definition of the "True X guy" means that's all he can do. We had that.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
For wideouts it matters and it matters a lot. Versatility is key. One-trick ponies need not apply. Too often the definition of the "True X guy" means that's all he can do. We had that.

isn't that like saying Psyton Manninhg could not play for your team?
:)

I'd note again, Claypool is a prototypical X, who can also play Y WR and TE. There's a short list of people can do that.

For example, how many WRs can you name who can edge block OLBs (4-3 or 3-4)?
and how many TEs can out run most NFL CBs?

besides ... Dak needs big targets, all mobile QBs do.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
isn't that like saying Psyton Manninhg could not play for your team?
It's not anything like that. Manning WAS a versatile QB could make all the throws. But we're talking receivers. It's a different skillset.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
why are you pretending he's not "capable of utilizing any wideout past 10 yards or something"?
There's a good amount of Cowboys fans who simply do not like Dak and therefore never really pay attention to all the excellent things he actually does, and has done. And their memory fails them, they love Romo and he's never done any wrong in their eyes. It's a dichotomy.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It's not anything like that. Manning WAS a versatile QB could make all the throws. But we're talking receivers. It's a different skillset.
a pocket pass is the very definition of a one trick pony

but back to WR … what / who are looking for? and why?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
a pocket pass is the very definition of a one trick pony
It's really not. It's the JOB. Even today.

A one-trick pony QB is the guy who cant make pre-snap reads, who easily gets baited into picks, who relies less on his brain than his arm, who really doesn't have much touch on his throws, and who can't keep composure under pressure. His one trick is heaving it downfield. Give him a guy who can run by people and blow the top off the D, and you have entertainment.

Between us we pretty much covered what we're looking for in a wideout.

Top Bottom