dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

The flaws with Garrett’s systems and style are now well documented. There’s no flexibility, no opponent-specific game-planning, no in-game adjustments, no active involvement in the coaching of players during games. Just standing, watching, and clapping.

So the question is whether Jerry will now bring in a coach who will want ownership to stand, watch, and clap? It all comes down to whether Jerry, 78, is sufficiently desperate to win and to win now to pursue a coach who will make it clear that three media availabilities per week from Jerry are three too many, and that there is indeed a new sheriff in town.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
"If the Cowboys offered Urban Meyer the job he would take it"

Joel Klatt is the lead color commentator for FOX’s college football coverage, and the best in the game today. He’s opinionated, but every opinion is backed up by research and data. He’s also a guy that’s not afraid to call his shot now and then.

And his latest shot is an upper decker that sails out of the stadium and busts through the window of a Toyota Camry sitting in the parking lot.

In an appearance on The Herd on Friday, Klatt predicted Urban Meyer would take the soon-to-be vacant Dallas Cowboys job if offered. “I certainly believe if that if Dallas offered Urban Meyer the job, I believe he would take it,” Klatt said.

The NFL Network’s Jane Slater, who covers the Cowboys and was in Chicago for the club’s loss to the Bears, reported early Friday morning the Cowboys had “very real interest” in Meyer as the Cowboys’ braintrust — i.e., Jerry and Stephen Jones — have their eyes on the college game to replace Jason Garrett.

Part of that interest has to stem from Meyer himself. Appearing on The Herd in October, Meyer said this of the Cowboys job: “That’s the one. That’s the New York Yankees, that’s the one. Great city. You’ve got Dak Prescott, you’ve got Zeke Elliott, you’ve got a loaded team,” he said. The question was asked in reference to Lincoln Riley, but Meyer closed the answer by saying, “To me, that’s the one job in professional football you kind of say, ‘I’ve got to go do that.” Asked specifically if he would consider the Cowboys job if offered, Meyer said, “Sure, absolutely. Absolutely. That one? Yes.”

Meyer’s comments then put him in direct conflict with… himself. It was a year ago this week that Ohio State announced Urban would step down following the upcoming Rose Bowl. Asked about the possibility of coaching in the NFL during that December 2018 press conference, Meyer said this:

“I see some of these guys’ records because the NFL is so even,” Meyer said. “Some of these guys, their record is 74-58. I could never do that.”

We’re talking about a coach that lost 32 games in 17 years as a head coach and was twice driven out of the game because his fear of losing was so intense. And now we’re talking about him coaching in a league where losing six games a year constitutes a good season. Don’t forget, debilitating stress-induced headaches were a driving reason Urban walked away last year. If this were to really happen, he would need to seriously adjust his approach to handling wins and losses at the NFL level (fat chance) or losing six games a year could drive him out of football for a third time.

But that hypothetical 74-58 NFL coach Urban referenced a year ago didn’t have Dak Prescott, he didn’t have Zeke Elliott, and he didn’t coach for the Dallas Cowboys*.

As always, stay tuned to The Scoop for the latest.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
was twice driven out of the game because his fear of losing was so intense.

I like the sound of this, aside from the brief encounter with Parcells, the Cowboys haven't had a fear of losing since 93'

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Meyer: I'll take the job, but you have to give up post-game interviews, radio shows and injury reports.

Jerry: Fuck you. Get out.

you know it

Gawd, I wish all fans could unite by not reading, listening or watching anything that had jeri or his spawn in it and go one step further by bludgeoning all media sources via twitter, FB, TV, etc until all media sources are forced to ignore them because no one will listen, read or watch. Create a total media blackout of all things jones & spawn!

Everyone still goes to the games, supports the team, the players, etc but take the fame/attention from jeri & spawn

I think this is the only thing that would really shake Jerri to the core because he lives for the attention

Can you imagine if his flagship station called him on a bright beautiful day and said sorry jeri, we have to cancel your weekly call in show because no one will listen and they've gone one step further by threatening to not listen to the rest of our shows if we continue to have you on the air, so we gotta part ways...

I know it's still a pipe dream but imo, its less of a pipe dream than renting a billboard or expecting fans to quit watching or going to the games because it really doesnt require any sacrifice. In fact, its quite peaceful not having to hear, see or read the nonsense that comes out of his mouth

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
you know it

Gawd, I wish all fans could unite by not reading, listening or watching anything that had jeri or his spawn in it and go one step further by bludgeoning all media sources via twitter, FB, TV, etc until all media sources are forced to ignore them because no one will listen, read or watch. Create a total media blackout of all things jones & spawn!

Everyone still goes to the games, supports the team, the players, etc but take the fame/attention from jeri & spawn

I think this is the only thing that would really shake Jerri to the core because he lives for the attention

Can you imagine if his flagship station called him on a bright beautiful day and said sorry jeri, we have to cancel your weekly call in show because no one will listen and they've gone one step further by threatening to not listen to the rest of our shows if we continue to have you on the air, so we gotta part ways...

I know it's still a pipe dream but imo, its less of a pipe dream than renting a billboard or expecting fans to quit watching or going to the games because it really doesnt require any sacrifice. In fact, its quite peaceful not having to hear, see or read the nonsense that comes out of his mouth

I like these thoughts, Yim, but a quick turn through the Cowboys groups on social media will squelch that in a hurry. I've been tagged into several Facebook groups, which I usually ignore. Lately been reading them though and the delusion(desperation) is high. One particular group purged about 30 users cause they dared to question Red or Johnny Walker GM.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I like these thoughts, Yim, but a quick turn through the Cowboys groups on social media will squelch that in a hurry. I've been tagged into several Facebook groups, which I usually ignore. Lately been reading them though and the delusion(desperation) is high. One particular group purged about 30 users cause they dared to question Red or Johnny Walker GM.

I know, you're right, it was just a dumb ass pipe dream of mine.

I just don't understand why Cowboy fans wouldn't get on board with ignoring the jones clan, I mean, what's the downside?

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The only way this works is the only way it worked before

Just hire the right guy for the job and get the fuck out of his way while Jeruh goes back to doing what he’s good at, writing checks!
To the point where his hand cramps...

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Paul Feinbaum reiterated this week that Lincoln Riley will be the coach of the Cowboys in 2020.

He said it two months ago as well, said he was 100% sure.

We shall see.
I'd be ok with that to see what he can do with Dak but would prefer Meyer for an overall attention to all 3 phases of the game...give me fresh or proven but no retreads...

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I like the idea of someone who has coached many positions in the NFL (& college) on both sides of the ball for a variety of head coaches & who wanted to do this in preparation for one day being a head coach.

Maybe thats a name none of us have ever heard of or perhaps its someone like the hated McDaniels, I dont know.

Hmmmm....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be ok with that to see what he can do with Dak but would prefer Meyer for an overall attention to all 3 phases of the game...give me fresh or proven but no retreads...

Yep, I agree

Top Bottom