dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Zimmer thing definitely warrants watching, I didn't realize he only had the 1yr left on his current deal and the Vikes have so far made no effort to extend him. Now that could change if the Vikes make a run in the postseason but if you recall, a few weeks ago when we lost to the Vikes drunken GM made it a point to just swoon all over how well coached he thought the Vikes were. Jones loves Zimmer (he was instrumental in convincing Parcells to keep him as DC in 2003) and it might not be all that far fetched to see Jones offer the Vikes a late rd pick or two to get Zimmer out of that last yr on his deal, especially if the Vikes go one and done and ownership decides they want to move in another direction 1 yr earlier.

Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2019, 8:56 PM EST

Like Black Friday, Black Monday now starts a day early. So when Sunday rolls around, who will be out?

Here’s a look at the candidates to be coaching elsewhere after the 2019 season ends for their respective teams.

Pat Shurmur, Giants: It’s being regarded as a given that Shurmur will be fired. The Giants haven’t said he’s safe, which means that he’s in danger, grave or otherwise. He’s done poorly in two years on the job, tying the team record for consecutive losses (nine) and winning fewer games than Ben McAdoo, who unlike Shurmur didn’t get to finish his second season. It would be a surprise if Shurmur stays put.

Freddie Kitchens, Browns: The experiment has gone poorly. But dysfunctional teams do dysfunctional things, and it would be no surprise if the Browns fail to admit their mistake and move on — like they did with Hue Jackson after 2016. And after 2017. The bigger challenge for the Browns comes from the lingering disagreements between G.M. John Dorsey and chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta regarding big-picture questions, like who the coach should be.

Doug Marrone, Jaguars: Some think that if he was going to go, he would have gone with Tom Coughlin. Others think Marrone remains in trouble. If the organization plans to give Gardner Minshew a chance to become the franchise quarterback, it makes sense to keep Marrone and G.M. Dave Caldwell around.

Jason Garrett, Cowboys: With a contract expiring when the season ends, Garrett’s tenure definitely ends if the Cowboys fail to make it to the playoffs. Even if they do, Garrett likely needs to get to the NFC title game to get a third contract, even though the Cowboys haven’t gotten that far since 1995.

Mike Zimmer, Vikings: His contract expires after the 2020 season, and there was a clear sense in league circles that failure to make the playoffs could prompt ownership to look elsewhere. So what if the Vikings flame out in the wild-card round? Zimmer could end up becoming the latest coach to enter the last year of his contract, a dynamic that has played out more and more frequently in recent years.

Anthony Lynn, Chargers: It seems like there’s a surprise firing or resignation every year. This year, league insiders are watching the Chargers. Lynn was 12-4 a year ago, but the Chargers have failed in 2019 — and they continue to fail to resonate in L.A. While Lynn doesn’t deserve it, it could be coming.

Dan Quinn is safe in Atlanta, Matt Patricia will return in Detroit, and Adam Gase will get a second season with the Jets. Another surprise (or two) can’t be ruled out; it could come from the Steelers letting Mike Tomlin head to Carolina (or Washington), the Saints allowing Sean Payton to coach the Cowboys, Bill Belichick handing the reins to his son, Steve, in New England, Andy Reid winning a Super Bowl and walking away, or some other unexpected development that currently isn’t on the radar screen. Whatever the outcome, two spots (Washington and Carolina) already are open, and several more inevitably will arise — starting Sunday.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
^ and no, personally I don't want Zimmer.

He does have the one thing Garrett doesn't (a trip to the conference championship game) although that accomplishment came at the hands of a complete miracle last play of the game TD. They were promptly blown out in the NFC Champ game by Nick Foles and the Eagles (the Vikes were favored in this game). He has 3 playoff seasons (counting this one), has 1 postseason win and has seasons of 7-9, 8-8 and 8-7-1. Seems pretty familiar.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Zimmer is not a guy I want and I was a proud member of the GROZ movement. No thanks.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Zimmer thing definitely warrants watching

he is a head scratcher...TONS of experience, seems to be more old school in his approach, doesn't BS or mince words and knows what its like to work under the jeri circus

On paper, given the albatross to winning the owner & GM is, Zimmer seems most qualified to attempt to overcome the many obstacles any coach in Dallas will have to overcome (that sadly have nothing to do with football)

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Zimmer is not a guy I want and I was a proud member of the GROZ movement. No thanks.

Why do you say this?

(not that it will ever matter who coaches in Dallas but I'm playing along for shitz & giggles)

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why do you say this?

(not that it will ever matter who coaches in Dallas but I'm playing along for shitz & giggles)

There was a huge backlash against Zimmer when he was here. Too soft, poorly coached, couldn't stop anyone, gave up big plays, etc. It's almost exactly what we are hearing today. I was as frustrated then under Zimmer as I am now under Rod and Richard. Been there, done that. He can stay in Minny.

Take a look at this link and tell me if we're talking about the current team or Zimmer?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And Zimmer is a Jerry and Switzer guy. He'd be the defensive version of Garrett but with a more gruff tone. But he'd suck Jerry's balls and caress them as gently as Garrett does.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know that it'll be as sweet as Jerry's demise, but it's close. 10 years....10 fucking years knowing full well (after the 1st or 2nd year) that this guy was a fraud. And Jerry kept feeding us this BS so Jerry could feel comfortable with a yes man. He can't go soon enough.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Even if Carrot goes, Jerry doesn't have it in him to do the right thing. He is still stuck in the pre salary cap era where it may have been possible to out talent other teams. In his mind he probably thinks it was him, and not Bob Ackles that snookered Mike Lynn in the Hershel Walker deal but he didn't get credit. Sadly this billionaire has held the franchise hostage for a quarter century living a billionaire alternative reality.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There was a huge backlash against Zimmer when he was here. Too soft, poorly coached, couldn't stop anyone, gave up big plays, etc. It's almost exactly what we are hearing today. I was as frustrated then under Zimmer as I am now under Rod and Richard. Been there, done that. He can stay in Minny.

Take a look at this link and tell me if we're talking about the current team or Zimmer?

Meh, I don't really give much, if any, value to message board evaluators, they're irrational about seemingly everything. I mean they could be right or wrong but not because they actually have the expertise to make an accurate assessment, its more by accident if they get something right.

Having said that, "defense" in the current NFL will be always maddeningly frustrating no matter who is coach because the NFL has stacked the deck against the D and I don't know how any coach can overcome these rules.

The only reason I pondered Zimmer is because of the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. The entire organization is so contorted, its gonna take an absolute miracle worker to get anything accomplished here.

I'm ambivalent about whomever the next coach will be because no matter who it is, you're gonna hear nothing but backlash and bashing in no time at all when the same results, the same frustrations and the same nonsense occurs like we've seen for the last 25 years

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Zimmer? Garrett? Moore? Dan Campbell? Can we fucking have a fresh start instead of guys who used to be on Jerry's payroll? Hire the best guy, not someone you already "know."

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And Zimmer is a Jerry and Switzer guy. He'd be the defensive version of Garrett but with a more gruff tone. But he'd suck Jerry's balls and caress them as gently as Garrett does.

I wish I could find it but I was watching something years ago where Zimmer was the only guy consistently pushing back against jeri and all his sycophants typical over-positive evaluation of players and the team. In interviews I've seen, he's no nonsense and didn't mince words and double talk or nonsense like Garrett, et al.

Admittedly, it was just a small sample size but it stood out to me and was refreshing to see

Whoever ends up here is going to be in a constant fight against jeri & spawn to reign in their fandom and over optimism about every player. The culture needs to be humbled on a daily basis because jeri wants to atta-boy his way to a championship

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Zimmer? Garrett? Moore? Dan Campbell? Can we fucking have a fresh start instead of guys who used to be on Jerry's payroll? Hire the best guy, not someone you already "know."

sounds good to me but do you really think jeri is thinking like this?

I'd say the odds are heavily favored toward guys he "knows" and is "comfortable" with

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meh, I don't really give much, if any, value to message board evaluators, they're irrational about seemingly everything. I mean they could be right or wrong but not because they actually have the expertise to make an accurate assessment, its more by accident if they get something right.

Having said that, "defense" in the current NFL will be always maddeningly frustrating no matter who is coach because the NFL has stacked the deck against the D and I don't know how any coach can overcome these rules.

The only reason I pondered Zimmer is because of the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. The entire organization is so contorted, its gonna take an absolute miracle worker to get anything accomplished here.

I'm ambivalent about whomever the next coach will be because no matter who it is, you're gonna hear nothing but backlash and bashing in no time at all when the same results, the same frustrations and the same nonsense occurs like we've seen for the last 25 years

I didn't post the link as a sort of evaluation. I have my own opinion and despised Zimmer the longer he stayed in Dallas. I don't want him or any retread like him. We can do better and I'm curious if you liked Zimmer when he was here because it's a wash and repeat of what we're seeing now.

I agree that a new HC might not make a huge difference. But it just might and a lamppost is better than what we have now. If the new HC knows when to call a TO and can make any half time adjustments, it might be worth one or two wins a year. Of course, the new coach has to find a QB but that goes without saying.;)

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
13829670.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys need help Sunday in order to make a trip to the playoffs. That includes the Cowboys defeating the Redskins and the Giants taking out the Eagles.

If that doesn’t happen, this report from Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telgram suggests that Jason Garrett is out as the Cowboys’ head coach.

“Short of that, Garrett is coaching his last game. He is in the final year of his contract and there is no expectation of an extension barring a miracle,” the veteran reporter noted.

For many Cowboys fans this has been a long time coming. Garrett has his team at 7-8 on the season after a 3-0 start.

Since taking over on an interim basis for Wade Phillips in 2010, Garrett has led the Cowboys to three playoff appearances and has not made it past the divisional round of the postseason.

Rumors have suggested that Garrett’s departure from Big D has been in the cards for some time now. But given owner Jerry Jones’ sense of loyalty, everything remained up in the air.

That no longer appears to be the case.

Top Bottom