cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Someone here said or posted an article that said Jerry doesn't address a position until it becomes a desperate need. I think that is fairly accurate. We load up on tight ends and corners but neglect the trenches.

Next offseason MUST include at least 1 Guard (or Tackle if the Free experiment works out) and at least 2 DL, hopefully 3.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I suspect there are some other things that factor in too. I think the scouting staff is comfortable/competent at drafting certain positions. CB, WR, LB, TE in particular. Those guys see the field a lot early so they are deemed a success. As a result, the scouts artificially inflate the grades of those positions they are comfortable with

So, at the end of the day, you drafted well according to your board, draft picks make the team and play, but you don't build a very good team

WR was a tough one this year. They needed a guy who could play outside, provide depth and potentially take over for Miles. Williams was great value in 3. However, you don't need that and a TE when your OL and DL sucks

Reaction score
Next offseason MUST include at least 1 Guard (or Tackle if the Free experiment works out) and at least 2 DL, hopefully 3.

There is a decent chance that both Ratliff and Spencer are gone at the end of this season, so I think you are dead on regarding the DL.

And guard, geeze, I'm not sure there is anyone other than Leary on the current team who is worth keeping around next year. The developmental players haven't developed and the veterans aren't playing like veterans.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
And guard, geeze, I'm not sure there is anyone other than Leary on the current team who is worth keeping around next year. The developmental players haven't developed and the veterans aren't playing like veterans.

Costa, Arkin and Cook are free agents. Livings and Bernadeau are likely cap casulaties. Frederick, Kowalski, Leary, and Free(?) might be it for returning interior O Linemen.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Costa, Arkin and Cook are free agents. Livings and Bernadeau are likely cap casulaties. Frederick, Kowalski, Leary, and Free(?) might be it for returning interior O Linemen.

We'll need to at least sign and draft someone.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Someone here said or posted an article that said Jerry doesn't address a position until it becomes a desperate need. I think that is fairly accurate. We load up on tight ends and corners but neglect the trenches.

I said it. Jerry is REACTIVE as opposed to being PROACTIVE. Jerry is great in addressing a high need in the 1st round. It's the rounds afterwards that he gets stupid. How many fucking TEs, WRs, and CBs do you need?

The first four draft picks should be just DL and OL, but we know he will not do this. He'll address the DL in the 1st round --- I'm sure of this, and if going by trends, I think he will address OL in the 2nd. I say this because I don't think he'll go TE in the 2nd for a consecutive time; I cannot see him going after an LB --- because we've done that already and they are still on the roster; so that basically leaves OL. We're due --- past due. Both Gurode and Adams were 2nd rounders, and he looks like a fool now scrambling right now for OL at this juncture with the season about to begin.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
WR was a tough one this year. They needed a guy who could play outside, provide depth and potentially take over for Miles. Williams was great value in 3. However, you don't need that and a TE when your OL and DL sucks

I have no problem with the Williams pick in the 3rd. Makes sense to me in fact. What doesn't make sense is the 2nd rounder. And I'm sorry, but their were some good DLs available in the 4th that we could have used on instead of B.W. Webb.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There is a decent chance that both Ratliff and Spencer are gone at the end of this season, so I think you are dead on regarding the DL.

Spencer is gone as I think Ratliff is a June 1st cut. They need the space to extend Dez, Carter, and Smith.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not to mention we supposedly had Williams over Escobar but took Escobar, Webb over Wilcox but took Wilcox, and Magee over Hollomon but took Holloman.

Before dbair strokes out, I'm not saying those didn't work out, but why have a board if you are just going to ignore it?

Didn't we have Bennie Logan on the board as a 3rd rounder, and we ended up taking Williams? Since we drafted Fredericks earlier than what the pundits felt, I don't think any of us would have minded if we took Logan in the 2nd instead of the 3rd round where we missed out on. Logan would be starting this very moment, and if he wasn't starting he definitely would be contributing moreso than a non-blocking TE, that is 3rd-on-the-depth-chart-but-really-should-be-4th.

Top Bottom