NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
By David Moore/ Reporter
dmoore@dallasnews.com
12:50 am on August 19, 2012 | Permalink

It remains to be seen if anyone on the roster right now will be the No. 3 receiver when the Cowboys open the regular season in New York. But two players certainly helped their cause against San Diego.

Kevin Ogletree started for the second consecutive game and played well, catching four passes for 60 yards. His 35-reception down the middle on a pass thrown by Kyle Orton set up the team’s first touchdown.

“I thought Kevin did a really nice job,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “He has the ability to play both as an inside receiver and as an outside receiver. I thought he did a good job compting for the ball and making plays.

“Obviously the post that Kyle threw him down in the red zone was a big play for us.”

Cole Beasley, a rookie free agent out of SMU, has been working with the starters in the team’s three-wide receiver sets in practice. He had a 14-yard reception from Tony Romo in the first quarter and finished with seven catches for 104 yards to lead the team.

“Cole Beasley just has a really good feel as a inside receiver,” Garrett said. “I think he showed he can get away from people. He has a good feel for finding holes.

“He’s very quarterback friendly. Quarterbacks like throwing to him. They have confidence in him. I thought he made some plays in there.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I honestly didnt' even think Ogletree was going to make the team. When he went to NYG, wasn't signed, then came back here and signed a 1 year minimum deal, I kind of figured he was just a camp body.

Now it sounds as though he'll be our #3.

Of course, if he wins the position, we're likely in the same spot next year trying to fill the spot as some team will pay him more than we will.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not sure why we don't just have a platoon at the 3rd receiver. Different plays, different guys...mix it up.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Not sure why we don't just have a platoon at the 3rd receiver. Different plays, different guys...mix it up.
If each guy can only run certain kinds of routes, it would telegraph pretty easily to the defense what is coming.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If each guy can only run certain kinds of routes, it would telegraph pretty easily to the defense what is coming.

True. But that's not what I meant. Just meant in the sense that if they are all about the same, or a few of them are, just play em all

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score

this what I would do if no one stands out -

I think we could do with this four guys

Beasly - Harris - Homles - Ogletre

Last edited:

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't get how Ogletree could ever be stated as shining. At best, he exceeds mediocrity.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I just don't trust Ogletree

his hands they are medicore at best he does not go after the ball at least what I have seen

I rather go with Beasly - Harris - Homles - Coale

and maybe some elses cast off

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Beasley looked decent in the clips I saw from Hairic's videos.

As stated in the article, he ust looks comfortable finding the holes in a defense.

Ogletree looks weird to me. Kind of robotic.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Beasley looked decent in the clips I saw from Hairic's videos.

As stated in the article, he ust looks comfortable finding the holes in a defense.

Ogletree looks weird to me. Kind of robotic.

Beasly did look pretty good. There was a play where he snatched the ball out of the air right before another WR was about to get it.

Wasn't too great but I liked the way he attacked the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him.

He looks pretty shifty and seems to find open spots.

I like him.

Top Bottom