Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts from last night's game. I'm not seeing the character issues that Dooms makes reference to. There's certainly a sense of entitlement with this organization, no doubt about it. And it affects the product on the field. But some of the young guys played hard, especially on D.

I liked what I saw from Josh Ball at LT. He might not be the long term answer but he wasn't a complete turnstile. Yeah....I know, I have low expectations but he didn't seem overwhelmed and might be able to give us some average play from the position. But we're thin on the line. Some of the back-up interior players were having their lunch eaten by back-up players.

I like a team with size and Quinn seems to love the tall, lanky DB's and safeties. The DB's played well but Nashon Wright and Kelvin Joseph need some work. Neither one impressed me. But the back-ups seemed to be all over the field and weren't afraid to tackle (Bland). It'll be interesting to see who the team keeps.

I've seen enough of Will Grier that we need to move on. I'm not even sure he's a good candidate to develop. DiNucci has shown real improvement and he has a stronger arm than Grier. I can't see the team cutting Cooper and he'll probably be the team's back-up even though I don't think he's all that good.

Sam Williams was all over the field and he has a non stop motor. If he can stay out of trouble off the field, he might be a quality DE who can give you some good reps. And I can definitely see him improving and making a big jump with a good off-season weight training program.

lastly, Babe and Michael Irvin are cringe worthy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts from last night's game. I'm not seeing the character issues that Dooms makes reference to. There's certainly a sense of entitlement with this organization, no doubt about it. And it affects the product on the field. But some of the young guys played hard, especially on D.

I liked what I saw from Josh Ball at LT. He might not be the long term answer but he wasn't a complete turnstile. Yeah....I know, I have low expectations but he didn't seem overwhelmed and might be able to give us some average play from the position. But we're thin on the line. Some of the back-up interior players were having their lunch eaten by back-up players.

I like a team with size and Quinn seems to love the tall, lanky DB's and safeties. The DB's played well but Nashon Wright and Kelvin Joseph need some work. Neither one impressed me. But the back-ups seemed to be all over the field and weren't afraid to tackle (Bland). It'll be interesting to see who the team keeps.

I've seen enough of Will Grier that we need to move on. I'm not even sure he's a good candidate to develop. DiNucci has shown real improvement and he has a stronger arm than Grier. I can't see the team cutting Cooper and he'll probably be the team's back-up even though I don't think he's all that good.

Sam Williams was all over the field and he has a non stop motor. If he can stay out of trouble off the field, he might be a quality DE who can give you some good reps. And I can definitely see him improving and making a big jump with a good off-season weight training program.

lastly, Babe and Michael Irvin are cringe worthy.
Good post but Kelvin Joseph only played one or two plays last night before he got concussioned.

Wright has had some poor moments each week but he also does some good things and they love his ST work, so he has a spot. He may never be more than a 4th CB, but he has physical talent and he does play hard.

Agree with you on Grier and DeNucci. I hated Denucci as much as anyone, but to me he has really improved from where he was. The ball comes out much quicker for him now and he is every bit as athletic (maybe even more so) than Grier.

Sam Williams is going to be a really, really good player in another season or two. He will be pretty good now, but once he figures out all the nuances of DE he has all-pro physical talent and the effort he makes is tremendous.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good post but Kelvin Joseph only played one or two plays last night before he got concussioned.

Wright has had some poor moments each week but he also does some good things and they love his ST work, so he has a spot. He may never be more than a 4th CB, but he has physical talent and he does play hard.

Agree with you on Grier and DeNucci. I hated Denucci as much as anyone, but to me he has really improved from where he was. The ball comes out much quicker for him now and he is every bit as athletic (maybe even more so) than Grier.

Sam Williams is going to be a really, really good player in another season or two. He will be pretty good now, but once he figures out all the nuances of DE he has all-pro physical talent and the effort he makes is tremendous.

Kelvin Joseph hasn't jump out at me in the games I watched and he's getting the benefit of the doubt because of his draft status. Some of the young players have played well enough to be given some consideration and every time I watch Wright, I get this feeling like he lacks instincts. I go crazy when a CB has decent coverage but doesn't look back for the ball.

The D could be decent this year but I still think we need to stop the run better. We should know after the first 2 games where we stand.

Top Bottom