Will McCarthy be fired if 1 and done

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
MM's 23 wins in last 2 seasons is the best record since 1994/95. He took them to back to back playoff berths now for the first time since 2006/07 too. Any owner who fires their HC with those stats to hire another HC with a carbon copy resume (both won SB's w/HOF QB's) is nuts.

But then again, we're talking about Jerry. My bad!
No we're talking about the difference in being really good and "ho-hum"

"Ho-hum" for this franchise is what we have seen for 26 seasons regardless of who the coach is. 12 wins is "ho-hum" if you don't win any playoff games.

Jones knows there's a limited window for success here 1) he is old and shit and hat liver can't possibly last much longer 2) Salary cap potential issues with several star guys coming up for bigtime contracts.

He stayed with Garrett WAY too long and part of the reason was he had been overly criticized for changing coaches so much since Jimmy left. Jones took it to the extreme here (the other reason was the obvious family affinity he had for the loser). He won't do that again.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I regret to inform you that he thinks Moore has Payton-like potential.
We don't know that for certain.

If they don't win any playoff games again, it's a hard sell for either of these coordinators to the fan base.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt he takes that tire fire Denver job.
It's definitely a cluster fuck there. I know it's one of only 32 jobs, but that roster sux and they are tattooed to a QB that can't play. They also gave a massive contract to a bust DE that's hardly ever available to play.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's definitely a cluster fuck there. I know it's one of only 32 jobs, but that roster sux and they are tattooed to a QB that can't play. They also gave a massive contract to a bust DE that's hardly ever available to play.
And no draft capital, and cap hell. Goofy ownership group, GM prolly gone. No way. He's making 9 mil annually and has his program humming.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He's a former Colt, and they'll be drafting a young QB high, so it seems like a good fit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's a former Colt, and they'll be drafting a young QB high, so it seems like a good fit.
Supposedly Irsay was saying he is leaning towards Saturday being the permanent HC.

But things could change.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That ain't been part of the calculation in Dallas for 27 years.
True, but if he is going to can a coach with back to back 12 wins (maybe 12 and 13) seasons and two playoff berths, it doesn't make much sense to keep one of the coordinators as the HC that helped lose playoff games.

I'm kind of like you with that other response, if New Orleans only demands a 1st for Payton I don't think Jones would balk at that. If it's more than that (say similar to Gruden deal) then I doubt he'd do it.

Our 1st this yr is at the bottom of the 1st rd anyway.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't want Payton unless we're rebuilding. This team is where it is at the key positions. No HC is going to get more out of Dak or help him develop in year 7. If this was Daks first couple of years, I'm all over a guy like Payton to either help Dak develop or know it's a losing game and move on.

But MM isn't going anywhere after back to back 12 win seasons, regardless of what happens in the playoffs. And even if he does go, who do you promote? Do we keep Quinn and KM? Do one of those guys get elevated to the HC position?
None of those options are appealing to me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't want Payton unless we're rebuilding. This team is where it is at the key positions. No HC is going to get more out of Dak or help him develop in year 7. If this was Daks first couple of years, I'm all over a guy like Payton to either help Dak develop or know it's a losing game and move on.

But MM isn't going anywhere after back to back 12 win seasons, regardless of what happens in the playoffs. And even if he does go, who do you promote? Do we keep Quinn and KM? Do one of those guys get elevated to the HC position?
None of those options are appealing to me.
I'm really getting worried about you Amigo.

I'm sure Johnny Walker GM and Spawn read your words and can breath easy knowing people are satisfied with some regular season wins and no postseason success. I can just see Spawn saying "see Dad, everything is fine if we just get into the playoffs"

Based on what we have seen the last 6 weeks or so if we fail in the postseason again I'm all for burning down the coaching staff (only guy I'd like to see us keep is Fassel). You make a good point about Dak probably being all that he is ever going to be and is not going to develop much more, but you also have to start thinking about the future too. Just because Dak doesn't benefit from a new coach doesn't mean a young guy they draft wouldn't, and I could definitely see them taking a QB this year or next.

That said I do think Prescott, as well as the rest of this team could greatly benefit from a different style of HC. This franchise needs a hardass attitude from there.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What has Jeruh shown us since the three Super Bowls that would lead any one of us to believe that he will fire a wining coach after two back to back 12 win seasons (which we haven’t had since JJ) where we also made back to back post seasons?

When in fact he has shown the exact opposite. A propensity to stick with a coach long after he should have fired him for poor performance.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What has Jeruh shown us since the three Super Bowls that would lead any one of us to believe that he will fire a wining coach after two back to back 12 win seasons (which we haven’t had since JJ) where we also made back to back post seasons?

When in fact he has shown the exact opposite. A propensity to stick with a coach long after he should have fired him for poor performance.
Well we don't know what he would have done there, because back to back 12 win seasons hasn't occurred since the last Super Bowl.

Top Bottom