Reaction score
He said "maybe we should have" when asked about taking Ryan instead of Long.

That's hardly a concession that it was the wrong decision.

It's a concession.

Nice try though.

C

Cr122

Since Jimmy left, nobody has ever dictated draft selections to Jerry Jones and acted as their own GM.

Now of course Jerry listened to Bill for the most part. As evidenced by the team immediately turning itself around. But Parcells did not act as his own GM here. That's a completely idiotic statement made by a homer who wants to convince someone that Jerry has changed.

The same simpleton who says the hiring of Wade Phillips was proof of that change. That is retarded on so many levels.

Right. And I think that was the reason why Jimmy left.

I really think Jimmy wanted to make the draft selections just like he did when Jerry first bought the franchise.

Jerry had too many things on his plate at the time to worry just about the draft. Well, fortunately for him he had the great Jimmy doing it at the time, if it weren't for those great drafts we would still be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Reaction score
Right. And I think that was the reason why Jimmy left.

I really think Jimmy wanted to make the draft selections just like he did when Jerry first bought the franchise.

Jerry had too many things on his plate at the time to worry just about the draft. Well, fortunately for him he had the great Jimmy doing it at the time, if it weren't for those great drafts we would still be the laughing stock of the NFL.

If Jimmy was such a great drafter, how do you explain his Miami drafts?

There are several books dedicated to the early 90's Cowboys, and the split between Jerry and Jimmy.

It had more to do with conflicting ego's. Two guys who wanted to take all the credit for the teams success. Jerry wanting to be looked at as 'one of the guys', and Jimmy not believing he deserved that. Rightfully so, IMO.

Jimmy didn't leave because Jerry was outmuscling him during the draft.

C

Cr122

If Jimmy was such a great drafter, how do you explain his Miami drafts?

There are several books dedicated to the early 90's Cowboys, and the split between Jerry and Jimmy.

It had more to do with conflicting ego's. Two guys who wanted to take all the credit for the teams success. Jerry wanting to be looked at as 'one of the guys', and Jimmy not believing he deserved that. Rightfully so, IMO.

Jimmy didn't leave because Jerry was outmuscling him during the draft.

I said in an earlier post I don't give a shit about we he did with the Dolphins, what does that have to do with the picks he made with Dallas?

Don't say Jerry because your full of shit. My point is mainly when Jerry first bought the franchise in his first year.

Reaction score
I said in an earlier post I don't give a shit about we he did with the Dolphins, what does that have to do with the picks he made with Dallas?

So you think he had amazing drafting skills, but somehow lost them when he went to Miami?

Don't say Jerry because your full of shit.

I wouldn't credit Jerry with those early 90's drafts. I'd give him a little credit. But not the lions share. I think we had a great staff at the time, from coaches to scouts.

And I'd also give the sheer quantity of our picks some credit.

But I wouldn't say that Jimmy Johnson deserves the lions share of the credit.

My point is mainly when Jerry first bought the franchise in his first year.

What the **** does that even mean?

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't give Jerry any credit for those dynasty building drafts. Less than none. Because he had less than no input into who was drafted.

Jimmy rebuilt that Miami defense with his drafts there.

sbk92

Reaction score
Oh, and Jimmy absolutely, not maybe, deserves most of the credit for that dynasty.

And the entire sane NFL world knows it. You bring up the Dallas dynasty, they talk about the architect. Jimmy Johnson.

Reaction score
That Jimmy was in charge of the drafting, even if it wasn't written in a contract or said.

lol

Okay

You think Jerry deserves most of that credit?

Did I use too many multi-syllable words when I addressed this in the post you just quoted?

If I wrote my post out in crayon, would you understand it more clearly?

C

Cr122

So you think he had amazing drafting skills, but somehow lost them when he went to Miami?

I wouldn't credit Jerry with those early 90's drafts. I'd give him a little credit. But not the lions share. I think we had a great staff at the time, from coaches to scouts.

And I'd also give the sheer quantity of our picks some credit.

But I wouldn't say that Jimmy Johnson deserves the lions share of the credit.

What the **** does that even mean?

I'm not answering that.

Yeah, sure everyone deserves some credit, but Jimmy deserves most of it.

Like I said when he first bought the franchise, Jimmy ran the draft room for the most part. That's what I believe.

sbk92

Reaction score
It was written into the contract. Jimmy had full authority over personnel decisions.

Read the book Boy will be Boys and you'll have a better idea of what went on. Jerry was not involved, at all, on making personnel decisions.

I mean, it's pretty obvious that the guy who destroyed the team for the last 16 years isn't the same guy who had his hand in building an NFL dynasty. That shouldn't even have to be said.

Reaction score
Read the book Boy will be Boys and you'll have a better idea of what went on. Jerry was not involved, at all, on making personnel decisions.

For you to even make that statement leads me to believe you've never even read that book.

In that book, as well as Skip Bayless' book, they both discuss personnel moves both Jimmy and Jerry were involved in, and who had a hand in what.

Reaction score
I know Jerry asked/told Jimmy to "interact" with him in the war room while the cameras were on to make it look to the public like he was involved in the process. Jerry was/is a buffoon when it comes to personnel.
Jimmy was definitely the main cog in the process, drafting and trading. It also helped that we had some top quality personnel men in the scouting dept back then too.

In Miami, I'd take the Dolphins drafts during Jimmy's time over the ones Jerry/Lacewell churned out for Dallas. Several points though, Jimmy was much better at evaluation defensive talent. Yatil Green was projected to go in the first in the range Jimmy took him but he ended up tearing his ACL at the beginning of his first training camp. Avery was a reach and Jimmy has admitted that he was looking for a quick fix at RB, then next Emmitt and that was a mistake. Also, in Dallas he was straight out of the UofM and knew most of the top college talent from having recruited or tried recruiting to the Hurricanes. By the time he went to Miami, he had been away from the college game for about 8 years, but he still had several quality drafts in Miami. His biggest problem, imo, was being saddled with an over the hill QB who was untouchable.

Reaction score
It also helped that we had some top quality personnel men in the scouting dept back then too.

We had a guy who's name escaped me, who was very good at doing the dirty work behind the draft. Jerry fired him I think the year before Jimmy left. He deserves quite a bit of the credit for some of those drafts.

Plymkr

Reaction score
Oh, and Jimmy absolutely, not maybe, deserves most of the credit for that dynasty.

And the entire sane NFL world knows it. You bring up the Dallas dynasty, they talk about the architect. Jimmy Johnson.

Only thing Jerry did correct was hiring Jimmy. You know, the college coach from a cocky school that everyone thought would fail, but, Jerry brought on anyhow.

Complete ****ing stupidity and just blind hate for Jerry if no credit is given to him. Which is fine. But, without him, the "architect" may not of had the chance.

No doubt , Jimmy deserves most of the credit, EGOman deserves some as well. I can give him "that much", that is it.

Reaction score
We had a guy who's name escaped me, who was very good at doing the dirty work behind the draft. Jerry fired him I think the year before Jimmy left. He deserves quite a bit of the credit for some of those drafts.

Bob Ackles and John Wooten were two of them who were integral in our success.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I know Jerry asked/told Jimmy to "interact" with him in the war room while the cameras were on to make it look to the public like he was involved in the process. Jerry was/is a buffoon when it comes to personnel.
Jimmy was definitely the main cog in the process, drafting and trading. It also helped that we had some top quality personnel men in the scouting dept back then too.

In Miami, I'd take the Dolphins drafts during Jimmy's time over the ones Jerry/Lacewell churned out for Dallas. Several points though, Jimmy was much better at evaluation defensive talent. Yatil Green was projected to go in the first in the range Jimmy took him but he ended up tearing his ACL at the beginning of his first training camp. Avery was a reach and Jimmy has admitted that he was looking for a quick fix at RB, then next Emmitt and that was a mistake. Also, in Dallas he was straight out of the UofM and knew most of the top college talent from having recruited or tried recruiting to the Hurricanes. By the time he went to Miami, he had been away from the college game for about 8 years, but he still had several quality drafts in Miami. His biggest problem, imo, was being saddled with an over the hill QB who was untouchable.

You know this how? We get it, you don't like Jerry, but don't make stupid crap up. One fact I remember is how Jimmy Johnson didn't initially want Emmit Smith, because Johnson tried to recruit Emmitt for Miami and Emmitt spuirned him and went to Florida, because he felt that the Canes passed too much for him.

Sam Madison, Surtain, Zach Thomas, and Jason Taylor were pretty much the only decent draft picks he nabbed.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Only thing Jerry did correct was hiring Jimmy. You know, the college coach from a cocky school that everyone thought would fail, but, Jerry brought on anyhow.

Complete ****ing stupidity and just blind hate for Jerry if no credit is given to him. Which is fine. But, without him, the "architect" may not of had the chance.

No doubt , Jimmy deserves most of the credit, EGOman deserves some as well. I can give him "that much", that is it.

Exactly. People want to have it both ways.

Reaction score
Bob Ackles and John Wooten were two of them who were integral in our success.

Ackles was the guy I was thinking of. But you're right on Wooten.

You know this how? We get it, you don't like Jerry, but don't make stupid crap up.

The part about Jerry asking Jimmy to interact with him is true. I've read that multiple places.

One fact I remember is how Jimmy Johnson didn't initially want Emmit Smith, because Johnson tried to recruit Emmitt for Miami and Emmitt spuirned him and went to Florida,

Jimmy wanted a linebacker in that draft. He specifically liked James Francis and Lamar Lathon.

And I don't think Jimmy would've disliked Emmitt because he didn't go to Miami.

Troy spurned Jimmy twice in college.

Plymkr

Reaction score
Exactly. People want to have it both ways.

Laz, also, don't forget. When Jimmy was able to nab Walsh he wanted to get rid of Aikman. It was EGO boy Jerry that said hell no.

So, he was good for somethings. It has all just got to his head.

Top Bottom