Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Football games are won in the trenches.
Cliche'. You get taken advantage of, in the "trenches," when the defense gives your QB nowhere to go with the ball. You ever even played any football?

There isn't a QB in the game who can play the hand Dak was dealt last year. NO worthwhile outside targets, a aging and slowed TE, and NO slot receivers because we're letting the D take that away. Add to that failing to adjust when your all-pro LT goes out, and continued lousy play calling, scheme and coaching and it's a wonder the kid did as well as he did.

Defenses last year said, "hey we'll take our chances with Dez, we can cover him or take him out of the game with our mouths, Dak doesn't have any other legitimate weapons besides Beasley, and we're taking him out every week."

And it worked, and kept working because of our stupid and passive, "take what they give us" philosophy.

It's not Dak.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Are you really gonna die on the hill that Dak is elite?
You can search up my posts and nowhere ever will you find me saying Dak is elite. I have never said that and don't think that.
Why are you being so hostile?
It's not hostile to openly wonder if someone simply isn't paying that much attention to what is going on with the Dallas offense.

Trouty

Reaction score
I thought elite was the argument. My bad.

And fair enough. I thought the post a bit condescending, but it's really nothing. Haley doesn't give a shit, I know that. :)

Trouty

Reaction score
If Dak is mediocre in 2018, we must look to the draft. Starting the following draft (2020), look for the 1-2 pick (trade up if need be) and get our guy. Pray McClay/Vidal identify the right guy. Rinse and repeat until he is landed. Demote hypothetical-Dalton-level Dak to backup to secure a high pick. We cannot find ourselves in a Dalton/Flacco/Smith hell. 8-8 forever more.

That's why, in the back of my mind, I don't want to go heavy in FA. If Dak sucks, I want a high mother fucking pick to land our swinging cock franchise QB. Then attack FA in that wonderland scenario that includes us having a true franchise QB.

Reaction score
Cliche'. You get taken advantage of, in the "trenches," when the defense gives your QB nowhere to go with the ball. You ever even played any football?

There isn't a QB in the game who can play the hand Dak was dealt last year. NO worthwhile outside targets, a aging and slowed TE, and NO slot receivers because we're letting the D take that away. Add to that failing to adjust when your all-pro LT goes out, and continued lousy play calling, scheme and coaching and it's a wonder the kid did as well as he did.

Defenses last year said, "hey we'll take our chances with Dez, we can cover him or take him out of the game with our mouths, Dak doesn't have any other legitimate weapons besides Beasley, and we're taking him out every week."

And it worked, and kept working because of our stupid and passive, "take what they give us" philosophy.

It's not Dak.

Prescott is a game manager. You can put a silk hat on a pigs head..its still a piggy..lol....

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
For Prescott to be successful, like his first season, he needs the RUNNING GAME to work and the OFFENSIVE Line to play at a very high level. That was and will be the key to his success, not his arm. He can rink and dink his way to wins if the rest is there.
But the running game was perfectly serviceable last season, even with Zeke out. Not quite 2016 standard, but not far off. Certainly not enough to explain Dak's drop in form.

2016;

Attempts 499 (rank 1st)
Yards 2396 (rank 2nd)
TDs 24 (rank 2nd)
Yards per attempt 4.8 (rank 3rd)
First downs running 142

2017;

Attempts 480 (rank 5th)
Yards 2170 (rank 2nd)
TDs 18 (rank 2nd)
Yards per attempt 4.5 (rank 3rd)
First downs running 127

In my opinion, the problem lay with the vanilla, predictable passing scheme (which opposing defenses had a year's worth of tape on), and also the Chaz Green debacle in Atlanta, which really seemed to knock Dak's confidence massively. He never really recovered from there.

Trouty

Reaction score
Prescott is a game manager. You can put a silk hat on a pigs head..its still a piggy..lol....

I give him this year to prove he is an ascending franchise QB. One final season.

But I now get the initial group of folks that were reluctant to anoint him.

Reaction score
But the running game was perfectly serviceable last season, even with Zeke out. Not quite 2016 standard, but not far off. Certainly not enough to explain Dak's drop in form.

2016;

Attempts 499 (rank 1st)
Yards 2396 (rank 2nd)
TDs 24 (rank 2nd)
First downs running 142

2017;

Attempts 480 (rank 5th)
Yards 2170 (rank 2nd)
TDs 18 (rank 2nd)
First downs running 127

In my opinion, the problem lay with the vanilla, predictable passing scheme (which opposing defenses had a year's worth of tape on), and also the Chaz Green debacle in Atlanta, which really seemed to knock Dak's confidence massively. He never really recovered from there.
Exactly. So was the OL. Prescott needs a lot more than serviceable. I assume that was your subtle point??

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Are you really gonna die on the hill that Dak is elite? After this last season?
I'll say it one more time: There isn't a QB in the game "elite" or not who can play the hand Dak was dealt last year. NO worthwhile outside targets, a aging and slowed TE, and NO slot receivers because we're letting the D take that away. Add to that failing to adjust when your all-pro LT goes out, and continued lousy play calling, scheme and coaching and it's a wonder the kid did as well as he did.

"Elite" quarterbacks dealt a similar hand failed similarly. Drew Brees anyone? Wasn't that long ago all the talk was he was finished, washed up. When the REAL problem was similar to what dak had to deal with last year.

Hey, we won four fewer games. Dak had a average season statistically. ALL of which can be attributed to the facts I've been pointing out and isn't Chicken Little let's panic end of the world stuff.
Ok. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but it was mentioned several times.
Not by me.

Reaction score
I'll say it one more time: There isn't a QB in the game "elite" or not who can play the hand Dak was dealt last year. NO worthwhile outside targets, a aging and slowed TE, and NO slot receivers because we're letting the D take that away. Add to that failing to adjust when your all-pro LT goes out, and continued lousy play calling, scheme and coaching and it's a wonder the kid did as well as he did.

"Elite" quarterbacks dealt a similar hand failed similarly. Drew Brees anyone? Wasn't that long ago all the talk was he was finished, washed up. When the REAL problem was similar to what dak had to deal with last year.

Hey, we won four fewer games. Dak had a average season statistically. ALL of which can be attributed to the facts I've been pointing out and isn't Chicken Little let's panic end of the world stuff.

lol. I WILL SAY IT ONE MORE TIME...GET THIS...its not about your sizzle players..its about the substance of football teams.

Trouty

Reaction score

2016;

Attempts 499 (rank 1st)
Yards 2396 (rank 2nd)
TDs 24 (rank 2nd)
First downs running 142

2017;

Attempts 480 (rank 5th)
Yards 2170 (rank 2nd)
TDs 18 (rank 2nd)
First downs running 127

There's no question, IMO, that Zeke's bullshit flustered Dak. The production may be similar, but Zeke is an IT player. An "it" player brings presence, leadership, confidence, energy to the field and teammates. He was sorely missed, by Dak more than anyone else. Also, TySmith being out was killer. The Atlanta massacre put ghosts in Dak's head.

Still, this wasn't some David Carr rookie season where he got killed all year. He should have flashed more than he did. The big question when Zeke went down was "Can Dak run the show and elevate and prove the doubters wrong?" and he didn't. He merely kept the ship afloat, and really only had one good game after Zeke came back.

Trouty

Reaction score

Oh my god. Stop. First off, what the fuck does "chicken little" mean? Who's doing that?

Their are several elite QB's who would have had better numbers, let's be real here. "There isn't a single in the game" is a bit much.

I don't disagree about coaching. But they're bad, we all know that.

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why are you being so hostile? Are you really gonna die on the hill that Dak is elite? After this last season?

he's like a dog on a bone on certain subjects so you just gotta lie back and enjoy the ride LOL

Trouty

Reaction score
I'm very chicken little, end of the world about our front office and management. It almost makes all of this irrelevant.

Top Bottom