Reaction score
I'll still think it's possible as long as we have Romo plus the rest of the talent we have.

I mean, it's not like it would take a great team to win this division. Then could we win one playoff game? Sure.

Now a true Superbowl run? Don't think that's possible.

I don't know.
I still think there is a chance that this team could play with a lot more thought to their offense and defense.
The talent is there.
One of the most important Parcellian things that has to happen is the play calling during desperation times has to be methodical and dictated to Romo. There has to be rehearsed situational plays that takes the improv out of Romo's hands. In the first quarter when Dallas was 1st and goal from the 7, and there was very little room in the endzone, the worst play that could happen is the "go out and get open plays". 7 yards is basically two fall-forwards for any of the RBs but it keeps the defense LOS-flinchy. If you watch that play, Escobar looks lost and the other WRs have no idea where the ball is supposed to go- it becomes a diffusion of responsibility where all the players rely on someone else to make the play. Sack and 3 points rather than winning score.

At the end of the game, Romo looked lost again, as if the play could go anywhere and no where. He needs direction and strategy. If Dallas would just simplify the offense and just try to pick up the first down, everything else would fall into place.

Sometimes teams fix things: on offense that usually means simplifying and on defense it means reducing or stopping too much bleeding. On offense, if they can dictate the game from the plays themselves and not the whims of the QB in a scheme that lacks forethought, Dallas would have a good chance each week. On defense, I have no idea, because the Cover2 is usually a remedy for a failing defense, and in this case it's the scheme itself.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
To what Omega said... Oh yeah, if we had a top coach, I'd think we were capable of really doing some things.

But we don't, so I don't.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
To what Omega said... Oh yeah, if we had a top coach, I'd think we were capable of really doing some things.

But we don't, so I don't.

I am starting to lose hope even with that. Jones won't cave in and hire a real head coach until things bottom out.

They are nowhere near that. It would take an epic 4-12; 5-11 type season with nobody giving a shit to close out the year before he'd ever get pissed off enough with Garrett.

We are stuck in the same cycle the Redskins were. 8-8...just mediocre enough to remain relevant. It was only after the Jim Zorn thing went completely south that Snyder had enough and decided to let someone else play with his toys.

Reaction score
I'm not even sure that something similar would happen if Dallas bottomed out. The only reason we got Parcells was for the stadium and Jones has multiple other interests keeping him busy these days. We might be stuck in this shitty 8-8 state for another 3 seasons. Then factor in like 2-3 awful seasons before he potentially caves and you're looking at about 6 more years until there's even a chance.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't know.
I still think there is a chance that this team could play with a lot more thought to their offense and defense.
The talent is there.

One of the most important Parcellian things that has to happen is the play calling during desperation times has to be methodical and dictated to Romo. There has to be rehearsed situational plays that takes the improv out of Romo's hands. In the first quarter when Dallas was 1st and goal from the 7, and there was very little room in the endzone, the worst play that could happen is the "go out and get open plays". 7 yards is basically two fall-forwards for any of the RBs but it keeps the defense LOS-flinchy. If you watch that play, Escobar looks lost and the other WRs have no idea where the ball is supposed to go- it becomes a diffusion of responsibility where all the players rely on someone else to make the play. Sack and 3 points rather than winning score.

At the end of the game, Romo looked lost again, as if the play could go anywhere and no where. He needs direction and strategy. If Dallas would just simplify the offense and just try to pick up the first down, everything else would fall into place.

Sometimes teams fix things: on offense that usually means simplifying and on defense it means reducing or stopping too much bleeding. On offense, if they can dictate the game from the plays themselves and not the whims of the QB in a scheme that lacks forethought, Dallas would have a good chance each week. On defense, I have no idea, because the Cover2 is usually a remedy for a failing defense, and in this case it's the scheme itself.

We do not have the talent. I will argue that point all day long with you. Did you see who we had on our defensive line on the last drive by the Broncos?

After watching the game again last night, I have rethought my knee jerk reaction to the Romo int. The dude was lights out. He had his foot stepped on and could not follow through on his throw. He has had many brain farts in his career. That int was not one of them. We needed 16 yards. Our RB is slow and has no vision. He did not have a chance in hell of picking up the first.

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I am starting to lose hope even with that. Jones won't cave in and hire a real head coach until things bottom out.

They are nowhere near that. It would take an epic 4-12; 5-11 type season with nobody giving a shit to close out the year before he'd ever get pissed off enough with Garrett.
Actually, I am too. You know why Jerry was so happy after that loss on Sunday? Because he saw Tony's game as validation for the huge contract he gave him. It's also why he gave Kiffin a pass, because the Kiffin move was his baby. No way would he have given Ryan the same pass if that game happened last year.

He loves to show everyone that he's made the right moves on these things. And because he's the one behind these coaching moves this offseason, he's going to give everyone even more rope than he usually would.

So yeah, I think you're right. I've been afraid this whole time we'd win just enough this year for him to justify keeping everything the same. Of course it wouldn't be because we're so much better, but because of this sorry division we play in this year. But 10-6, 9-7 or so will be all he needs to not change a thing. It sucks.

Reaction score
Ron Ryan has like a top 10 d and is gonna get a head gig.

I don't think he's better than kiffen, historically anyway, but the point remains that we are seriously flawed. You can only coach em up so long.

Who was I telling in preseason that we'd be paper think In the dl by week 10 and be in a ton of shoot outs. It's starting earlier than that . I wouldn't be shocked if by the end of the year it's 4 no names upfront

Reaction score
We do not have the talent. I will argue that point all day long with you. Did you see who we had on our defensive line on the last drive by the Broncos?

After watching the game again last night, I have rethought my knee jerk reaction to the Romo int. The dude was lights out. He had his foot stepped on and could not follow through on his throw. He has had many brain farts in his career. That int was not one of them. We needed 16 yards. Our RB is slow and has no vision. He did not have a chance in hell of picking up the first.

Talent at WR?
Talent at TE?
Talent at QB?
Can a slow physical runner manage games of 2-3 ypc during the season and still be effective?
http://www.nfl.com/player/frankgore/2506404/gamesplits?season=2011

Scroll down to splits by opponent. There were 6 games where Gore only managed 2 or 3 yards per game. Alex Smith was handcuffed to only throws he could make 100% of the time, and the WRs were a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players. Dallas has at least this right now without a healthy Miles.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/statistics?season=2011&team=SF&seasonType=

Do they have the talent to control the clock, slow the game (even with short passes), and keep the game less dependent on the defense to control the opponent's score? I think so. Yes the big difference between the 2011 Niners and the 2013 Cowboys is that Dallas does not have the Niner defense, but my point is that the Niner offense in 2011 was about as feeble as the Dallas defense in 2013 - very few consistent and productive players.

Yes the current Dallas defense is both amorphic and capricious. It doesn't seem to have a defined shape or quality and it can go in any direction from being swarming to lost. I'm not sure that it is done developing yet - sometimes, some coaches find a way to not only fix a team's weaknesses but scheme a strength. The CB talent is enough for at least statistically average play. Generally the LB talent could be playing at an NFL average range of output as well. The defensive line is weak, yes, but I always felt the Eagles D-line and LBs were weak during the Jim Johnson years but he gambled masterfully with blitzes and rumors of blitzes to cause opposing offenses problems.

All that to say, it's possible to stop the bleeding on defense enough and allow the offense to control the clock/possessions of the opponents. Its almost an inversed coaching dilemma that Harbaugh had in 2011 with the Niners (i.e. an offense that could not be trusted and a defense with explosion). Obviously if Dallas needs to explode on offense they are capable, but reasonably speaking most scores on offense will be equal to some sort of probable score opportunity by the other team. I just think they have enough talent to dictate the pace of the game and take some of the game pressure away from the defense.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So what is your background, Omega? Did you play football in high school? Ever coached? What kind of work do you do?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Talent at WR?
Talent at TE?
Talent at QB?
Can a slow physical runner manage games of 2-3 ypc during the season and still be effective?
http://www.nfl.com/player/frankgore/2506404/gamesplits?season=2011

Scroll down to splits by opponent. There were 6 games where Gore only managed 2 or 3 yards per game. Alex Smith was handcuffed to only throws he could make 100% of the time, and the WRs were a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players. Dallas has at least this right now without a healthy Miles.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/statistics?season=2011&team=SF&seasonType=

Do they have the talent to control the clock, slow the game (even with short passes), and keep the game less dependent on the defense to control the opponent's score? I think so. Yes the big difference between the 2011 Niners and the 2013 Cowboys is that Dallas does not have the Niner defense, but my point is that the Niner offense in 2011 was about as feeble as the Dallas defense in 2013 - very few consistent and productive players.

Yes the current Dallas defense is both amorphic and capricious. It doesn't seem to have a defined shape or quality and it can go in any direction from being swarming to lost. I'm not sure that it is done developing yet - sometimes, some coaches find a way to not only fix a team's weaknesses but scheme a strength. The CB talent is enough for at least statistically average play. Generally the LB talent could be playing at an NFL average range of output as well. The defensive line is weak, yes, but I always felt the Eagles D-line and LBs were weak during the Jim Johnson years but he gambled masterfully with blitzes and rumors of blitzes to cause opposing offenses problems.

All that to say, it's possible to stop the bleeding on defense enough and allow the offense to control the clock/possessions of the opponents. Its almost an inversed coaching dilemma that Harbaugh had in 2011 with the Niners (i.e. an offense that could not be trusted and a defense with explosion). Obviously if Dallas needs to explode on offense they are capable, but reasonably speaking most scores on offense will be equal to some sort of probable score opportunity by the other team. I just think they have enough talent to dictate the pace of the game and take some of the game pressure away from the defense.
Dallas doesn't have the physical talent on the OL or DL that the niners have. They are also inconsistent from play to play and they make stupid mistakes at the worst possible times. They are the mental midgets of the league.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Good thing we drafted tight ends in the 2nd round all these years. That's where games are won.

Top Bottom