dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Someone is going to leap frog us to get Pitts

For some reason I smell the Eagles taking a shot at him
Why would they have done that? They drafted Dallas Goedert a couple yrs ago and like him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Have no idea if its true Parsons was really rated higher on our board than Surtain or Horn but they were gone, so it doesn't really matter. Archer said he was and Stevie kinda hinted something might be going down at LB for the draft a week ago when he said they wouldn't make any decision on LVE's 5th yr option until after the draft.

That said, in 2018 and 2019 he was graded as the top run defending LB in college football and we absolutely sucked against the run. He seems like a really sure tackler and we have sucked at tackling. He has blinding speed for a guy that size and our defense has looked really slow the past two seasons (especially the front 7), he clearly addresses some strong needs.

With both CB's gone, Pitts and Sewell gone they did the right thing in my opinion, move down a few spots, grab another quality pick for it and still end up with a sure fire starter on defense. I don't know anything about the supposed off-field stuff but if he isn't a problem child then he is likely going to be a really solid player for us.

We now have 4 picks tonight (assuming no trades) and a chance to add several more quality players.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
losing both corners was a dagger to the heart. no one predicted that. Jerry's statement about Parsons is pure damage control. we should have taken Chicago's deal if they offered it to us.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
losing both corners was a dagger to the heart. no one predicted that. Jerry's statement about Parsons is pure damage control. we should have taken Chicago's deal if they offered it to us.

I don't know if there were any "blue chip" guys available at 20 but taking Chicago's deal, had it been offered, would have required some long term planning which this team lacks. Personally, I take #20 and next years first which very well could be a top 10 pick. Dalton is an average QB and he'll be yanked for Fields who will struggle like any rookie.

But we just love players with red flags that we can turn around. Parsons sitting out 2020, along with some of his personal off-field issues, would have taken him off my high first round radar. But I can see why we took him.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And to add, we traded with a division rival and let them fill their biggest position of need......

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Some were actually predicting that could happen though.

I hate the guy and he is wrong way more than right, but Broaddus suggested this the day before the draft that losing both CB's before 10 was a real possibility.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And to add, we traded with a division rival and let them fill their biggest position of need......

Their biggest position of need is QB.

They have many other holes too.

We made out on the pts chart with the trade and got the same player at 12 that we would have took at 10, that's a win. Not worth bellyaching over.

Lastly, if Philly hadnt have got him the NYG would have, that's why they traded down as soon as Smith was picked. Smith would have been far more dangerous for NYG than Philly.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if there were any "blue chip" guys available at 20 but taking Chicago's deal, had it been offered, would have required some long term planning which this team lacks. Personally, I take #20 and next years first which very well could be a top 10 pick. Dalton is an average QB and he'll be yanked for Fields who will struggle like any rookie.

But we just love players with red flags that we can turn around. Parsons sitting out 2020, along with some of his personal off-field issues, would have taken him off my high first round radar. But I can see why we took him.
How do you know that though? The Bears have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 yrs, and they haven't had a losing record since 2017. Dalton is every bit as good as Trubisky (probably better, even at this stage of his career) and the Bears have a good team around him. Its not that far fetched that they could win 8-10 games again. It's a crapshoot.

While I am not a fan of the guys that chose to "sit out" last year, a few others did that too and they actually went before Parsons.

On the off field stuff, I'd still like to see some real facts about it and not just the tabloid heresy. I have no idea what he did or didn't do but some of the stuff I read was centered around frat type hazing stuff.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do you know that though? The Bears have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 yrs, and they haven't had a losing record since 2017. Dalton is every bit as good as Trubisky (probably better, even at this stage of his career) and the Bears have a good team around him. Its not that far fetched that they could win 8-10 games again. It's a crapshoot.

I know because I've seen Dalton play and the Bears will be lucky to go 8 and 8. Trubinsky had a better QB rating than Dalton with less talent on offense. And you know they won't stick with Dalton and Fields will start and take his lumps. I mean, you've seen this play out 100 times before. Yes, it's a crap shoot, but youalso have to play the odds.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I know because I've seen Dalton play and the Bears will be lucky to go 8 and 8. Trubinsky had a better QB rating than Dalton with less talent on offense. And you know they won't stick with Dalton and Fields will start and take his lumps. I mean, you've seen this play out 100 times before. Yes, it's a crap shoot, but youalso have to play the odds.

Dude sorry but that's b/s. Please direct me to the games where Trubisky played behind a hodge podge OL, like our team did for most of last year.

Trubisky is garbage, that's why they cut him loose and replaced him with the guy you are downplaying.

At the end of the day you weigh what you think of the player you like vs what else is available and whether you can still get the same player or someone really close to him if you move down. We know they liked the two CB's, the Oregon OT and the TE and all those guys were gone. They deemed moving down 10 spots too far. Its a defense that needs talent at all 3 levels and had an epic poor run defense. The LB corp is full of major question marks and they drafted the guy with the best run stopping grades in the draft at his position, and said guy runs legit 4.4 or better. They got that guy plus another top-100 pick (now, not later), that seems pretty solid to me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dane Brugler day two mock, only our picks. Love the first two, not excited about the other two.

44. Jevon Holland - S Oregon
75. Milton Williams - DT Louisiana Tech
84. Zech McPhearson - CB Texas Tech
99. James Hudson - OT Cincinnati

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Have no idea if its true Parsons was really rated higher on our board than Surtain or Horn but they were gone, so it doesn't really matter. Archer said he was and Stevie kinda hinted something might be going down at LB for the draft a week ago when he said they wouldn't make any decision on LVE's 5th yr option until after the draft.

That said, in 2018 and 2019 he was graded as the top run defending LB in college football and we absolutely sucked against the run. He seems like a really sure tackler and we have sucked at tackling. He has blinding speed for a guy that size and our defense has looked really slow the past two seasons (especially the front 7), he clearly addresses some strong needs.

With both CB's gone, Pitts and Sewell gone they did the right thing in my opinion, move down a few spots, grab another quality pick for it and still end up with a sure fire starter on defense. I don't know anything about the supposed off-field stuff but if he isn't a problem child then he is likely going to be a really solid player for us.

We now have 4 picks tonight (assuming no trades) and a chance to add several more quality players.
Most mocks I've seen, had him going to the WFT.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
did anybody catch the half ass celebration when the jones clan noticed the war room cam was live after picking parsons?

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score

Actually, after hearing some of the media from Denver and Carolina, it was absolutely predictable that Horn and Surtain would both be gone. But it would have been dumb for Dallas to move up to 7 for either player. What they might have considered was to move up from 44 to 28 to take Stokes ahead of Green Bay.

Top Bottom