sbk92

Reaction score
Free's contract will be a bad one. I wouldn't even contact his agent.

Cythim

Reaction score
I would give Free $3-4 million a year but he is going to get $6-7 million a year at least.

Reaction score
I would give Free $3-4 million a year but he is going to get $6-7 million a year at least.

Agree 100 percent. You just know Jerry is gonna pull the trigger and over pay by 2 or 3 million. then we have a ton of $ invested in tackles.

I'm a Free fan, but you gotta look at the $

Cythim

Reaction score
I'd like to retire but I don't know how much money I'll need, so I won't worry about it until I hit retirement age to find out how much I need to save.

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Agree 100 percent. You just know Jerry is gonna pull the trigger and over pay by 2 or 3 million. then we have a ton of $ invested in tackles.

I'm a Free fan, but you gotta look at the $

Smiths contract will not be that bad. Not signing doug free would be idiotic.

The basic structure of building a team is through scouting, drafting and developing. What would be the point in then allowing a very good player, playing one of the most important positions on the field walk away after spending 4 seasons teaching him and allowing him develop.

First trick is identifying talent, then drafting it, then signing it, then developing it.......long process just to walk away from at its peak.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. I have a feeling that Jerry is going to throw elite tackle $ at Free.

The market dictates that LTs get paid a boatload of money. It's gonna happen, so get ready y'all.

I'll buy sbk a month's supply of Kleenex tissues.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
But none of those teams are in a worse position cap wise than the Cowboys.

Here's what AdamJT13 had to say about the Cowboy's cap situation...

We obviously have some "fat" we could trim from our cap by cutting players, but we can save a ton of cap room just by simple restructuring of contracts. Unlike in previous years that had a cap, we haven't done anything yet to minimize the cap charges for 2011, which is why we have a bunch of guys who have huge base salaries. By converting most of their salaries to bonuses and prorating them, we can save millions in cap room and have what we need to sign players.

sbk92

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike.

So what Gilbert is saying is the Cowboys can do things to improve their worst cap shape in the league status.

I don't doubt that they can. And push the problem further into the future, ala the Redskins.

But so can other teams if they had to. And while the Cowboys are scrambling to create room, other teams will be ready and prepared for this mad dash FA period.

Sorry. Any way you want to spin it, this team is run by the worst GM and cap man in all of football.

sbk92

Reaction score
A 6 win team. Having to get creative just to find room to add a player.

Horrific management.

sbk92

Reaction score
Sbk just answered my question, it is still a problem in the future.

The bottom line is a 6-10 team should not have more salary committed to the following year than any other team in the league.

If that's the situation you find yourself in, you are a poorly run franchise.

Not surprising considering the frauds at the top here.

C

Cr122

Yeah, I understand that and I'm sure they didn't expect to go 6-10 either.

Doing that just made it worse for our egotistical Gm.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand that and I'm sure they didn't expect to go 6-10 either.

Doing that just made it worse for our egotistical Gm.

Focusing on just the 6-10 season is as narrow as Wade focusing on the 13-3 season.

The fact is this team did string a few successful years together, and those that participated in that success were rewarded. I wouldn't have resigned Barber to that huge contract, but I can understand why they did.

C

Cr122

Focusing on just the 6-10 season is as narrow as Wade focusing on the 13-3 season.

The fact is this team did string a few successful years together, and those that participated in that success were rewarded. I wouldn't have resigned Barber to that huge contract, but I can understand why they did.

Not for nothing, but who thought Barber was going to get worse instead of better?

Yeah, we can place some of the blame on the offensive line but Barber's overall production went in the shitter, now it becomes a bad move by the GM. That's Stephen and Jerruh's fault.

sbk92

Reaction score

lol Pathetic.

Yeah. I'm narrow minded over here thinking the Cowboys, with a boatload of holes and 6 wins last season, shouldn't have a payroll like they're a two time defending champion.

Top Bottom