sbk92

Reaction score
New proposed CBA could pose problem for Cowboys with Free, Bowen and Hatcher set to be unrestricted free agents

Progress is made between the owners and players on a new collective bargaining aggreement, according multiple reports.

One issue that has supposedly already been decided is that players with four years experience will be come unrestricted free agents. For the Cowboys, that means that tackle Doug Free and ends Stephen Bowen and Jason Hatcher will be free.

The Cowboys had given Free the top restricted free agent tender with draft pick compensation of a first and third round pick. Bowen and Hatcher received second round tenders.

Now all will be able to test the market and possible sign with another team without the Ccwboys getting anything.

Vice-president Stephen Jones has said on more than one occasion that re-signing Free was a huge priority.

The problem now is how much you sign him for considering they drafted Tyron Smith in the first round to play left tackle if not this year than in the near future.

Free played left tackle for the Cowboys last year and would draw considerably more money on the free agent market as a possible left tackle. The Cowboys will likely have to pay Free left tackle money to keep him.

The problem at defensive end is just as serious for the Cowboys, who just have one veteran end under contract in Igor Olshansky. The Cowboys had hoped to bring both Hatcher and Bowen back with the restricted free agent tender.

Now its possible they could lose both, as well as former starter Marcus Spears who is already and unrestricted free agent.

The Cowboys need to add at least two veteran players at the position whether its one of these three or a combination of one and someone from the outside.

- Clarence E. Hill Jr.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Many teams are going to have similar problems with their 4-year vets suddenly becoming UFA's.

There are going to be many potential holes in many rosters.

sbk92

Reaction score
Many teams are going to have similar problems with their 4-year vets suddenly becoming UFA's.

There are going to be many potential holes in many rosters.

But none of those teams are in a worse position cap wise than the Cowboys.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But none of those teams are in a worse position cap wise than the Cowboys.

Nobody even knows what the cap is yet genius, hence nobody is in trouble. Including the Cowboys.

Unless you have the details of the new cap along with all the details of every player under contract you need to shut the hell up, your basically talking out of your ass again.

sbk92

Reaction score
Nobody even knows what the cap is yet genius, hence nobody is in trouble. Including the Cowboys.

Unless you have the details of the new cap along with all the details of every player under contract you need to shut the hell up, your basically talking out of your ass again.

Moron. The Cowboys have the highest payroll in football. I don't need to know the actual number of the cap ceiling to know they have the least to spend.

You f'n homeristic waste of space piece of shat.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Moron. The Cowboys have the highest payroll in football. I don't need to know the actual number of the cap ceiling to know they have the least to spend.

You f'n homeristic waste of space piece of shat.

Again, you dont know what the cap is nor do you know any details about any player contracts. Your just bitching and moaning because thats what you do. Until we see the details and see what players are let go or get restructured deals, its wasted forum space to whine about it IMO.

Cythim

Reaction score
That is extremely short-sighted, dbair. The team has to be worried about the potential of being over the cap and not having the space to sign FAs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That is extremely short-sighted, dbair. The team has to be worried about the potential of being over the cap and not having the space to sign FAs.

Not really. There's some players with significant cap charges who are either going to be released, restructured or released and then potentially re-signed to better deals.

Until we see what the actual cap is gonna be, and what players get released or new deals signed, there's no reason to worry about it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. I have a feeling that Jerry is going to throw elite tackle $ at Free.

Highly doubtful IMO. I'm sure he'll get a nice deal, but I cant see them breaking the bank to keep him.

He deserves quality starter money, and thats what he'll get.

Reaction score
Highly doubtful IMO. I'm sure he'll get a nice deal, but I cant see them breaking the bank to keep him.

He deserves quality starter money, and thats what he'll get.

Problem is, Jerry has a tendency to over pay players (Barber, Williams, Davis)

sbk92

Reaction score
Again, you dont know what the cap is nor do you know any details about any player contracts. Your just bitching and moaning because thats what you do. Until we see the details and see what players are let go or get restructured deals, its wasted forum space to whine about it IMO.

I don't need to know what the cap is, you dipshat, to know the Cowboys have more 2011 payroll than any other team in the league. Making them in the worst cap shape in the league regardless of what the final cap figure will be.

F restructured deals. That's what you do to improve your cap situation. I'm talking right now today. The Cowboys are in the worst cap shape.

Top Bottom