Slatemosphere

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We know Murray is a straight beast. After watching the Chiefs game, I couldnt help but notice how sweet it would be if we could somehow trade for Knile Davis. How nasty would Knile and Demarco be with this O-line?

I don't think Murray can take this pounding for 16+ games. Do you guys like Randle as a handcuff? He seems like a whatever RB to me and does everything decent instead of one special trait. I wonder what the Chiefs would want for Knile right now. I'd do a 3rd in a heartbeat.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Knile Davis is one of their young up and coming players. They won't trade him.

Doesn't matter tho. We have no business trading a 3rd for a backup RB anyway. Randle doesn't look bad in that role behind this oline.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We know Murray is a straight beast. After watching the Chiefs game, I couldnt help but notice how sweet it would be if we could somehow trade for Knile Davis. How nasty would Knile and Demarco be with this O-line?

I don't think Murray can take this pounding for 16+ games. Do you guys like Randle as a handcuff? He seems like a whatever RB to me and does everything decent instead of one special trait. I wonder what the Chiefs would want for Knile right now. I'd do a 3rd in a heartbeat.

Thanks Jerry, now go back to sleep

Reaction score
Anyone here unconvinced that Dunbar merits an active roster spot?

He's supposed to add a new/different facet to the offense, but he doesn't get many touches and it doesn't seem like the offense particularly needs what Dunbar brings.

I'd like to see what Ryan Williams could do behind this OL.

Reaction score
Anyone here unconvinced that Dunbar merits an active roster spot?

He's supposed to add a new/different facet to the offense, but he doesn't get many touches and it doesn't seem like the offense particularly needs what Dunbar brings.

I'd like to see what Ryan Williams could do behind this OL.

I wanted to keep Ryan Williams over Randle. To me Dunbar has way more worth than Randle does.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd hate to lose Dunbar's raw speed. we don't have a lot of burners on offense. if anything, we should throw him more screens.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dunbar can run the ball. He is nifty and has breakaway speed. They are afraid because of his relatively small frame, he might not be durable enough for between the tackles work. Same height and weight as Emmitt though.

The toss sweep can be effective with a Dunbar type, as can the draw and the swing pass. You don't need special plays or packages for him, that's over-thinking it. Just run your offense the same way you would if he wasn't in there. Get the guy some more touches.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Same height and weight maybe, but built nothing like Emmitt.
He's every bit as nifty as Emmitt, is faster too.

We question his toughness and durability why? We haven't really tested him in that area, to see. How about a game where we feature him, and give HIM 25 carries? Let's find out what we're sitting on.

If Emmitt Smith came out of college today he'd BE Dunbar. Too small, can't stand the pounding. That WAS a pre-draft knock against Emmitt as well. Dorsett too as I recall.

The big backs aren't nifty. It's the difference between a Hershel and a Emmitt. Both are good backs, only one of them was nifty. Murray is a good back. Dunbar is a nifty one.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Lol add that to the list of dumb shit doomsday said
I dunno how many times I have to be right about things, for you clods to start at least thinking about what I tell you.

Today, smaller backs are considered not durable. They are considered situational players. Therefore if Emmitt Smith were entering the NFL today, he would be classified as Dunbar is - and without benefit of some actual work, to find out.

I say Dunbar is getting a raw deal - that's not a dumb statement at all. And all I am calling for is, let's get him in a game the next time Murray is hurt, and give him Murray's workload and see what he is. Sounds reasonable, to me.

Reaction score
Running Dunbar in the stampede lanes where Murray flourishes is silly. Dunbar's resume is about what he can do in space, on draw plays or screens or sweeps. Sending him on a power or dive lane just to be vanilla in offense intentions is just about as absurd as Escobar or Randle running vertical deep receiving patterns. Then again, Garrett had Martellus Bennett running bubble screens. I still don't get why Jason thinks tall is equivalent to fast, elusive and/or explosive.

Here's my proposal. Drop Randle and drop Clutts. Trade for Marcel Reese from the Raiders and bring up Ryan Williams. Reese can block, run, and catch. Pair Dunbar with Reese or have Reese block for Murray. Williams can spell Murray and Reese can be power for short yardage.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Running Dunbar in the stampede lanes where Murray flourishes is silly.
He can get through the holes faster, and be gone after he does. The ONLY knock or question on him has been, can he take the pounding. I want to find that out.

Dorsett - same questions existed about him until we found out he was so nifty, seldom could anyone ever get a solid hit on him. I believe that is Dunbar too.

How do we know this shit if we don't try it and find out?

Reaction score
He can get through the holes faster, and be gone after he does. The ONLY knock or question on him has been, can he take the pounding. I want to find that out.

Dorsett - same questions existed about him until we found out he was so nifty, seldom could anyone ever get a solid hit on him. I believe that is Dunbar too.

How do we know this shit if we don't try it and find out?

True. I'm not saying let's not try something new and see if it works. I have been watching the Dunbar plays this year and the reps that he has been given have not played to his strength. (Going 5 wide with Dunbar as the target is a great concept but the reality is the Garrett 5 wide with slow receivers doesn't give Dunbar the time he needs to be effective). So, my complaint is the Garrett Syndrome of doing the same plays over and over expecting different results without any intelligent adjustment. Dunbar worked great in space last year but this year having him run between tackles has not been effective or explosive or Dunbar-esque.

For 4 years the guy at The DC Times (Bales) has been tracking the Cowboys success with play action and this year in particular has been almost flawless. Yet, those brainless 5 wide formations that I have seen Jason boast "puts pressure on the defense to try to cover" still
get called at the worst times. In the 4 games this year I would love to see the statistics of what happens when Dallas goes 5 wide as opposed to play action. I have seen only sacks, pressure on Romo and incompletions, but inhale not seen every snap.

So why do they keep trying something that doesn't work? That is what I am saying about Dunbar. He has a history of success in space and he has not been successful with Murray type plays.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
True. I'm not saying let's not try something new and see if it works. I have been watching the Dunbar plays this year and the reps that he has been given have not played to his strength. (Going 5 wide with Dunbar as the target is a great concept but the reality is the Garrett 5 wide with slow receivers doesn't give Dunbar the time he needs to be effective). So, my complaint is the Garrett Syndrome of doing the same plays over and over expecting different results without any intelligent adjustment. Dunbar worked great in space last year but this year having him run between tackles has not been effective or explosive or Dunbar-esque.

For 4 years the guy at The DC Times (Bales) has been tracking the Cowboys success with play action and this year in particular has been almost flawless. Yet, those brainless 5 wide formations that I have seen Jason boast "puts pressure on the defense to try to cover" still
get called at the worst times. In the 4 games this year I would love to see the statistics of what happens when Dallas goes 5 wide as opposed to play action. I have seen only sacks, pressure on Romo and incompletions, but inhale not seen every snap.

So why do they keep trying something that doesn't work? That is what I am saying about Dunbar. He has a history of success in space and he has not been successful with Murray type plays.
When have we seen the bolded? He hasn't been running between the tackles, that I've seen. It's been Randle when not Murray. They've been afraid to run Dunbar up the gut, to my knowledge.

Dorsett and Emmitt were deadly between the tackles not because of brute force and size, but because they were nifty.

I agree with you about using him 5 wide. It's nonsensical. Make him a slot receiver if all you're gonna do is make him run routes.

Top Bottom