x69twisted

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Lakers Rule...

10_finals_wallpaper_mvp_128.jpg

C

Cr122

Arroyo returns to Heat Updated July 22

MIAMI -- Carlos Arroyo has finalized his deal to return to the Miami Heat.

Arroyo appeared in 72 games and made 35 starts at point guard for Miami last season, then decided to return to the club after a brief stint as a free agent. He averaged 6.1 points and 3.1 assists, plus had a stellar 4.17 assist-to-turnover ratio.

The team announced his signing on Thursday, giving Arroyo the chance to vie for a championship alongside Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

"By re-signing Carlos, we feel we have accomplished another big step in adding to this team," Heat president Pat Riley said. "Carlos showed last season that he was one of the most competitive and efficient point guards in the NBA, and we are happy to have him back."

Arroyo, who turns 31 later this month, played college basketball in Miami at Florida International.

He becomes the 13th player under contract with Miami for the 2010-11 season and just the second true point guard, joining fellow returnee Mario Chalmers.

x69twisted

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Updated: July 22, 2010, 9:52 PM ET
15-year veteran Ratliff signs with Lakers

ESPN.com news services

The Los Angeles Lakers added depth along the front line by signing Theo Ratliff, the team announced on Thursday.

The 37-year-old played 49 games last season with San Antonio and Charlotte, averaging 3.6 points and 3.2 rebounds. He revived his career while starting 26 games with the Bobcats, averaging 5.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.54 blocked shots. He has averaged 7.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.45 blocks and 25.5 minutes in his 15-year NBA career with the Pistons, 76ers, Hawks, Trail Blazers, Timberwolves, Spurs and Bobcats.

"I've had a long and very rewarding career, and joining a storied and legendary franchise such as the Lakers adds an even more special element," Ratliff said in a statement released by the team. "I look forward to playing for Coach Jackson and with great players such as Kobe [Bryant], Derek [Fisher], Pau [Gasol], Lamar [Odom] Ron Artest, Andrew Bynum and all my other new teammates, and hopefully to helping the Lakers win a third straight championship."

Ratliff said he'll join the two-time defending NBA champions as a backup to Gasol and Bynum.

Ratliff has always seemed to find a home due to his shot-blocking ability. He ranks 18th in NBA history with 1,963 blocks and led the league three times.

"Theo has long been considered to be one of the best defensive big men in the league," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak. "He is a consummate professional and a welcome addition to our team. Together with Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Artest, he gives us a formidable and deep front line."

That could be cool

C

Cr122

Updated: August 2, 2010, 10:17 PM ET
Source: Phil Jackson signs new deal

By Ramona Shelburne
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive

Phil Jackson has officially signed a contract to return to the Los Angeles Lakers.

The 11-time NBA champion coach announced on July 1 that he would return for what he called "the last stand for me" but it took until last week to finalize a new contract, according to a source close to the situation.

Terms of Jackson's new contract have not been released. A message left for his agent Todd Musburger Monday evening was not returned.

With Jackson's deal finally in place, the Lakers were able to quickly reach agreements with the rest of his staff. Longtime assistants Brian Shaw, Frank Hamblen and Jim Cleamons are returning and special assistant Chuck Person has officially been added to the staff.

Ramona Shelburne is a columnist and reporter for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

C

Cr122

BOSTON -- Shaquille O'Neal has changed The Big Three of the Boston Celtics into a Very Big Four.

More From ESPNBoston.com

Chris Forsberg opens up the mailbag to consider the Celtics' addition of Shaquille O'Neal from all angles. Story

• New Shaq nickname

• SportsNation: Will Shaq help C's?

The 7-foot-1, 325-pound center in the twilight of a brilliant career is coming to the Eastern Conference champions, hoping to add to his four NBA titles.

O'Neal signed a two-year contract worth about $3 million on Wednesday, a person with knowledge of the negotiations said on condition of anonymity because no details were released.

So this is where Shaq's colorful career will end after 20 seasons if he completes his contract with the Celtics.

One of the NBA's most charismatic players will finish with a legendary franchise on the parquet floor beneath 17 championship banners and the retired numbers of Bill Russell, Larry Bird, John Havlicek and other NBA greats.

After receiving little interest from other teams, O'Neal will play on that floor with Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, Boston's Big Three since Garnett and Allen arrived before the 2007-08 season

From the first pick in the 1992 draft out of Louisiana State to dominant, rim-rattling inside force to complementary player, O'Neal's NBA travels have taken him to six teams and 15 All-Star games. He is the fifth-leading scorer with 28,255 points and 14th in rebounds with 12,921 in league history. He's averaged 24.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.3 blocks and was the NBA MVP in 2000.

His foul shooting might still be a problem and his lumbering style could slow down a running game, but the Celtics need the big center because Kendrick Perkins is out, possibly until February, following knee surgery. Perkins was hurt in Game 6 of the NBA finals against Los Angeles and missed the Lakers' 83-79 win in Game 7.

"If we get to another Game 7 down the line, I'm sure we will be glad we have Shaq on the team," Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck said.

The team considered too old by some, despite nearly winning the title, has decided to rely for two more years on a group of 30-plus stars, all likely headed for the Hall of Fame.

O'Neal, 38, joins Pierce, 32, Garnett, 34, and Allen, 35. The Celtics also signed free agent center Jermaine O'Neal, 31 -- a six-time All-Star -- after the season.

All five are signed for two seasons, except Pierce, who has four years left on the deal he signed after the season. Point guard Rajon Rondo, 24, also is in the fold for four more years.

"I am honored to be joining the Celtics," Shaq said in a statement issued by the club. "I have played against Paul, Ray, Kevin, Rajon, and Jermaine for many years and it will be great to be able to call them my teammates. I cannot wait to get to Boston to get started in pursuit of another championship."

The Celtics won their NBA-high 17th championship in 2008.

"It is not every day that you can add a player of Shaquille's caliber to your team," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in the statement. "His past experience speaks for itself and we believe that he is a great fit for our roster."

Not far from where the Celtics play, another large figure on the Boston sports scene spread the news.

"Hey, they signed Shaq here," David "Big Papi" Ortiz said out loud in the Red Sox clubhouse after taking batting practice at Fenway Park before the game with the Cleveland Indians.

Just which of the two O'Neals will start at center remains uncertain with Perkins recovering from surgery for torn ligaments in his right knee.

"I am very excited," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "Adding a player like Shaq is a major plus and it fills a void for our team. He's a real nice piece of the puzzle and he will complement us in where we want to go this coming season."

O'Neal has won three championships with the Lakers along with his latest, in 2006, with Miami when he was teammates with Dwyane Wade.

The Cleveland Cavaliers signed O'Neal before last season, hoping he could help LeBron James win his first title. O'Neal averaged a career-low 12.0 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in 53 games, and the Cavaliers lost the Eastern Conference semifinals to the Celtics in six games.

In his last game, O'Neal had 11 points and 4 rebounds in a 94-85 loss in Boston.

That's where he's scheduled to begin his next season in a marquee matchup on Oct. 26 against the Miami Heat with James, Wade and Chris Bosh.

On Tuesday, O'Neal sounded unsure if he would ever play another NBA game after a difficult offseason of uncertainty.

"For me, it's been a real thinking process," he said in Orlando. "I came into the league very graciously and want to go out very graciously. My main thought was I would like to play for a winning franchise, somebody that's used to winning, somebody that keeps winning. Hopefully, I'll make my decision here in the next one or two days."

Now it's been made. He will wear No. 36 in Boston.

More From ESPNBoston.com

Chris Forsberg opens up the mailbag to consider the Celtics' addition of Shaquille O'Neal from all angles. Story

• New Shaq nickname

• SportsNation: Will Shaq help C's?

The 7-foot-1, 325-pound center in the twilight of a brilliant career is coming to the Eastern Conference champions, hoping to add to his four NBA titles.

O'Neal signed a two-year contract worth about $3 million on Wednesday, a person with knowledge of the negotiations said on condition of anonymity because no details were released.

So this is where Shaq's colorful career will end after 20 seasons if he completes his contract with the Celtics.

One of the NBA's most charismatic players will finish with a legendary franchise on the parquet floor beneath 17 championship banners and the retired numbers of Bill Russell, Larry Bird, John Havlicek and other NBA greats.

After receiving little interest from other teams, O'Neal will play on that floor with Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, Boston's Big Three since Garnett and Allen arrived before the 2007-08 season

From the first pick in the 1992 draft out of Louisiana State to dominant, rim-rattling inside force to complementary player, O'Neal's NBA travels have taken him to six teams and 15 All-Star games. He is the fifth-leading scorer with 28,255 points and 14th in rebounds with 12,921 in league history. He's averaged 24.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.3 blocks and was the NBA MVP in 2000.

His foul shooting might still be a problem and his lumbering style could slow down a running game, but the Celtics need the big center because Kendrick Perkins is out, possibly until February, following knee surgery. Perkins was hurt in Game 6 of the NBA finals against Los Angeles and missed the Lakers' 83-79 win in Game 7.

"If we get to another Game 7 down the line, I'm sure we will be glad we have Shaq on the team," Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck said.

The team considered too old by some, despite nearly winning the title, has decided to rely for two more years on a group of 30-plus stars, all likely headed for the Hall of Fame.

O'Neal, 38, joins Pierce, 32, Garnett, 34, and Allen, 35. The Celtics also signed free agent center Jermaine O'Neal, 31 -- a six-time All-Star -- after the season.

All five are signed for two seasons, except Pierce, who has four years left on the deal he signed after the season. Point guard Rajon Rondo, 24, also is in the fold for four more years.

"I am honored to be joining the Celtics," Shaq said in a statement issued by the club. "I have played against Paul, Ray, Kevin, Rajon, and Jermaine for many years and it will be great to be able to call them my teammates. I cannot wait to get to Boston to get started in pursuit of another championship."

The Celtics won their NBA-high 17th championship in 2008.

"It is not every day that you can add a player of Shaquille's caliber to your team," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in the statement. "His past experience speaks for itself and we believe that he is a great fit for our roster."

Not far from where the Celtics play, another large figure on the Boston sports scene spread the news.

"Hey, they signed Shaq here," David "Big Papi" Ortiz said out loud in the Red Sox clubhouse after taking batting practice at Fenway Park before the game with the Cleveland Indians.

Just which of the two O'Neals will start at center remains uncertain with Perkins recovering from surgery for torn ligaments in his right knee.

"I am very excited," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "Adding a player like Shaq is a major plus and it fills a void for our team. He's a real nice piece of the puzzle and he will complement us in where we want to go this coming season."

O'Neal has won three championships with the Lakers along with his latest, in 2006, with Miami when he was teammates with Dwyane Wade.

The Cleveland Cavaliers signed O'Neal before last season, hoping he could help LeBron James win his first title. O'Neal averaged a career-low 12.0 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in 53 games, and the Cavaliers lost the Eastern Conference semifinals to the Celtics in six games.

In his last game, O'Neal had 11 points and 4 rebounds in a 94-85 loss in Boston.

That's where he's scheduled to begin his next season in a marquee matchup on Oct. 26 against the Miami Heat with James, Wade and Chris Bosh.

On Tuesday, O'Neal sounded unsure if he would ever play another NBA game after a difficult offseason of uncertainty.

"For me, it's been a real thinking process," he said in Orlando. "I came into the league very graciously and want to go out very graciously. My main thought was I would like to play for a winning franchise, somebody that's used to winning, somebody that keeps winning. Hopefully, I'll make my decision here in the next one or two days."

Now it's been made. He will wear No. 36 in Boston.

C

Cr122

Updated: August 4, 2010, 3:17 PM ET
Report: LeBron James returns Dec. 2

How will LeBron James be received when he goes back to Cleveland as a member of the Miami Heat?

A national television audience will find out when the Heat make the first of two visits to the Cavaliers on Dec. 2, The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported. The game will be on TNT.

More from ESPN.com

The new-look Heat will be put to the test on opening day in Boston and at the Lakers on Christmas Day, writes ESPN.com's Marc Stein. Story

• 2010-11 partial NBA schedule

James and new teammates Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade will make their regular-season debut Oct. 26 against the Boston Celtics, the NBA announced on Tuesday.

The Los Angeles Lakers will host the Houston Rockets in the other opening-night game on TNT. The Rockets hope to have Yao Ming back in the lineup after he missed last season with a foot injury.

The Heat will open at home Oct. 29 against the Orlando Magic and visit the defending champion Lakers on Christmas Day.

When James returns to Cleveland, the city where he played seven seasons before leaving as a free agent last month, the reaction could be ugly. Many Cleveland fans were enraged when James announced on July 8, on national television, that he was leaving for Miami. Owner Dan Gilbert fired off a scathing letter promising the Cavs will win a title before James does, and the oversized banner of James near Quicken Loans Arena was pulled down shortly thereafter.

The Cavs will also host the Heat on March 29, according to The Plain Dealer. Cleveland will visit Miami on Dec. 15 and Jan. 31, according to multiple media reports.

Miami's season opener in Boston will also be nationally televised by TNT.

The Heat will enter their regular-season opener with a substantially overhauled roster, while the Celtics also made changes and re-signed stars Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.

The league officially released its opening week, Christmas Day and Martin Luther King Day schedules Tuesday night on NBA TV.

The Christmas schedule will again feature five games, highlighted by the return of the Heat-Lakers matchup that was regularly played Dec. 25 after Los Angeles traded Shaquille O'Neal to Miami in 2004.

Boston will visit Orlando on Christmas for a rematch of the East finals. The remainder of that day's schedule includes Chicago at New York, Denver at Oklahoma City and Portland at Golden State.

Orlando gets two high-profile games in the first four days of the season. The Magic host No. 1 overall pick John Wall and Washington on Oct. 28 to open their new Amway Center, then travel to Miami the next night for the first of four meetings with their state and Southeast Division rival Heat.

The Magic and Celtics will meet again on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The Lakers will host the rising Thunder, who took them to six tough games last season in the first round, later that night.

The full NBA schedule will be released Aug. 10.

RotaryP7

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Wow, I can't wait. Should be a fun and exciting NBA season. I'm going to be so booked with my Cowboys and Heat this fall! :)

Should be a good opening game. Heat @ Celtics.

C

Cr122

Updated: October 15, 2010, 7:12 PM ET
His Airness: Kobe Bryant top-10 guard
Jordon saying he'd score a 100 in todays game.

[video]http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5686980[/video]

cowboys2194

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Cavs- 24 game losing streak, longest ever tied with there own record set back in the 80's lol

C

Cr122

Updated: March 22, 2011, 2:37 PM ET
Tim Duncan on crutches; return up in air

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6247278

SAN ANTONIO -- Tim Duncan is on crutches and the San Antonio Spurs don't know how long they'll be without their All-Star forward.

But Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Tuesday an MRI exam showed Duncan's ankle "looks good" structurally.

Buford said team doctors are still waiting for the swelling on Duncan's left ankle to subside. It will likely be another two or three days before a timetable is set.

The 34-year-old Duncan sprained the ankle Monday night in a win over Golden State. It's the first significant injury all season for the NBA's winningest team.

The 34-year-old All-Star fell and immediately reached for his left foot after landing on the foot of Ekpe Udoh following a short jumper early in the first quarter. Duncan lay on his side, clutching his foot with both hands, for more than a minute before being helped into the locker room.

The AT&T Center fell quiet when Duncan crashed to the court and reached for his foot. Tony Parker was one of the first players over to check on him; Parker then turned and winced at Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who was standing in front of the Spurs bench with his hands in his pockets and watching his two-time MVP writhe on the ground.

Following the game, Popovich said Duncan would be out "a while" but didn't have a timetable.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

C

Cr122

Anyone watching any of these first round matchups, and who do you have winning it?

I have the Lakers vs. Heat. Lakers win in seven.

Top Bottom