sbk92

Reaction score
This is the worst racing I've ever seen. Two car packs. They have to swap every few laps to keep from overheating. Just awful shat racing. I can't imagine why they would make it like this.

C

Cr122

Tough break for our drivers, sbk. Flat tires all but ruined it for us.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
nascar has turned to shit over the last few years.

Pretty much. This isn't the same Nascar I grew up watching with my dad.

Nascar just peeks my interest enough anymore till baseball season starts then I rarely if ever tune in. Props to the 20 y/o kid who won. Other than that I thought it was a crapfest. They might as well put magnets on every cars front and back bumper and follow everyone around like a choo choo train. Disengage them with 3 laps to go and last car standing after multiple attempts at a green/white/checker flag wins.

C

Cr122

They had to make changes, it was too dangerous.

Since Dale Earnhardt's death has there been any others? No.

There would of been more if there weren't any changes to racing. Was it fun to watch drivers get killed?

sbk92

Reaction score
Worst Daytona Speedweek ever.

They managed to take an awful product, plate racing, and make it even worse.

I don't know what you call it, but that isn't racing. So I'm not impressed by the kid winning. F him and his fake trophy. He essentially won the lottery. He didn't out race a soul today.

sbk92

Reaction score

There would of been more if there weren't any changes to racing. Was it fun to watch drivers get killed?

lol

They were plate racing years before Earnhardt died. WTF are you talking about?

sbk92

Reaction score
And ya know what Earnhardt thought of plate racing?

He hated it. Said it wasn't real racing. And he was right.

Then he ends up dying in this "safe" form of "racing".

C

Cr122

lol

They were plate racing years before Earnhardt died. WTF are you talking about?

Well, that's what I meant because these guys that hate racing, say it's boring now because of it.

C

Cr122

Then he ends up dying in this "safe" form of "racing".

Earnhart died because of impact, he wasn't wearing the HANS Device, and the walls then were nothing like they are today.

I mean I know it wasn't mandatory at the time, but he died because of it.

Mr.Po

Reaction score

Nothing wrong with safety. Protect your product the best you can for the betterment of the sport. Don't over analyze and change it to the point it looks like a shell of it's former self. Goodell's safety crusade in the NFL is much the same way. The enemy of good is better. His incessant tweaking with the rules is changing the landscape of the NFL it's not all for the better IMO.

sbk92

Reaction score
Earnhart died because of impact, he wasn't wearing the HANS Device, and the walls then were nothing like they are today.

I mean I know it wasn't mandatory at the time, but he died because of it.

He died because his seat belt failed and he suffered a skull fracture.

I still don't understand the point you were trying to make. You say these changes had to be made because Earnhard died. And no drivers have died since. The problem with that is these changes were made years before Earnhardt died.

C

Cr122

He died because his seat belt failed and he suffered a skull fracture.

I still don't understand the point you were trying to make. You say these changes had to be made because Earnhard died. And no drivers have died since. The problem with that is these changes were made years before Earnhardt died.

There's conflicting reports that his belt didn't fail.

Injuries sustained:

The official cause of Earnhardt's death in the medical examiners autopsy report was listed as "blunt force injuries of the head". It noted, among other things, that Earnhardt sustained:

Basilar skull fracture (fatal)
Eight broken ribs on his left side
Broken left ankle
Fractured sternum (possibly from CPR)
Collarbone and hip abrasions (an indication that the seat belts did not fail

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't think that indicates his belt didn't fail. You can get those same marks breaking your seat belt open on impact.

The bottom line is these plate races were not a result of Earnhardt's death. He raced in plate races. He died in a plate race. So your comment about how Nascar had to do this in response to his death is wrong.

It's awful racing and it doesn't make the drivers safer. The soft walls do. The hans device does. The new car does. Running in packs at 200 mph rather than spread out at 220 doesn't improve driver safety.

These plate races were born when Bobby Allison and Richard Petty both had accidents on the super speedways where their cars became airborn and nearly left the track. Back in the late 80's. Over a decade before Dale Earnhardt died. It was fan safety that was in mind when the restrictor plates were born. The roof flaps were also added at this time to keep the cars on the track.

Last edited:

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
What are these restricting plates you guys talk about? Is it a governor for the gas pedal or something?

sbk92

Reaction score
What are these restricting plates you guys talk about? Is it a governor for the gas pedal or something?

It goes between the carburetor and intake manifold to reduce the flow of air and fuel into the engine.

Top Bottom