C

Cr122

Hendrick is smart enough to get the right crew for him, so I think an improvement will be seen starting in Feb.

C

Cr122

Updated: January 4, 2011, 7:08 PM ET
Ray Evernham to consult for Hendrick

By David Newton
ESPN.com

Ray Evernham has reunited with former boss Rick Hendrick in a business deal that will not allow Evernham to remain an analyst for ESPN's NASCAR coverage.

Ray Evernham Enterprises has been retained to consult for the Hendrick Companies, a management company formed in 2005 to oversee strategic initiatives for Hendrick, one of the largest automobile dealers in the United States.

Evernham will not be involved on the motorsports side where, as a crew chief for Hendrick Motorsports, he won three Sprint Cup championships with Jeff Gordon in the 1990s.

Evernham will develop special projects related to Hendrick's various business entities, including development of the Hendrick Performance brand of high-performance vehicles for retail consumers.

"It's no secret that I've missed all the relationships I had at Hendrick," Evernham told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "So being able to go work with Rick and the people I knew at Hendrick Automotive, it's going to be like going back to work in the family business side.

"Unfortunately, it could cause a conflict and I don't want to put ESPN or Rick Hendrick or myself in that position. I have had a great relationship with ESPN. If there was any way I could have worked that out I would have loved to do it. That was one of the hardest things about making the decision."

"Ray has been a valuable member of our NASCAR team for the past three seasons and we wish him all the best in his new role," said Rich Feinberg, vice president of motorsports for ESPN.

"If he ever wants to come back, we'd be happy to talk to him."

In a statement Tuesday, Hendrick said, "Hendrick Performance parts and cars will have a racing pedigree, and Ray is someone who will help ensure that on behalf of our customers and dealers. He's assembled a terrific group of people at REE, and I see a lot of opportunities for them to be a valuable resource for our organization on projects like this. I know the kind of high standards Ray sets."

Evernham left Hendrick Motorsports after the 1998 season to form his own Sprint Cup team, Evernham Motorsports. He sold majority interest in that organization to George Gillett in 2007 and opened Ray Evernham Enterprises.

Evernham was freed from his non-compete clause with Gillett in November after the financially strapped Gillett surrendered ownership of the race team that had since been renamed Richard Petty Motorsports to Richard Petty.

Evernham, as he said in November, still is considering legal action against Gillett for millions still owed.

Evernham said his venture with Hendrick does not prohibit him from working on the motorsports side with other organizations. He continues to operate a dirt track in the Charlotte area and this past season he developed a dirt Legends car for Speedway Motorsports chairman Bruton Smith.

There was speculation last season that Evernham would return to Hendrick Motorsports to work with Dale Earnhardt Jr. or other aspects of the HMS program. But Evernham made it clear he was not interested in returning to that side of the business.

"I'm not interested in being assigned to a race team," Evernham said. "I'll do whatever Rick needs me to do to help. Right now his main focus is on the business side. The timing is perfect. We're doing things with performance cars as the world is changing in Detroit.

"I'm real excited about all the opportunities to work with the Hendrick brand."

David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at dnewtonespn@aol.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

---------- --------------- --------------------- -----------------

Good, I hope he can help out Jr.

sbk92

Reaction score
It's only a little more than a month away, cr122.

Daytona speedweek starts Feb. 12 with the shooutout.

C

Cr122

It's only a little more than a month away, cr122.

Daytona speedweek starts Feb. 12 with the shooutout.

Ayuh, I'm excited as hell about it, it's like the Super Bowl for football.

Can't wait.

sbk92

Reaction score
Here's Kahne's car for next season. After that, he switches over to the Hendrick 5 car.

4 is his sprint car number for Kasey Kahne Racing.

2011-kasey-kahne.jpg

C

Cr122

Here's Kahne's car for next season. After that, he switches over to the Hendrick 5 car.

4 is his sprint car number for Kasey Kahne Racing.

2011-kasey-kahne.jpg

I can't wait until he's part of the Hendrick's team.

sbk92

Reaction score
NASCAR: Simplicity the aim in new scoring system

By Jim Utter - jutter@charlotteobserver.com

NASCAR hopes fans will get the point of its new scoring system.

On Wednesday night, NASCAR Chairman Brian France unveiled a new, simplified scoring system for all three of its national series – Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Trucks – as well as alterations to the Chase for the Cup format which decides the Cup series champion.

“The most important reason is simplicity,” France said during a news conference at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. “Many of our most loyal fans don’t fully understand the points system we have used to date.

“It’s comparable to our previous system, but it is easier to follow.”

Under the new system, 43 points will be awarded to the driver who finishes first in a race, descending down a point until the last place driver (43rd place) will receive one point.

In addition, three extra points will be awarded for a win, one extra point for leading a lap and one extra point for leading the most laps.

The most a driver can win is 48 points. Coincidentally, that’s also the car number of Jimmie Johnson, who has won the last five Cup championships.

The Chase format will remain largely the same except now the Top 10 drivers in points after 26 races will qualify for the Chase and then the next two drivers with the most wins (so long as they are in the Top 20 in points).

Any ties will be broken by points position. If no drivers have wins after the 10th position in points, the last two positions in the Chase will go to the drivers in 11th and 12th in points.

Drivers will continue to be seeded to start the Chase based on number of wins (three points for each win). However, the two drivers who make the Chase by wins only will always begin the Chase 11th and 12th.

Since last summer France has talked about the possibility of making changes to the Chase format, hoping to capture more “Game 7 moments.” There was also much talk of putting more significance on winning, although that doesn’t appear to have been a priority.

“We didn’t make a fundamental change in wins or anything else because there’s always a balance,” France said. “We like that balance.”

NASCAR has changed its Chase format several times since it was implemented in 2004. Among the changes: expanding the field from 10 to 12 drivers and awarding of bonus points for wins which were then used to seed drivers to start the Chase.

The current points system has remained relatively stable since legend says it was first developed on a napkin over drinks at a bar in Daytona Beach, Fla., in 1974.

The system gives 175 points to the winner and decreases in increments of five points and then three points down to 34 points for last place. Five points are awarded for leading a lap and five additional points to the driver who leads the most laps. Under that system the most points a driver can earn in a race are 195.

Reaction was positive across the sport.

“With the new points system, drivers are encouraged to win races in order to be in a position to win the championship,” said Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage.

Added Atlanta Motor Speedway president Ed Clark: “NASCAR is to be saluted for their off-season work on the significant program changes. The new elements will keep the sport fresh and interesting for both long-time fans and new followers of the sport.”

Perhaps Brian Vickers summed up the driver response best.

“The difference is easy – the 43 to one points is explainable to anyone by a text and not a long email,” he said. “It’s all nice – but when does Daytona start again? I’m ready to race.”

sbk92

Reaction score
They're turning over 200 MPH in the draft in shootout practice today.

Expect Nascar to go with smaller plates soon.

C

Cr122

They're turning over 200 MPH in the draft in shootout practice today.

Expect Nascar to go with smaller plates soon.

Absolutely, there will be smaller restrictor plates. That's insane.

C

Cr122

Jr. takes the poll for the Daytona 500. :towel

Forget it he crashed in practice.

sbk92

Reaction score
Jr. wrecked his car in practice today. He'll start in the back in the 500.

sbk92

Reaction score
MotherF me sideways.

I can't stand Chevy. I pretty much hate every Chevy driver to ever race in the sport. But I have to stick with Kahne as he makes his move to Hendrick. I hated the idea but I figured as a Bill Elliott fan who simply switched to Kahne as he took over the 9 car, I could always latch on to Chase Elliott when he arrives in the Cup series. It's only a matter of time. The kid is already racing and beating Cup drivers in a lower series.

Anywho....MotherFer.....

Chase Elliott signs development deal

Associated Press

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Hendrick Motorsports has signed 15-year-old Chase Elliott to a driver development deal.

Elliott is the son of 1988 NASCAR champion Bill Elliott.

He will receive support as he drives Chevrolets for Bill Elliott Racing until he turns 18 and is eligible to run in NASCAR national series events.

NASCAR last week lowered the age limit to 15 for regional touring series events, and Elliott will enter a combination of super late model, pro late model and NASCAR regional touring series events this season.

Elliott won 13 late model races last year and had 37 top 10 finishes in 40 starts.

sbk92

Reaction score
Kornheiser '60 percent' sure NASCAR is fixed

By Jay Hart
Yahoo Sports

Did NASCAR rig things so Dale Earnhardt Jr. could win the pole for Sunday's Daytona 500?

That's the accusation Tony Kornheiser made Tuesday on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption."

"Someone I talked to who covered auto racing for a lot of years, said she believed there was a 60 percent chance that Junior qualified with a car not quite up to code, and people looked the other way," Kornheiser said.

Well, there you have it. Kornheiser talked to someone who's "60 percent" sure the fix is in, so it must be true. Never mind that he doesn't mention who said reporter is or offer what evidence — if any — she provided to back her claim.

Look, we get that there are conspiracy theories out there, especially when it comes to Dale Earnhardt Jr. But it's one thing for fans to espouse those theories, quite another for a journalist to do so on national television — even in a light-hearted forum like PTI — with no more proof than he talked to someone who's 60 percent sure.

"We're hearing opinions from people who have no idea," former crew chief and ESPN analyst Andy Petree said. "You're working right next to every team in there. If I saw something on somebody else's car that I thought wasn't right, I'm gonna be the first one to make sure somebody knows it. And they'll do the same thing to me. That's not possible in this garage area. The integrity of this sport, I can vouch for it for 30 years I've been doing it, and I've never ever seen anything like that."

Even by Kornheiser's own admission the story has no merit. Journalism 101 dictates you don't report anything you don't believe is 100 percent accurate. So why would Kornheiser question the validity of an entire sport when he acknowledges his own claim has a 40 percent chance of being wrong?

We'll let you decide.

Here is the transcript of the conversation between Kornheiser and guest host Dan LeBatard:

LeBatard: Since we are already questioning college football's integrity, why don't you start investigating NASCAR's too, Mr. Restrictor Plate.

This is the 10th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death, [TV] ratings are down since. Two hundred thousand fans will hold up three fingers in his honor at the Daytona 500 on Sunday. It just so happens that his son, Dale Earnhart Jr., has the pole position for that race. You believe the fix is in, don't you?

Kornheiser: Well, it's a great America moment isn't it when Dale Earnhardt Jr. at Daytona can have the pole position ... a guy who has not won a race in his last 93 starts.

There are people in and around the NASCAR world, not just drivers but people who cover the sport as well, who are winking at this one. Who are wondering if this wasn't a set-up because it's the pole position, it's not winning the race.

It's just getting on the pole, having the lead and bringing the viewers in. Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the most popular driver for the last seven or eight years and he can't win a race. This is a good set-up moment, is it not?

LeBatard: But is it a great American moment or is it professional wrestling? If you're going to lob this accusation out there ... and look, I've heard the comments where people say you let something go on the car and give a guy a certain advantage. I can't deny that Junior winning would be good for NASCAR.

Kornheiser: Everytime he runs if he wins it's good for NASCAR because he is the most popular guy out there and they want to get the ratings back up. I think the suggestion here, someone I talked to who covered auto racing for a lot of years, said she believed there was a 60 percent chance that Junior qualified with a car not quite up to code and people looked the other way.

There are no points involved, the other drivers don't get hurt and running three good laps is not the same as running 500 miles. Everybody in NASCAR is going to feel good about this.

C

Cr122

Wait if he crashed in practice how does he have the pole, what did I miss?

Top Bottom