sbk92

Reaction score
SportsDayDFW sports

Cowboys beat writer David Moore answered your questions in a chat Friday. Here are some highlights.

Tim asks ... Is Mark Ingram a possibility for the Dallas Cowboys with 9th pick?

DAVID MOORE: Haven't talked to enough people yet to have a feel for where Ingram would go, but he is a top 10 pick. If he's the best player on the board when the Cowboys pick, I'd do it in a second.

Guest asks ... Do you think that Dallas will get the OL help that we need in FA and then get DB help in the draft? or maybe the other way around. Or am I just completely off base on this?

DAVID MOORE: The Cowboys need to get offensive line and secondary help both from the draft. They need good, young talent in both positions at manageable contracts. The way to do that is through the draft. But if you had to choose one area they are more likely to supplment through free agency than the draft, I'd say it's the offensive line. You have more spots to fill there than you do in the secondary and young linemen sometimes take a year or two to develop physically.

jj asks ... With the labor issues is it for sure that there will be a draft in April. Will any rookie wage scale be retro to this draft class?

DAVID MOORE: The draft will take place and that will allow teams to hold the rights to those players. Nothing retro will need to be done. There will be no rookie wage scale in place. The team will not be able to sign the rookies because there will be no CBA. Once the new rules are in place, the rookies will fall into whatever system is collectively bargained.

Buford asks ... When Jerry grabbed the mike yesterday and made his famous statement about Garrett making the decisions, did he include "drafting decisions" in the statement?

DAVID MOORE: Not specificially. But he did say there would not be a player on this roster that Garrett didn't want. If Garrett is in the draft room and he says he doesn't want a player, I would take that to mean he won't be drafted.

ZAK asks ... You think the Cowboys will truly go for the "best player available," or will their glaring needs at OL and secondary cause them to reach a la Shante Carver, et al?

DAVID MOORE: I would argue there are so many glaring needs on this team that it will make it easier for the Cowboys to go for the best player available. If the best player at No. 9 is not a quarterback, tight end or outside linebacker I'm thinking he's fair game.

C

Cr122

Guest asks ... Do you think that Dallas will get the OL help that we need in FA and then get DB help in the draft? or maybe the other way around. Or am I just completely off base on this?

DAVID MOORE: The Cowboys need to get offensive line and secondary help both from the draft. They need good, young talent in both positions at manageable contracts. The way to do that is through the draft. But if you had to choose one area they are more likely to supplment through free agency than the draft, I'd say it's the offensive line. You have more spots to fill there than you do in the secondary and young linemen sometimes take a year or two to develop physically.

Which is why I believe we go after guys like Mankins, Dahl, Light or Lutui.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd take Mankins and Light over any of our starters right now.

For the price they would command? No. Now Dahl and others. If we go after Mankins, how is that any different from what we did with Davis? Think about this for a moment. Why are the Patriots letting him walk? Maybe because they know that it's their system that showcased Mankins. Two teams I would never make trades with: the Patriots and the Eagles. Nor would I go after any of their players that they've released.

C

Cr122

For the price they would command? No. Now Dahl and others. If we go after Mankins, how is that any different from what we did with Davis? Think about this for a moment. Why are the Patriots letting him walk? Maybe because they know that it's their system that showcased Mankins. Two teams I would never make trades with: the Patriots and the Eagles. Nor would I go after any of their players that they've released.

Or is it they just know how to draft talent, and don't care about losing veterans.

sbk92

Reaction score
The Patriots offense started to really click when Mankins came back.

He's a legit stud. Not a system player.

Reaction score
I would love Mankins i agree he's no system player he would be a lock at the LG spot.

Plus i hope Davin Joseph is available because he would be a great upgrade over davis at the RG spot.

Reaction score
I've thought about Ingram.

Part of me would like to get another work horse back in here. And I like how he's been compared to Emmitt for a few years.

But no back would be worth a shat behind our line. We need to fix that first.

Also, you can find backs pretty much anywhere in the draft. I wouldn't be too crazy about taking one with a top 10 pick.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Or is it they just know how to draft talent, and don't care about losing veterans.

I think it's more as to how they draft players that FIT their system, there no more talented than any other. How many times I've seen Eagles' players light it up while playing for the Eagles, but to go elsewhere to stink it up? Dawkins is pretty much the exception.

casmith07

Spectator
Reaction score
The only players that New England has that are system guys are the skill positions - CBs, WRs, RBs, etc.

Their linemen are not system players. If you believe that, then nobody should want Richard Seymour, either.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd take Mankins and Light over any of our starters right now.

Why would you want Matt Light? He's old and just ranked at the top of the league in sacks allowed, I think the number was either 10.5 or 11.5

sbk92

Reaction score
The only players that New England has that are system guys are the skill positions - CBs, WRs, RBs, etc.

Their linemen are not system players. If you believe that, then nobody should want Richard Seymour, either.

Right.

I think it's a good strategy to at least be wary of Patriots and Eagles players. They are well run teams who know how to use their players and know when to let a player go. But to completely dismiss all their players would be foolish.

Mankins is a beast.

C

Cr122

Why would you want Matt Light? He's old and just ranked at the top of the league in sacks allowed, I think the number was either 10.5 or 11.5

Well not so much Light, but Mankins for sure.

I mean look what Colomblow did this year, the guys washed up.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I've thought about Ingram.

Part of me would like to get another work horse back in here. And I like how he's been compared to Emmitt for a few years.

But no back would be worth a shat behind our line. We need to fix that first.

Also, you can find backs pretty much anywhere in the draft. I wouldn't be too crazy about taking one with a top 10 pick.

I agree. We need to pass on the sexy picks and repair this OLine.

Shit is fuckin' serious.

Top Bottom