touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
Dr. Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota said that, as of now, the outbreak is largely affecting a limited group of "highly sexually active gay men," and added that many gay men are at low risk for contracting the virus.

We see in the United States that about 52% of gay men have between zero and 11 partners in their lifetime. But there, on the upper end of that scale, 10% that have more than 101, and about 1.9% that have more than 400 partners over a lifetime," Osterholm said. "When you look at those risks, it's much, much, much, much higher in that group that's having a large number of partners."

Osterholm said that a recent study found that nearly half of those who have tested positive for monkeypox have participated in group sex during the time that they likely became infected.

"We have to emphasize that. Why? Because we do have a major shortage of vaccines.

touchdown

Reaction score
Hey, I've got an idea... Let's make June, Monkeypox Awareness Month.

The "ribbon" can be yellow or brown.

• Lulz
Reactions: VTA

touchdown

Reaction score
MPV (Monekypox Virvius) FAQs

Some Highlights:

5. Why are only men who have sex with men or people who identify as gay getting MPV? There is nothing about being gay or having sex with men that uniquely causes MPV infections. Right now, infections are happening from events and festivals where part of the activities included dancing and situations where people are having close, skin-to-skin contact with other people.

6. Who can get MPV? MPV infections are not just happening in men who have sex with men.

7. Is MPV transmitted by sex? Yes, and transmission is also occurring from skin-to-skin contact that happens during other activities like dancing, hugging, massages, and kissing.

8. Should I stop going to sex parties? Many MPV cases both in the U.S. and Europe are happening from sex parties or from having sex with multiple, anonymous sex partners. As cases in Dallas and the U.S. are rising quickly, it is reasonable to hold off from attending or participating in sex parties for at least a month until we have better access to vaccines and learn more about how to be safe in these situations.

9. I attended a sex party over the weekend, or I think I may have been exposed by someone. How can I get checked? Unless you have a visible rash, sore, or blister, we will not be able to determine whether or not you have MPV.

10. Should I not attend an upcoming festival or event? Attending a large gathering or event by itself would not be considered a risk, but it would be important to avoid settings or situations that may be connected to the event like spin-off or side events where people may have close skin-to-skin contact with others.

11. Should I avoid having online sex or having sex with people I do not know well? Deciding who you choose and what types of sex you have is a very personal decision.

touchdown

Reaction score
The World Health Organization has renamed monkeypox as mpox, citing concerns the original name of the decades-old animal disease could be construed as discriminatory and racist.

This appears to be the first time the agency has attempted to rechristen a disease decades after it was first named.

Numerous other diseases, including Japanese encephalitis, German measles, Marburg virus and Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome have been named after geographic regions, which could now be considered prejudicial. WHO has not suggested changing any of those names.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
The World Health Organization has renamed monkeypox as mpox, citing concerns the original name of the decades-old animal disease could be construed as discriminatory and racist.

This appears to be the first time the agency has attempted to rechristen a disease decades after it was first named.

Numerous other diseases, including Japanese encephalitis, German measles, Marburg virus and Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome have been named after geographic regions, which could now be considered prejudicial. WHO has not suggested changing any of those names.

Racist? Gay is a race?
Or did some monkeys protest?

touchdown

Reaction score
The WHO can change the name of the [disease] but they cannot change the name of the [virus].

That's under the jurisdiction of a totally different organization, the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses: ICTV.

ICTV has NOT removed the Monkey part, and they probably WILL NOT.

Top Bottom