Reaction score
I agree, but you would think a baseball team might be able to win a scheduling conflict in their own stadium.

I think that's one of the problems actually, that it ISN'T their own stadium. I want to see what the attendance figures are like next season when they do get their own place. Kinda curious.

Cythim

Reaction score
I think that's one of the problems actually, that it ISN'T their own stadium. I want to see what the attendance figures are like next season when they do get their own place. Kinda curious.

Attendance will rise in the short term but I don't think it is sustainable. The Marlins should have moved to a market out west that will actually support a team.

sbk92

Reaction score
Cliff Lee. 3rd straight shutout. 42 innings pitched in June. 1 earned run.

Just dominated the best lineup in baseball tonight.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cliff Lee. 3rd straight shutout. 42 innings pitched in June. 1 earned run.

Just dominated the best lineup in baseball tonight.

He had an awesome month, no doubt.

Got lit up last night though.

sbk92

Reaction score
The Braves are really playing well.

They've quietly matched the star studded Phillies' pitching staff so far.

Cythim

Reaction score
Hopefully the Astros go on one of their signature second half runs to avoid losing 100 games. We only need to finish the season with a 33-41 record to avoid that mark!

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yankees' Curtis Granderson working his way into MVP race

NEW YORK — All-Star Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson took a moment the other day to ponder the meaning of value.

It’s a tricky concept, of course, one that can be defined in so many ways. It’s a word that comes under scrutiny every baseball season, especially as the time nears to decide which players have established themselves as most valuable.

Granderson views the Most Valuable Player as “a mix between who the best player is and obviously who’s helping their team out the most,” a description that he said ruled him out of consideration.

“There’s a lot of other players that are well beyond where I’m at at this point,” Granderson said.

The Blue Jays’ Jose Bautista is one. At the All-Star break, Bautista has distanced himself from the pack. But with his Blue Jays mired in fourth place, Bautista’s march to the MVP award might be interrupted by those who have shined on winning teams. It’s a group that includes Red Sox slugger Adrian Gonzalez and Granderson, whose emergence has helped the Yankees pull into the break just a game behind the Red Sox.

“He’s just done it all for us,” manager Joe Girardi said. “When you look at MVP candidates, I think you have to look at Curtis Granderson.”

In one way, the MVP race as it stands at the break shouldn’t even trigger a debate.

Bautista leads the league in home runs (31), on-base percentage (.468) and slugging (.702), ranks second in hitting (.334) and sits in a tie for fourth in runs batted in (65). When his numbers are taken together, Bautista’s total offensive production outclasses the field by far, an assertion reinforced by advanced metrics.

By one measure, Bautista has outperformed the league average by a stunning 117 percent.

Yet, a familiar question lingers, one that is tied to how one ultimately defines value. How much should a team’s performance factor in the MVP race?

The Jays enter the break at 45-47 — nonfactors despite Bautista’s brilliance — and would need a monumental push to get involved in the division race. Meanwhile, with Gonzalez and Granderson leading the way, the Red Sox and Yankees have helped position their teams for a second-half battle for the division title.

Like Bautista, Gonzalez is one of the players that Granderson said has “done more than I have to this point.” Indeed, Gonzalez has lived up to the hype that came with his trade-deadline move to the Red Sox, and his seven-year, $154 million contract extension.

With Gonzalez hitting in the heart of their order, the Red Sox have overcome a slow start and injuries to hit the break atop the American League East at 55-35, a game ahead of the Yankees at 53-35.

The first baseman Gonzalez leads the American League in hitting (.354) and RBI (77), ranks second to Bautista in slugging (.591) and third in on-base percentage (.414). According to Fangraphs, Gonzalez’s overall production as judged by the statistic wins above replacement is behind only the leader Bautista.

But under the same measure, Granderson is only a half-step behind.

He has been the most valuable Yankees player in the first half, earning himself a starting bid on the American League team for tonight’s All-Star game.

Granderson’s 25 homers are tied with Mark Teixeira’s for the team lead, and second in the AL to Bautista. Granderson lags in average (.269) and on-base percentage (.361) but his slugging (.575) is behind only Bautista and Gonzalez.

Meanwhile, Granderson’s production has come as a center fielder, considered a premium defensive position. Based on wins above replacement, Granderson (4.7) has been just as vital to his team’s success as Gonzalez (4.8).

Much of Granderson’s production is linked to a spike in power that has him on pace to shatter his own single-season record of 30 homers set in 2008, when he made his first All-Star team as a member of the Tigers.

“All of I’ve done is hit them a little bit faster than I have in the past,” he said. “I’m still trying to figure it all out, trying to put all the pieces together.”

Granderson insists he has plenty of areas to improve. He’s bothered by his 91 strikeouts and that teams have started shifted the infield against him, a sign that he’s pulling the ball.

Still, teammate Brett Gardner said Granderson’s name deserves to be in the mix, especially when his offensive contributions are paired with his play in center field. Though defensive metrics are cool on Granderson’s range as a fielder, one scout rated his defensive abilities as “above average.”

“I don’t see why not, with the position he plays and how well he does at it,” Gardner said.

Hitting coach Kevin Long considers Granderson an elite player, one the Yankees couldn’t live without.

“He’s a big part of this team, a huge part of this offense,” Long said. “Without him, I don’t know where we’d be.”

Perhaps, that too is another way to define value.:towel

C

Cr122

Granderson is having a great year for the Yanks.

I was expecting this sooner or later from him.

C

Cr122

I hope you guys take East. I can't stand Boston. Plus, I want to beat you guys in the ALCS again lol

My bad. This is a four game series with Tampa, but we still have won two out of three.

You think you guys are going to make it there again?

Cythim

Reaction score
Astros have won two in a row! We might beat the 100 loss mark!

Sad that I have nothing better to cheer about?

Reaction score
My bad. This is a four game series with Tampa, but we still have won two out of three.

You think you guys are going to make it there again?

We will win the West, no doubt. Despite giving up that 4 run lead last night. I think we will add another arm at the trade deadline as well. Even without one, our staff has been solid this year. We are tied with Philly for the most shutouts, we have 2 10 game winners, a 9 game winner, and 2 8 game winners.

Top Bottom