cowboys2194

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Just read a report that the yanks are having talks with the nationals about adam dunn.

C

Cr122

Yanks beat the Indians 3-2 tonight.

I'm still sweating it that Pettitte is still out.

C

Cr122

Matt Garza pitched the first no hitter in Rays history.

Good for that fag.

sbk92

Reaction score
Astros, Phillies Reach Oswalt Agreement; Approval Needed

By Tim Dierkes [July 29 at 1:08am CST]

The Astros and Phillies have reached an agreement on a Roy Oswalt trade, reports Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston. Berman says the Astros are now waiting for Oswalt's approval, having hammered out the players and money with the Phils. Wednesday morning, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports had reported that the players were "pretty much agreed on." Lefty J.A. Happ has been a rumored part of the deal for a while now.

Oswalt's contract has $5.46MM left from his $15MM salary this year, $16MM in 2011, and a 2012 option for $16MM with a $2MM buyout. It remains to be seen how the Astros and Phillies settled the financials and whether the Phils will pick up Oswalt's option.

sbk92

Reaction score
Bad move by the Phillies.

Happ has out pitched Oswalt since he's been in the bigs. I don't get the attraction to this overrated player. He's even said he'd rather not play in Philly with all the media attention.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Your kidding, right? lol

No. We played ball together for a lot of years and went to school together. He occasionally hangs out with my brothers when he's in town. To be honest, I haven't talked to him since he's been in the majors.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Your kidding, right? lol

No. We played ball together for a lot of years and went to school together. He occasionally hangs out with my brothers when he's in town. To be honest, I haven't talked to him since he's been in the majors.

C

Cr122

lol..no kidding I talk shit about any AL East player so don't take it to heart, It's a Yankee thing.

C

Cr122

Oswalt plans to OK trade to Phillies

Updated: July 29, 2010, 1:04 PM ET
Source: Oswalt plans to OK trade

By: Jayson Stark
ESPN.com
Archive

Roy Oswalt plans to accept his proposed trade to the Philadelphia Phillies, a baseball source who has spoken with Oswalt's camp told ESPN.com Thursday.

Oswalt hasn't officially waived his no-trade clause to OK the deal, the source said. But after considering his options and speaking with friends familiar with the Phillies' situation, the source said the Houston Astros right-hander is prepared to go to Philadelphia.

It was not immediately clear if the Phillies or Astros offered any financial incentives for Oswalt to drop his trade veto rights. The Astros will pay $11 million of the approximately $23 million that the 32-year-old right-hander has guaranteed through 2011, sources said.

In return for Oswalt, the Astros would get back left-handed starter J.A. Happ and two prospects, according to sources.

While the Phillies prospects have not been identified, sources said the Astros have pressed hard for first baseman Jonathan Singleton, considered the team's best minor-league hitting prospect. Singleton is currently at Class A Lakewood in the South Atlantic League, where he was hitting .312 with 18 doubles and 12 home runs as of Thursday.

The agreement on trade terms was first reported by KRIV-TV in Houston.

Jayson Stark is a senior baseball writer for ESPN.com.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't really care, I just wanted everyone to know he's/was a friend of mine. I don't care about him.

C

Cr122

I don't really care, I just wanted everyone to know he's/was a friend of mine. I don't care about him.

lol..hope you don't feel that way about me now, your cyber buddy. lol

C

Cr122

New York Yankees obtain Cleveland's Kerry Wood for bullpen help

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees acquired pitcher Kerry Wood from the Cleveland Indians on Saturday, the third deal in less than 24 hours for the World Series champions as they beefed up for the stretch run.

Wood, a hard-throwing, 33-year-old righty, gives the Yankees another setup option alongside Joba Chamberlain for closer Mariano Rivera.

The Yankees sent Cleveland a player to be named or $500,000, and the Indians gave New York $2,172,131. New York will pay $1.5 million of the $3,672,131 remaining on Wood's $10.5 million salary this year. His contract includes an $11 million team option for 2011.

The amount of cash the Yankees are getting in the Wood deal is tied to his health the rest of the year, a source familiar with the deal told ESPN.com senior writer Jayson Stark.

More On The Yankees

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

If he breaks down, the Yankees are on the hook for just the $1.5 million. The Yankees could assume an extra $500,000 of Wood's contract if he's completely healthy all year, or the Indians could choose an extra player to be named later from a list of prospects.

A day earlier, the Yankees obtained outfielder Austin Kearns from the Indians for a player to be named.

Wood was activated from the disabled list by the Indians on Saturday. He had been sidelined by a blister on his right index finger.

It was his second time on the DL this year. He didn't pitch until May 8 because of a strained muscle in his upper back.

Wood was 1-4 with a a 6.30 ERA and eight saves in 23 relief appearances for Cleveland. New York opened a roster spot by designating right-hander Chan Ho Park for assignment.

Cleveland has until Oct. 15 to decide whether to select a player from a designated list or to take the cash.

C

Cr122

Yankees acquire Kearns from Indians

Updated: July 31, 2010, 12:48 AM ET
Yanks acquire Kearns from Cleveland

By Wallace Matthews
ESPNNewYork
Archive

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Yankees got themselves an insurance policy without having to pay a premium, or in fact, anything at all, when they acquired veteran outfielder Austin Kearns from the Cleveland Indians on Friday night for a player to be named.

Fantasy Spin: Kearns' Value Sapped

Eric Karabell analyzes the playing time repercussions of the Austin Kearns trade for both the Indians and the Yankees. Blog Insider

The move was announced shortly after the Yankees lost 3-2 to the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field, cutting their lead in the AL East to one game. Manager Joe Girardi described the 30-year-old Kearns, a veteran of nine major league seasons, eight of them in the National League, as "another corner outfielder who gives us depth and experience, a right-handed bat with power."

Kearns, who had previously played for the Cincinnati Reds and Washington Nationals, was hitting .268 with eight home runs and 43 RBIs in 83 games with the Indians this season. A career .257 hitter, Kearns has played mostly as a right-fielder and has generally hit in the middle of the batting order, two areas that will be tough for him to crack with any regularity on this team.

"We can use him a lot of different ways because he's a guy who's used to playing every day," said Girardi, who expects to have Kearns available for Saturday night's game against the Rays. According to Girardi, Yankees GM Brian Cashman first mentioned the possibility of acquiring Kearns on Friday afternoon. Cashman did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

"It'll give me a chance to rest some of our left-handed hitting guys," Girardi said. "We're in the midst right now of 37 games in 38 days, so I won't have to run the same guys out there every day. You can keep them healthy and physically strong, because we're going to need them."

Adding Kearns will necessitate the Yankees' making a roster move, and although Girardi said he was undecided who would be sent down in order to make room, the likeliest candidates are Juan Miranda or Colin Curtis, both of whom have been used in the role Girardi envisions for Kearns.

The move came on the heels of sources telling ESPN's Buster Olney that the Yankees have also acquired Lance Berkman from the Houston Astros, a deal that cannot be officially announced until 24 hours have passed from the time Berkman, a 10-and-5 player, agreed to waive his no-trade clause in order to come to New York.
Yankees blog

Yankees Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

According to reports, Berkman agreed at about 1:30 p.m., meaning he, too, might be able to join the Yankees in time for Saturday's 7:10 p.m. game.

That was enough for Mark Teixeira to comment favorably on both deals. "That's great," he said. "They're both great guys, two quality guys. I know both of them real well. They're going to be great for this clubhouse."

Asked how either Kearns or Berkman, both middle of the order hitters, would fit into the packed Yankees lineup, Teixeira said, "I have no idea. We have so many dynamic players on our team. But no one guy has to carry this team and that's the great thing about the Yankees. They're always going to do what it takes to win, and you see it today, getting two players like that. It's great. The city of New York deserves a winner every year and that's what we're trying to give them."

Kearns, who went 2-for-3 for the Indians in Cleveland's 8-1 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays on Friday night before being pulled for a pinch-runner in the seventh inning, said he had no idea he would be headed to the Yankees. "Nobody told me anything until after the game," he said. "When I came out I thought something might be up, then I just thought maybe I was getting a blow or something. Then they took me inside and told me."

The Yankees had gotten a good look at Kearns earlier this week during their four-game set in Cleveland. On Tuesday, Kearns led off the sixth inning with a triple that helped secure the Indians' 4-1 win. "I'm excited about the opportunity," he said. "I always enjoy playing teams like that, teams that are obviously playoff or World Series caliber. I'm sure I'll just kinda be in the mix, maybe in the outfield, but I think when you get the opportunity to go to a team like that you don't worry about those kind of things. You got bigger and better things to think about."

Motorbreath

Practice Squad
Reaction score
A-Rod really sucks since his 599th homer. That's good news but the bad news is the Rangers are down 2-0 now.. :(

Top Bottom