C

Cr122

I'm pretty sure it was 98.

I said the Phillies wouldn't win the division. Even said because of bad luck with injuries and that the Braves would win it. This was during spring training.

As of right now I am balls on accurate.

Oh well, I've been wrong before. Where do you want to claim your prize?

C

Cr122

Updated: September 4, 2010, 9:06 PM ET
Alex Rodriguez, Andy Pettitte face off

NEW YORK -- It was a Yankee Stadium scene fit for October. Andy Pettitte was on the mound. Alex Rodriguez at the plate.

Even Mr. October himself, Reggie Jackson, was involved, serving as the home plate umpire.

In an empty stadium on Saturday morning, the Yankees were finding out if the injured Pettitte and Rodriguez could be counted on this October.

After the three-inning simulated game, the verdict was they are both closer to a return.

Yankees blog

Yankees Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

"I felt good," Rodriguez said. "[Pettitte] looked great. I'm glad I don't have to face him every day."

Rodriguez could be activated Sunday. He has been on the disabled list since Aug. 21 with a strained calf. Yankees manager Joe Girardi said the team will make its decision Sunday morning.

Pettitte may be able to pitch in a major league game by around Sept. 13. Pettitte's been out since July 19 with a groin injury.

The Yankees have not decided what day Pettitte will next pitch, but it won't be a major league start. Pettitte hopes to throw in a minor league game Wednesday. He could then pitch for the Yankees five days later. Pettitte felt better than ever about being ready for October.

"It is a step in the right direction," Pettitte said.

Whatever Pettitte's next step is, he will likely throw 65 pitches and then could return on a 75-80 pitch limit in his major league return, which could be Sept. 13, on the road against the Rays.

Meanwhile, Rodriguez may be ready to come off the DL on Sunday. Girardi said he came through his at-bats against Pettitte fine.

"We'll see how he feels [Sunday] morning and then make our decision," Girardi said.

As for Mr. October, Jackson did not have full umpiring gear on as he stood behind the batting cage, deciphering if Pettitte's pitches were strikes or balls.

Between A-Rod's at-bats, Jackson -- who is a special adviser for the Yankees -- offered Rodriguez tips.

After outfielder Greg Golson took some pitches against Pettitte, Rodriguez stepped in. He looked at several pitches before hitting what would have been a grounder to second. More importantly, Rodriguez ran hard down the line, but not at full speed. He thinks this may be the norm for him the rest of the way.

Rodriguez was unofficially 1-for-4 off Pettitte. The one hit was a single. Jackson punched out A-Rod on a Pettitte fastball.

"It was a Reggie strike zone," Rodriguez said.

Saturday, Rodriguez took the field at 9:15 a.m., taking grounders. Before he faced Pettitte, Rodriguez moved to the batting cage, where he launched a few homers to the empty blue seats in right and left field.

Andrew Marchand covers baseball for ESPNNewYork.com. You can follow him on Twitter.

C

Cr122

I can't believe the catch Granderson just made in centerfield to send the Rays and Yanks to extra innings.

sbk92

Reaction score
Man, I've been really critical of Hamels but he's been awesome the last couple of months. He's got like a 2.00 ERA over his last 11 starts. The team just doesn't score runs for him. He won it 1-0 tonight.

Won 2-1 tonight.

Our bats disappear when he's on the mound.

C

Cr122

I love it, Crawford caught stealing to end the game.

Thanks Tampa Bay were in first again.

Cythim

Reaction score
My Astros have turned on the heat even though they are all but mathematically eleminated from the playoffs. They are 34-22 since the allstar game with a 5-1 records vs the Cards and 4-0 vs the Phillies.

C

Cr122

My Astros have turned on the heat even though they are all but mathematically eleminated from the playoffs. They are 34-22 since the allstar game with a 5-1 records vs the Cards and 4-0 vs the Phillies.

Yeah, it sucks in a situation like that. They start to gel and there's no chance of the playoffs.

All you can do is hope for next year.

Cythim

Reaction score
Yeah, thats the way it seems to go every year for the 'Stros. In 2005 (the year we choked in the World Series) We were 12 games below .500 and 10 games back for the wild card in June.

C

Cr122

Yeah, thats the way it seems to go every year for the 'Stros. In 2005 (the year we choked in the World Series) We were 12 games below .500 and 10 games back for the wild card in June.

Gotta miss the days of the killer Bees.

Cythim

Reaction score
thanks for the invite! Cowboys Zone sucks if only because there are too many people (and each of them knows EVERYTHING about football).

Top Bottom