Reaction score
The website deleted that part from the article (about him missing 14-18 months).

They just say he needs further testing now.

Redskins' RGIII To Have More Tests On Knee
Posted: Jan 07, 2013 2:59 PM EST
Updated: Jan 07, 2013 4:03 PM EST
ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Robert Griffin III will get more tests on his injured right knee after an MRI proved inconclusive because of a previous ACL tear.

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Monday that the rookie quarterback will travel Tuesday to see orthopedist James Andrews for more examinations.

Griffin tore his ACL while playing at Baylor in 2009, and Shanahan said sometimes an old injury can cloud the results of an MRI.

If Griffin has torn the ACL again, he would likely require a rehabilitation period of nine to 12 months, putting his status for next season in jeopardy.

Griffin reinjured his knee twice in Sunday's playoff loss to Seattle.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It almost has to be torn. They better just hope there isn't extensive cartilage damage.

Shanny might want to head to the south America for a few months.

Reaction score
The only thing that keeps me from believing it's some catastrophic injury is, the guy was walking around after the game. Final whistle, he walked to middle of the field to shake hands and all. Would that even have been possible if his knee was seriously mucked up?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
The only thing that keeps me from believing it's some catastrophic injury is, the guy was walking around after the game. Final whistle, he walked to middle of the field to shake hands and all. Would that even have been possible if his knee was seriously mucked up?

Na... RG3 pulled a McNabb. Realizing he fucked up on trying to recover the bad snap, he face plants and grabs at his knee to fake injury.

Reaction score
I did think it was an especially dick move by him just falling to the ground and laying there. Made no effort to even get the football back.

Whattaloser.

Cost his team the game, for sure.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Trying to remember who it was, but thinking it was KiJana Carter for Bengals who ripped up his ACL and walked off. Only to later find out his knee had been devastated.

Reaction score
Trying to remember who it was, but thinking it was KiJana Carter for Bengals who ripped up his ACL and walked off. Only to later find out his knee had been devastated.

Jamal Anderson? (Atlanta falcons) vs us on Monday night football.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I read on a skins message board that they probably numbed the knee really good after the initial injury earlier in the game.

That would explain him being able to walk on it.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

You must have never watched Varsity Blues... should I offer and explanation for that one?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Why is he deemed a running QB from now until the end of his career? Like I said things like reading defenses and pocket presence come with work and experience. What suggests he can't do it?

Because noone has ever done it.

You don't get to the NFL and say "ok now I'm going to stop making one read and running and read defenses from the pocket instead." At that point you're years behind the competition and the learning curve will get you killed.

Last edited:

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I read on a skins message board that they probably numbed the knee really good after the initial injury earlier in the game.

That would explain him being able to walk on it.

But even with it numbed he could still risk more serious damage to the ligaments. You would think they wouldn't want him out there walking around on it. Especially, after knowingly sending Trent Williams out there to face palm random Seahawks.

Reaction score

I seen too many Pro and College players tear their ACL's and walk without a limp and even remain standing on the sideline. He might not have torn his ACL but I'd bet he's gonna need surgery...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Some further speculation now from Werder that its partial terars of ACL and LCL

Reaction score
Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insid er/wp/2013/01/07/robert-griffin-iii-has-partial-te ars-of-acl-and-lcl-mri-suggests/

The MRI exam of Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III’s right knee suggested that Griffin has suffered partial tears of his anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments, according to several people with knowledge of the test results.

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said Griffin is scheduled to be examined Tuesday in Pensacola, Fla., by orthopedic surgeon James Andrews to determine whether the test results show new or previous injuries.

It was not immediately clear whether surgery would be required or how long Griffin would be sidelined if the partial ligament tears are determined to be fresh injuries. Griffin suffered a torn ACL in the same knee in 2009 while he was in college at Baylor, and has been playing in recent weeks with a mild sprain of the LCL.

One person with knowledge of the situation said Griffin might have to undergo exploratory surgery to determine the extent of the damage and whether the injuries are new. Another said Griffin hopes to avoid full-blown reconstructive surgery if the tears are partial, even if they are new injuries.
A third person familiar with the case, asked whether the ligament damage is new or a matter of previous injuries showing up on Griffin’s MRI, said: “That’s what we’re trying to find out.”
Shanahan said at his news conference Monday at Redskins Park that he didn’t know the extent of the damage to Griffin’s knee or how long it will take the quarterback, who just completed his rookie season, to recover. Shanahan said it was unclear whether Griffin will play in the Pro Bowl, to which he was elected, or be ready to participate in the team’s offseason workouts and practices.
Griffin underwent an MRI exam after his knee buckled in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 24-14 playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks at FedEx Field and he left the field for good. Shanahan said the results of that exam are open to interpretation because of Griffin’s previous injuries.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ian RapoportVerified ‏@RapSheet

The #Seahawks have now lodged a complaint to @NFL about the #FedEx field that injured @RGIII and Chris Clemons' ACL

Reaction score
The Seahawk's Clemons walked off the field with a torn ACL (confirmed today).

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian RapoportVerified ‏@RapSheet

The #Seahawks have now lodged a complaint to @NFL about the #FedEx field that injured @RGIII and Chris Clemons' ACL

Yep, good for them.

Of course the league wont do anything, but that field was a joke.

Top Bottom