Reaction score
@CoreyGriffinNBC: It’s no surprise the Bills, Dolphins and Cowboys are meeting with Collins, but him at RT on that Dallas line would just be unfair.

-----

Can anyone confirm? This is the only mention I've seen of us, whereas I've seen plenty of people mention Bills and Dolphins.

Doubt he'd come here though. More $ at LT than RT.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
@CoreyGriffinNBC: It’s no surprise the Bills, Dolphins and Cowboys are meeting with Collins, but him at RT on that Dallas line would just be unfair.

-----

Can anyone confirm? This is the only mention I've seen of us, whereas I've seen plenty of people mention Bills and Dolphins.

Doubt he'd come here though. More $ at LT than RT.

But he would be on a rookie contract so the positional rate wouldn't apply.

God make this happen. Have Free as swing tackle.

That would be a sick OL.

Sadly I just think it's click-bait. Link the Cowboys to anything or anyone controversial, and it's guaranteed to get hits/clicks.

Last edited:

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Move him inside to replace Leary. Early on at LSU I believe he played OG 1-2 yrs before switching to tackle.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
My dear God, he's the best OT in this past draft. If he is cleared and we can sign that kid... It would be 4 out of 5 positions at first round draft grade and if I'm not mistaken Leary "was" a 1st round draft grade, but went down like he did due to knee concerns. It would be an entire O line of first rounders basically. Chills man, chills.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You sign him to the max rookie free agent contract you are allowed to give and then if he is found to have involvement at all with the woman's death, you cut him. Not that big of a gamble, but if he's cleared you basically stole a 1st round pick.

Reaction score
Seems like a player of his caliber would welcome the chance to join an OL that's full of pro-bowlers.

Reaction score
But he would be on a rookie contract so the positional rate wouldn't apply.
Collins feels screwed over by this whole process. There's no way he's thinking only about where he can get his best UDFA deal. He's got to be thinking about the place where he can maximize his second contract. That would be as a LT... so I'm sure he's going to seriously consider where he can play LT from early on.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Collins feels screwed over by this whole process. There's no way he's thinking only about where he can get his best UDFA deal. He's got to be thinking about the place where he can maximize his second contract. That would be as a LT... so I'm sure he's going to seriously consider where he can play LT from early on.

Yep, last night ESPN radio was saying he was looking at Buffalo because they'd pay him well and, more importantly, he thought he'd have a great chance to start there and build a good resume for his second contract.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Rex Ryan supposedly already had dinner with Collins.

Don't get your hopes up, universors.

Reaction score
La'el Collins meets with Rex Ryan, Dolphins players

By Around The NFL staff NFL.com
Published: May 5, 2015 at 01:50 p.m.
Updated: May 5, 2015 at 02:01 p.m.

After going undrafted this past weekend, LSU offensive tackle La'el Collins had an impromptu dinner meeting with Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan on Monday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported according to a source informed of the situation. The Advocate first reported the news.

The Cowboys and Dolphins are also among the teams interested in Collins, per Rapoport.

Rapoport reported Tuesday that Collins now is meeting with several Dolphins players and former LSU teammates, per a source informed of the meeting. Rapoport described the meeting as a recruiting session, adding that no Dolphins employees made the trip to Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Collins is currently working to clear his name in a police investigation in Louisiana. Collins met with Baton Rouge police Monday as part of the investigation into the murder of Brittany Mills. Collins is not a suspect in the case. Mills, 29, was pregnant at the time of her death and had a previous relationship with Collins.

"It went fine; we answered all their questions," Collins' lawyer, Jim Boren, said via The Times-Picayune. "La'el is not going to make any comments. I'm not going to have any comments. The investigation is going to continue. La'el is now going to start making an effort to start getting his football career back on track."

If Collins' name is cleared, he will be able to sign a three-year contract as an undrafted free agent.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My dear God, he's the best OT in this past draft. If he is cleared and we can sign that kid... It would be 4 out of 5 positions at first round draft grade and if I'm not mistaken Leary "was" a 1st round draft grade, but went down like he did due to knee concerns. It would be an entire O line of first rounders basically. Chills man, chills.

You are mistaken. Leary had a 3rd round grade.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Move him inside to replace Leary. Early on at LSU I believe he played OG 1-2 yrs before switching to tackle.

No. Keep him at RT. Replace Leary with Chaz Green. Free and Gibson would be our swing OTs.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Wonder if he would just try to sign a one year deal? Is that allowed?

I think the team that signs him will have his rights for four years. Three-year deals then restricted for the fourth. He could get a huge tender the 4th year if he played up to the 1st round billing. He could also get an extension after 2 years. Overall, if the team that signs him, wants him for four years, that's where he'll be.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There were apparently quite a few of these reviews on Collins saying he could be destined for a move to G and that he could be a probowl type talent there.

Pretty dominant run blocker.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Why not offer a 4 year deal with a promise of being "cut" after 2? Seems he would like that.

Reaction score
Jordan Raanan of NJ.com reports that the Giants are “in the mix” for the prospective first-round pick who was passed over by all 32 teams many times because teams were uncomfortable drafting him while police in Baton Rouge wanted to speak to him as part of a double murder investigation. Collins had that conversation with police on Monday and is not a suspect in the case.

“We thought about La’El the whole draft because he was sitting up there,” vice president of player evaluation Marc Ross said. “But we were gonna pass on that.”

Top Bottom