Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Exactly.

People are acting like Jerry is locked in a room, reviewing film, and making decisions all on his own, regardless of what people say.

It's ridiculous, and tiresome.

It takes at least a good year to scout players. We do it for a few months, but it takes a lot of time and effort to actually do it. Time and effort that Jerry just can't provide because he's busy promoting the Cowboys, his stadium and working with the NFL about the potential lockout, among other NFL related processes that he's involved in.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
It's hard for me to get worked up anymore. I'm not in the fold. Yeah, if Jerry is evaluating and scouting players and it's his list against everyones then yeah, that's a problem. If Garrett and Ryan are sitting there saying x player is who they want and Jerry disagrees and goes player y, that's a problem IMO.

I really don't give a shit anymore. I'll watch the games because I love the team. I really look forward to the day that the owners last name is not Jones. I'm tired of "the unique way we're structured". It hasn't worked in 15 plus years, but hey, let's not focus on that.

Whatever. Just draft the players and play the games. I'm hooked.

Reaction score
It takes at least a good year to scout players. We do it for a few months, but it takes a lot of time and effort to actually do it, time and effort that Jerry just can't provide because he's busy promoting the Cowboys, his stadium and working with the NFL about the potential lockout, among other NFL related processes that he's involved in.

You realize we have a scouting department, right?

sbk92

Reaction score
It's hard for me to get worked up anymore. I'm not in the fold. Yeah, if Jerry is evaluating and scouting players and it's his list against everyones then yeah, that's a problem. If Garrett and Ryan are sitting there saying x player is who they want and Jerry disagrees and goes player y, that's a problem IMO.

I really don't give a shit anymore. I'll watch the games because I love the team. I really look forward to the day that the owners last name is not Jones. I'm tired of "the unique way we're structured". It hasn't worked in 15 plus years, but hey, let's not focus on that.

Whatever. Just draft the players and play the games. I'm hooked.

It's the unique way we're structured.

And how invested he is.

Pay no attention that all NFL owners are heavily invested and almost all have the good sense to hire quality personnel men to run their teams.

He's invested and we're unique. And he takes that head on. He understands the criticism. He remembers one time when he was broke and went all in. And it paid off. And you should care about that. He made a deal with the devil and wants to do it again. Damn, he wants to win.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You realize we have a scouting department, right?

I'm just relating how moronic it is to blame Jerry for poor drafts, or saying he's too involved in the draft process when all he basically is doing when it comes to the draft, is reading dossiers on players that the scouting department and coaches have already provided for him.

He doesn't have the time to scout players for his team, even if he wanted to. That's all I was getting at.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He shouldn't be included at all in the process. Zero input. Not only due to his no background in personnel but the fact that he's proven since he's pretended to be a GM of how awful he is at it.

He's mentioned many times that he routinely watches film. He doesn't know what he's looking at, but he watches it. You'll see him at the combine with a stopwatch around his neck. It's a sickness.

He envisions himself a real football guy. That's what this whole thing is about.

Yes, Jerry is just a glorified fan of the Cowboys and the draft, but the fact remains that he's not able to actually "scout" players.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm just relating how moronic it is to blame Jerry for poor drafts, or saying he's too involved in the draft process when all he basically is doing when it comes to the draft, is reading dossiers on players that the scouting department and coaches have already provided for him.

He doesn't have the time to scout players for his team, even if he wanted to. That's all I was getting at.

Actually you're just proving your own ignorance of the process.

All those scouts do is breakdown the players and create their own rankings. It's this time of year that Jerry and the coaches get involved. If you think they merely take those rankings and stack their board without any of their own input, you're kidding yourself.

The fact that Jerry isn't making scouting trips in the fall has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yes, Jerry is just a glorified fan of the Cowboys and the draft, but the fact remains that he's not able to actually "scout" players.

Sure he is. He's doing it right now. He's talked about his own scouting many times.

He wouldn't make the trip to Mobile if he wasn't scouting. Nobody would.

Reaction score

Okay.

Well, I agree.

And I'm not a defender of Jerry. I'm off that bandwagon. I'm also looking forward to the day he hands the reigns over to Stephen, as I believe Stephen will be far less hands on.

But with that said, I think it's beyond stupid the notion that Jerry is controlling our draft and making decisions.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Actually you're just proving your own ignorance of the process.

All those scouts do is breakdown the players and create their own rankings. It's this time of year that Jerry and the coaches get involved. If you think they merely take those rankings and stack their board without any of their own input, you're kidding yourself.

The fact that Jerry isn't making scouting trips in the fall has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion.

You're conveniently ignoring the fact that scouting for the draft is a year long process. It doesn't start once the season ends for actual scouts.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like how you ripped me off. Next time cite your sources or I will sue the pants off of you for internet plagiarism.

My apologies.

To me it comes down to 3 groups.

Those who love Jerry and defend everything he does.

Those who hate Jerry and blast everything he does, refusing to give him credit for anything.

Then a small percentage who actually call it like they see it.

Jerry's insistance on being a NFL GM is an issue to me. He is unqualified and has shown to put his ego above all else far too many times. Of course we have a Scouting Department and I actually believe Jerry listens to their input, as well as the coaching staff. Unfortunately, Jerry has said many times the final decision on every issue comes down to him. I don't have the quote but it was something like from who we sign to what socks they wear, I have the final say on. So when it comes down to it, I fear and know that no matter what the scouts believe, no matter what the coach wants, Jerry will do what he feels is best.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry Jones' draftboard, per the "educated".

the-genuine-bristle-dartboard-with-electronic-scoring.png

He takes the scouts info, skims it, throws it in the trash, tosses some darts and then bangs blondes in Vegas and calls it a day. AND IF YOU ARE OK WITH 15 YEARS OF BLONDE-HOOKER-DARTBOARD DRAFTING THEN YOU ARE A TERRIBLE FAN AND SHOULD THINK ABOUT RAGING WITH ME.

sbk92

Reaction score
You're conveniently ignoring the fact that scouting for the draft is a year long process.

That's what he pays his scouts for. To do the grunt work year round.

If he merely took their rankings and stuck to them, you'd have a point. But that isn't the way it works. Or he'd just have his scouts in Mobile right now.

All the scouts do throughout the year is give the front office a foundation to work with in January.

This is true of all teams.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That's what he pays his scouts for. To do the grunt work year round.

If he merely took their rankings and stuck to them, you'd have a point. But that isn't the way it works. Or he'd just have his scouts in Mobile right now.

All the scouts do throughout the year is give the front office a foundation to work with in January.

This is true of all teams.

There are certain players that they look for and evaluate during the Senior Bowl week and Combine though.

Top Bottom