Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yea they could always be trying to bait either the Chargers or another team in jumping up there and taking Ramsey so another player falls to them
This bunch? Since Jimmy left, when have they EVER actually played any chess or poker for that matter, regarding the draft?

They're not capable of it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yea I think Ramsey is definitely on top of their board. If he's gone though I think Jerry gets his player.

Reaction score
I just watched the press conference... I'm 90% sure they're taking Ramsey. Jerry even made a point to go back and say something about him.

Which is kinda confusing considering why in the hell would they be this obvious about their love for him but they must know who the Chargers are gonna take.

Yea they could always be trying to bait either the Chargers or another team in jumping up there and taking Ramsey so another player falls to them but from the way Jerry and Co were talking... It was almost like they were justifying the pick already and not afraid to show it.

Obviously I could be way wrong here but its definitely the vibe I got....

I could see how Jerry and son would be bracing themselves against criticism. Passing on the elite RB isn't a great PR/marketing move ... many fans will be disappointed.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just watched the press conference... I'm 90% sure they're taking Ramsey. Jerry even made a point to go back and say something about him.

Which is kinda confusing considering why in the hell would they be this obvious about their love for him but they must know who the Chargers are gonna take.

Yea they could always be trying to bait either the Chargers or another team in jumping up there and taking Ramsey so another player falls to them but from the way Jerry and Co were talking... It was almost like they were justifying the pick already and not afraid to show it.

Obviously I could be way wrong here but its definitely the vibe I got....
Reading around the boards, a lot of people got that same impression.

You might be right. Maybe they know who SD will take. Actually, that wouldn't surprise me at all. Wouldn't doubt a bit that they know from the grapevine or maybe even direct communication that SD will take Tunsil, leaving them their choice of anyone. And if they've already made up their mind, there's no point in hiding things or playing games.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
do not believe anything anyone says the last few weeks before the draft. Virtually every WORD is calculated for some purpose.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
do not believe anything anyone says the last few weeks before the draft. Virtually every WORD is calculated for some purpose.

which is why I'm not buying the smoke and mirrors about Elliott

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
which is why I'm not buying the smoke and mirrors about Elliott

Considering they have been saying how much they like Ramsey the same could be said about smoke and mirrors for him.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Elliot is not considered another AP and to me that would be about the only way the boys MIGHT pull the trigger.

How would you feel about adding a rookie Edgerrin James to this team? Elliott may not be Adrian Peterson (not many are, including several HOF's) but he has a very similar skill set to James. He might actually be a better runner though.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
How would you feel about adding a rookie Edgerrin James to this team? Elliott may not be Adrian Peterson (not many are, including several HOF's) but he has a very similar skill set to James. He might actually be a better runner though.

never thought that James was all that and no I would not waste such a high pick on one like him

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nothing really new, but Brugler says Ramsey too.

2016 NFL Draft: Signs point to Jalen Ramsey for the Cowboys

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

April 26, 2016 7:27 pm ET

“Great football player.”

“Leaps off the tape.”

“Impact player at the highest level.”

These aren't quotes from a random scouting report -- these are quotes directly from Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett on Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey.

Normally, pre-draft press conferences by head coaches and general managers are filled with generic coach speak and broad generalities. But in the case of the Cowboys and Ramsey, the affection is real, and he is the likely selection at No. 4 for Dallas if he's still on the board.

“He's been a guy that has played both safety and corner and seems to me he plays them equally well,” Garrett said about Ramsey. “He's an impact guy and covers man-to-man, he covers zone. He can rush. He is just one of those guys who jumps off the tape at you and positively impacts what they're trying to get accomplished on defense.”

The reason why all signs point to Jalen Ramsey for the Cowboys is much more than a few quotes. Members of Dallas' coaching staff and front office visited and worked out Ramsey, both at Valley Ranch and during a private workout in Tallahassee. The team came away “extremely impressed” on both occasions, according to a source.

The Cowboys view Ramsey as a player who can stay outside at corner, but he also offers position flexibility to play safety and fill different roles whether in nickel or dime coverage. With Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr both free agents after the 2016 season, Ramsey will also fill a need for Dallas at a premium position in the near future.

The Cowboys are in a unique position at the fourth-overall selection because they only need two names on their first round draft board, assuming they stay put at that pick. After quarterbacks go first and second to the Rams and Eagles, the Chargers are the first wild card at No. 3 overall, with DeForest Buckner, Laremy Tunsil and Ramsey as the three main candidates at that pick.

So if Dallas only needs a two-man first round board, who is the other name besides Ramsey? Joey Bosa? Buckner? No -- it's Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott.

If Ramsey is drafted No. 3 or if certain voices in the Cowboys war room make a push, pencil in Elliott as the Dallas selection at No. 4 overall. Elliott not only upgrades the run game, but he helps Tony Romo and the passing game and also helps the defense. It isn't an exaggeration to think Elliott could rush for 1,500 rushing yards as a rookie behind that dominant Cowboys' offensive line.

All signs point to Ramsey in Dallas, but Elliott isn't out of the conversation.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Elliot is not considered another AP and to me that would be about the only way the boys MIGHT pull the trigger.

LOL

Scout: Ezekiel Elliott could be the next Adrian Peterson

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: April 26, 2016 at 07:05 p.m.
Updated: April 26, 2016 at 08:37 p.m.

If NFL clubs could know Ezekiel Elliott would average roughly 1,300 yards per season over his first nine years as a pro, as Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson has, drafting him high in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft would be easy.

Of course, it's not that easy, and there are no crystal balls where NFL careers are concerned; especially at the running back position. Nonetheless, one NFL scout sees the former Ohio State star's pro career taking on a Peterson-like shape.

"He is the only one with all the traits. He's got a chance to be the best player in the draft. He, (Joey) Bosa, (Laremy) Tunsil. He can catch it, he can pass protect, he's got NFL size and he can run," the scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "If he stays healthy he's going to be a (Adrian) Peterson-type back."

This particular scout isn't the first from the NFL to draw the same comparison. An AFC running backs coach told College Football 24/7's Sources Tell Us much the same thing last month, and noted a similar reason: the well-rounded completeness of Elliott's game.

Peterson was chosen No. 7 overall by the Vikings in 2007, and was a star right from the start. Elliott has a chance to go that high, or even higher, on Thursday night when the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft commences (watch on NFL Network). The Dallas Cowboys hold the No. 4 overall pick of the draft, reportedly are highly impressed with Elliott as a prospect, and are considered the earliest point in the first round at which he could possibly be taken. Quarterbacks Jared Goff and Carson Wentz are expected to go in the first two picks, and the San Diego Chargers aren't at all likely to take a running back in the first round for the second year in a row. Elliott sees his worst-case draft scenario as a fall to the Miami Dolphins at No. 13.

Suffice it to say, if his career even approaches that of Peterson, he'll be looked upon in the coming years as a strong draft value no matter where he lands.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
LOL

Scout: Ezekiel Elliott could be the next Adrian Peterson

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: April 26, 2016 at 07:05 p.m.
Updated: April 26, 2016 at 08:37 p.m.

If NFL clubs could know Ezekiel Elliott would average roughly 1,300 yards per season over his first nine years as a pro, as Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson has, drafting him high in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft would be easy.

Of course, it's not that easy, and there are no crystal balls where NFL careers are concerned; especially at the running back position. Nonetheless, one NFL scout sees the former Ohio State star's pro career taking on a Peterson-like shape.

"He is the only one with all the traits. He's got a chance to be the best player in the draft. He, (Joey) Bosa, (Laremy) Tunsil. He can catch it, he can pass protect, he's got NFL size and he can run," the scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "If he stays healthy he's going to be a (Adrian) Peterson-type back."

This particular scout isn't the first from the NFL to draw the same comparison. An AFC running backs coach told College Football 24/7's Sources Tell Us much the same thing last month, and noted a similar reason: the well-rounded completeness of Elliott's game.

Peterson was chosen No. 7 overall by the Vikings in 2007, and was a star right from the start. Elliott has a chance to go that high, or even higher, on Thursday night when the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft commences (watch on NFL Network). The Dallas Cowboys hold the No. 4 overall pick of the draft, reportedly are highly impressed with Elliott as a prospect, and are considered the earliest point in the first round at which he could possibly be taken. Quarterbacks Jared Goff and Carson Wentz are expected to go in the first two picks, and the San Diego Chargers aren't at all likely to take a running back in the first round for the second year in a row. Elliott sees his worst-case draft scenario as a fall to the Miami Dolphins at No. 13.

Suffice it to say, if his career even approaches that of Peterson, he'll be looked upon in the coming years as a strong draft value no matter where he lands.

well some scouts drooled all over Jumungous Russell and Ryan Leaf too.
Trent Richardson.

I could go on but why bother?

Reaction score
There's a lot to the Elloitt at 4 story. GloryDays wants him bad and has been texting me a lot, so I bugged my friend who used to work for the Cowboys and still works in Dallas. According to him, it's basically down to Ramsey or Bosa, trade down if someone wants to jump up for Tunsil, with a strong push by many for Elliott at 4. Basically, exactly what Rynie said.

Please let SD take Ramsey and SF jump up for Tunsil. Then Zeke at 7.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The talk I've heard on Ramsey is that he's a great safety but an average corner. We already have Byron Jones who is supposed to be only play safety this season which would leave Ramsey playing corner which is where he is just average

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The talk I've heard on Ramsey is that he's a great safety but an average corner. We already have Byron Jones who is a true safety and is supposed to be only play safety this season which would leave Ramsey playing corner which is where he is just average

Did anyone else hear that or able to confirm this?

Depending on what you read, you can find comments that he's a great prospect at both, although it seems many seem to think he's a better safety candidate than CB long term.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike Fisher was on the radio, said Ramsey is the pick if available.

We should be able to go ahead and cement in Elliott or Bosa now for us at 4. Fisher is about as reliable as a rain dance.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
well some scouts drooled all over Jumungous Russell and Ryan Leaf too.
Trent Richardson.

I could go on but why bother?

Its hit and miss. There are no "sure things"

That said, with his talent, work ethic and results on the field running behind this OL, he's about as close to a "sure thing" as there is for us.
If he doesn't get hurt, he could be truly great here.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just watched Ramsey's highlights and I noticed a couple things. He can hit/tackle well. I just hope that translates over to the next level when he's facing larger and stronger opponents. Jones looked like he could tackle on his film too but it didn't seem to translate as well in the NFL and seems to be making few single hit stops or struggles bringing down someone alone. Whereas in college he didn't seem to have that trouble.

I also noticed that there were a good portion of plays where he jumped the route and had both hands on the ball for what seemed like should be an easy INT but he dropped the ball often. Don't get me wrong, he made the play but he "should" have had the INT as opposed to just the deflection

If we take him I would like to see him play for the INT and not just to break up the play

We already have a secondary that can't come up with an INT to save their lives. We don't need to spend the fourth overall pick just to add another one

Sent from my two thumbs using Tapatalk

Top Bottom