Reaction score
Baltimore would have been a good job. Impossible to know what kind of success Garrett might have had there, of course.

In some ways, being overpaid by Jerry and having Jerry serve as a shield of sorts isn't the worst situation.

By shield I mean that because Jerry rightly gets much of the blame for franchise failures/mediocrity, Garrett is generally seen as less culpable.

If Garrett were coaching in Baltimore, failures in Baltimore wouldn't be attributed to the Ravens front office. Failures would be more directly attributed to Garrett.

IMO, if Garrett isn't a very good coach, he's likely better off in Dallas. If Garrett is a very good coach, he'd be better off in Baltimore.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Given the handful of absolutely shitty coaches in the NFL, Garrett will surely get another chance elsewhere at some point down the road. Hell, Chan Gailey even got a chance after a few very meh year at GA Tech, and we all know he's a horrible coach at this point. Teams like Buffalo will probably never attract a legit coaching candidate.

While Ginger is trying to salvage the hopeless situation in Dallas, I bet he regrets not taking that Baltimore job. A sane owner and a sane GM are priceless in the league. We've all learned that the hard way over these last 20 years. He surely would have failed in Baltimore bc he sucks as a coach, but he thinks so highly of himself that I'm sure he does regret it. Especially as Uncle JJ neuters him over and over again.
No question.

Guys like Mike Mularkey get multiple chances.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Like UVA said, he might well get another chance. I'm sure that's a big reason why he's such a politician and gushes about practically every coach he's ever had or worked for.

But like Zero said, I have no doubt that Jerry's presence does serve as a nice shield. Everyone in the DFW media loves Garrett and is rooting for him, which wouldn't be the case elsewhere. That's why he gets much less heat for in-game gaffes like in Phoenix or Baltimore than he would literally anywhere else... Can you imagine if he did that in Philly or New York? The locals put most of the focus on the team underachieving lately on Jerry, not Jason.

Reaction score
No question.

Guys like Mike Mularkey get multiple chances.

Malarkey has a resume full of outwitting other coaches, outscheming defenses, changing the identities of the offense, and staying unpredictable. That is why he gets multiple chances.

Detonation of contrast grenade in 3..2..1...

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Malarkey has a resume full of outwitting other coaches, outscheming defenses, changing the identities of the offense, and staying unpredictable. That is why he gets multiple chances.

Detonation of contrast grenade in 3..2..1...

Too bad Garrett doesn't do that....

Top Bottom