Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm not sure it was asked with baiting intentions. He has coached in a while.

He was asked because he's an analyst and has firsthand experience as a coach. Michael same had been a media got topic since before the draft. There are only so many ex-coaches who are in a position to commentate right now. That's currently his job.

I do agree with you that he could have just said he would take any player who represents an upgrade.
There's really no reason to be asking about a late 7th round pick other than the special circumstance of the player, as bbgun was saying. But Dungy should have known that and simply not taken the bait.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I mean, it's not a stretch to believe that the hip sports writer asked the known evangelical coach the question about whether he would draft a openly gay player, as bait. Hoping to get a story, some controversy.

Stupidly, the coach gave him just that.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
There's really no reason to be asking about a late 7th round pick other than the special circumstance of the player, as bbgun was saying. But Dungy should have known that and simply not taken the bait.

I mean, it's not a stretch to believe that the hip sports writer asked the known evangelical coach the question about whether he would draft a openly gay player, as bait. Hoping to get a story, some controversy.

Stupidly, the coach gave him just that.

It is possible.

I just don't think Tony was asked specifically because the author wanted to bait him. Michael Sam has was all over the news prior to, during, and after the draft. The topic of a gay guy being a distraction predates the combine. That was the center of most of the discussion about the guy.

I dunno. It is possible and perhaps he did ask with his religion in mind but I don't think he was trying to get something that he could use to paint Dungy in a bad light. By all accounts he's a very respected person for the things he's done on and off the field. When I think of baiting, I typically think of devious intent with a specific objective of pissing on someone for it. I dunno why the author would want to do that to Dungy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It is possible.

I just don't think Tony was asked specifically because the author wanted to bait him. Michael Sam has was all over the news prior to, during, and after the draft. The topic of a gay guy being a distraction predates the combine. That was the center of most of the discussion about the guy.

I dunno. It is possible and perhaps he did ask with his religion in mind but I don't think he was trying to get something that he could use to paint Dungy in a bad light. By all accounts he's a very respected person for the things he's done on and off the field. When I think of baiting, I typically think of devious intent with a specific objective of pissing on someone for it. I dunno why the author would want to do that to Dungy.
Well, we didn't see anyone ask Jon Gruden, or some of the other former coach turned commentators if they would have drafted Sam.

Intent might not have been malicious, just somewhat politically driven and with the benefit of having a "viral" story if the answer wasn't just oh so perfect.

And as you're pointing out, it wasn't. Calling it BS and a cover for his real reasons isn't a unreasonable conclusion either.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
John Gruden was covering the draft. His opinion is likely on record do asking may be necessary.

Top Bottom