Reaction score
Gavin Escobar sits and waits his turn
Posted Wednesday, Oct. 08, 2014

By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

IRVING — Jason Garrett traded high-fives in the Cowboys’ war room in 2013 after they drafted tight end Gavin Escobar in the second round. Escobar, though, hasn’t gotten on the field enough to have the Cowboys’ high-fiving about him anymore.

He played only four snaps in the Cowboys’ 20-17 victory over the Texans, the second-fewest of his 21-game career. For the season, Escobar has played only 62 snaps, making three catches for 18 yards.

“I guess it’s tough to be patient,” Escobar said. “You’ve got to take advantage of your opportunities when your name is called, and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

The Cowboys have had trouble finding Escobar a role, because they have Pro Bowler Jason Witten as their starter and because James Hanna is a better blocker. Hanna played 20 of 76 snaps against the Texans as the Cowboys had 33 running plays.

“We have a lot of plays and packages for him to get out there,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “Sometimes you get a chance to call those things. Other times, you are doing different things to try to win the games. So he’s ready. He is getting better. He is healthier than he has been. He did a good job fighting through his injury.  Hopefully he will get some chances as we go here.”

The Cowboys still believe in Escobar despite his limited role so far. He played only 206 snaps on offense last season, with Hanna getting 315. Hanna has 92 snaps this season, 30 more than Escobar.

“There are some things we think he does better than James Hanna,” Garrett said. “There are some things James Hanna does better he does. We try to give those guys opportunities to do what they do best when they are in those two tight end package. We have done some three tight end stuff up to this point. He is a good player, and he is getting better, and he is working hard at it. He will get opportunities as we go forward.”

Read more here: Gavin Escobar sits and waits his turn | Dallas-Fort Worth Sports News - Sports News on the Da...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Its too bad, but the only way we really ever find out if he's worth the pick we used on him is if Witten gets hurt or retires pretty soon.

I really think he will end up being a good player, but it almost assuredly wont be here. And that means it was a wasted pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Work to improve your blocking, s0n.

Eh, they knew he wasn't a good blocker when they drafted him. Everybody knew his forte was catching the football, not blocking.

They drafted him to be a receiving threat in the offense, and he hardly gets any reps. It was a stupid organizational decision unless at the time, they truly believed Jason Witten's future was in doubt (and he was coming off a serious injury).

That said, I clearly recall Jones saying "we gotta use this guy if we draft him here" and Garrett and staff agreed.

So ultimately he may be a good player, but unless he gets a chance as the #1 guy here, its going to be someplace else.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Eh, they knew he wasn't a good blocker when they drafted him.
I quoted him talking about how tough it was to be patient to get playing time. Pointed out it indeed does not require patience, it requires honing his craft by learning how to be a better blocker. A more versatile and well rounded player. Someone indispensable.

Blocking can be learned, it's not something anyone is born with or without.

Learn to fucking block if you want more snaps. You're 6 foot 6 and frikkin 260. You can learn how to block.
unless he gets a chance as the #1 guy here
If he can't block how does he get that chance? It'll be Hanna, not him, if Witten retires or goes down. He would be much more attractive on the market to other teams too, if he learns how to block.

Mike Irvin learned how to block, Pablo can too.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Its too bad, but the only way we really ever find out if he's worth the pick we used on him is if Witten gets hurt or retires pretty soon.

I really think he will end up being a good player, but it almost assuredly wont be here. And that means it was a wasted pick.

Wasted pick is right. Should've never used a 2nd on a backup receiving TE unless we were gonna use him.

I'd love to see us use him like the patriots used Hernandez with Gronk. Unfortunately, that's too much to ask of this coaching staff.

Top Bottom