jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
NFL owners favor Republicans in campaign cash

By Eric Johnson

CHICAGO | Fri Oct 7, 2011 8:48pm EDT

(Reuters) - National Football League teams have donated at least $1.4 million to politicians, parties, and committees since 2009, with about two-thirds of the cash going to Republicans, a study released on Friday showed.

The bulk of the top NFL-affiliated political cash comes from team owners, according to analysis by the Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan research group.

The league's newest team, the Houston Texans, leads the gridiron-giving pack, doling $293,100 to mainly Republican candidates and committees.

The team's contributions were buoyed by owner and founder, Robert McNair, a Texas energy and real estate magnate who has donated $215,200 to political causes since 2009. His net worth is estimated at $1.4 billion.

Among other donations in 2011, McNair has given $2,500 to rising Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain and over $60,000 to committees backing congressional Republicans, according to Federal Election Commission filings.

Reasons for political contributions vary, according to Michael Beckel of the CRP, ranging from seeking tax breaks or incentives to keep their team in a particular location, to labor relations issues.

"The giving often matches the political landscape of the team's city," said Beckel. "By in large, this is a GOP (Republican)-leaning group of people driven by geography and business interests."

Players and spouses are also included in the totals but they give in much smaller amounts.

The San Diego Chargers came in second, with its players and executives giving $171,500 mainly to Republicans and their committees since 2009. Their contributions were driven principally by the Spanos family, which includes the team's owner, Alex G. Spanos.

The New York Jets ranked third, giving $147,850 in campaign cash. Most of it came from Jets owner Woody Johnson, who gave $130,550 mainly to Republicans since 2009, the second most of anyone associated with the NFL.

Johnson has also given to Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

Overall, teams mostly favoring Republicans donated at least 70 percent of their contributions to the party. They include the Texans, the Jets, the Chargers, Arizona Cardinals, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Carolina Panthers, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins, Detroit Lions and the Baltimore Ravens.

Teams that mostly tilted to the Democrats pushed at least 70 percent of their contributions to left-leaning politicians and groups. They include the Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, New England Patriots, and New Orleans Saints.

Only Robert Kraft, the owner of the Patriots, has heavily favored Democrats and given enough to make the list of top 10 contributors. Of the $33,600 he has contributed since 2009, only $4,800 went to Republicans.

The Browns gave the least, at $750. Of that, about two thirds went to Republicans.

"For the most part, the NFL players are not opening their wallets despite often very sizable salaries," Beckel said.

Notable exceptions include Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who donated $5,000 to Republican Senator Bob Corker, and Julius Peppers, a defensive end for the Chicago Bears, who donated $2,400 to New York Democrat Kevin Powell.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You are easy republicans good, democrats bad. That is how you think, and people like you are destroying our country.

Actually it isnt, but feel free to keep trying.

There's plenty of republicans I dislike

Reaction score
I hate the NBA because I sucked at basketball as a kid. I could never dribble with my left hand.

Also... the Suns losing to the Bulls in.... 1994? really pissed me off as well.

I really wanted Barkley, Dumas, and KJ to get a ring.

Cythim

Reaction score
Actually it isnt, but feel free to keep trying.

There's plenty of republicans I dislike

Still can't answer the question straight? What manor was this fundraiser done in that makes it so distasteful to you?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I assume dbair hates Santorum due to his comments on the separation of church and state that would make our founding fathers jump up and down so violently they'd knock a fern on their head.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Still can't answer the question straight? What manor was this fundraiser done in that makes it so distasteful to you?

Because it was personally attended by the league's commissioner, along with several owners, front office people and present/past NBA stars, it gives the strong appearance that the league itself is endorsing a candidate.

I dont know why that point was so hard for some of you to grasp. Its wrong, and shouldnt have been done.

Cythim

Reaction score
Because it was personally attended by the league's commissioner, along with several owners, front office people and present/past NBA stars, it gives the strong appearance that the league itself is endorsing a candidate.

I dont know why that point was so hard for some of you to grasp. Its wrong, and shouldnt have been done.

It is wrong for people to support a candidate by attending a dinner fundraiser? Rich people go to these events all the time, including league commissioners, owners, front office people, and present/past stars of other leagues. This one happened to be NBA exclusive because a player wanted to host the event at his home, which was near the All-Star game, which was the one time all of these people could get together. I don't recall seeing news from the NBA or Mavs talking about the event because those two organizations had nothing to do with it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It is wrong for people to support a candidate by attending a dinner fundraiser? Rich people go to these events all the time, including league commissioners, owners, front office people, and present/past stars of other leagues. This one happened to be NBA exclusive because a player wanted to host the event at his home, which was near the All-Star game, which was the one time all of these people could get together. I don't recall seeing news from the NBA or Mavs talking about the event because those two organizations had nothing to do with it.

ok spin doctor

lons

UDFA
Reaction score

No, it was wrong for the league to endorse a candidate which it did when it had this dinner. Whether you see that or not isn't the fault of anyone, but yourself. In one breath Obama scolds the Supreme Court for allowing Corporations which the NBA are, to do this sort of thing then uses it to it's fullest benefit, not a year later. It's kinda like when he was against raising the debt limit before he was before it.

He talks out the side of his mouth and has no real back bone.

Reaction score
No, it was wrong for the league to endorse a candidate which it did when it had this dinner. Whether you see that or not isn't the fault of anyone, but yourself. In one breath Obama scolds the Supreme Court for allowing Corporations which the NBA are, to do this sort of thing then uses it to it's fullest benefit, not a year later. It's kinda like when he was against raising the debt limit before he was before it.

lol

Cythim

Reaction score

The league did not endorse a candidate, individuals did. The NBA office did not hand a check over, individuals who work for the NBA did. Even if it was the NBA, Obama has to use every trick his opponents will use to raise money if he wants to be competitive. Whether you see that or not isn't the fault of anyone, but yourself.

Top Bottom