dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I truly wished the NBA had gone under.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-raise-21m-at-vince-carters-house-in-orlando/

NBA stars help Obama raise $2.1M at Vince Carter's house in Orlando
Published February 24, 2012
ORLANDO, Fla. – President Barack Obama may be focusing his re-election campaign on appealing to the little guys -- America's low and middle-income earners -- but that had to change Thursday night when he found himself in a room full of very, very big guys.

Former Orlando Magic star, and current Dallas Maverick, Vince Carter hosted the $30,000-a-head fundraising event for the president at his mansion in southwest Orlando.

With NBA All-Star festivities set to kick off in the city on Friday, the list of attendees included a veritable who's who of current and former NBA players and executives -- including Magic Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, Chris Paul, NBA Commissioner David Stern and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

"Obviously, those here, we've been blessed," Obama told the 70-strong crowd Thursday night. "But one of the great things about America and one of the great things about professional sports is we've all got cousins, uncles, family members, who are still struggling. And we are reminded we have a lot more work to do."

The 70 guests at the event were seated on Carter's personal, indoor basketball court, the Sentinel reported, helping to raise an estimated $2.1 million.

Obama said his administration was committed to giving low and middle-income households the ability to improve their way of life.

"We want success. We want to make sure that somebody like Vince Carter can build a house like this," Obama said, adding that while people "might not have the same vertical [leap] as Vince ... they may have just as much talent in the arts or science."

Obama's re-election campaign received $5,000 from each ticket sold to the event, while the remainder of the money went to the Democratic National Committee.

Several NBA players paid the ticket price for the event, but had to send their apologies due to their schedule. The Miami Heat's big three -- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh -- were among those who couldn't attend in person due to their game Thursday night against New York.

Earlier Thursday, Obama held two fundraisers in Coral Gables and Miami.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...vince-carters-house-in-orlando/#ixzz1nJSZlyjZ

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Guarantee you wont see the NFL, MLB or NHL doing anything like this.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
because mega-rich Republicans don't raise money for their candidates ???

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
because mega-rich Republicans don't raise money for their candidates ???

check back with me when you see an other major league sanctioned event with their VIP's their to support a candidate.

Cythim

Reaction score

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
To be fair, dbair. NFL owners contribute more towards Republicans than Democrats.

Bob Kraft is a huge Repub booster.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You are a special kind of :Dunce

Tell me how many of these kinds of events are attended by team owners for Republicans.

None that I've ever heard of, and thats the issue. And certainly none in the fashion this one was conducted in.

Reaction score
Quit being a dumb fuck please, you know that had nothing to do with what my point was.

God help us figuring out what your point was. As always I just assumed that it was republicans good democrats bad or something retarded like that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
God help us figuring out what your point was. As always I just assumed that it was republicans good democrats bad or something retarded like that.

doesnt surprise me that reading comprehension isnt a strong suit for you

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
NFL owners lean right in political donations
Posted by Mike Florio on October 8, 2011, 10:47 PM EST
100204_GOP_logo

I quit caring about politics once I quit practicing law. But my apathy occasionally becomes disrupted when two of the primary diversions for folks who crave attention but lack acting ability, musical talent, and/or high-end good looks intersect.

NFL owners donate plenty of money to candidates for elected office. According to Reuters, roughly two-thirds of the money goes to Republicans. (Reached for comment, Hank Williams, Jr. said, “Oooooh yeaaahhhhhh!“)

A study published by the Center for Responsive Politics identified all money given by owners, their spoues, and players. The bulk of the money came from owners.

The biggest spender was Texans owner Bob McNair, who has given mainly to Republican candidates and committees. The Jets, Chargers, Cardinals, Cowboys, Broncos, Panthers, Chiefs, Redskins, Lions and Ravens also leaned right.

Donations predominantly going to Democratic candidates and committees came from the Seahawks, Rams, 49ers, Raiders, Eagles, Giants, Patriots, and Saints.

Top Bottom