Cythim

Reaction score
He didn't?? lol

I don't remember reading "prototypical pocket passer" in his scouting report.

That is because he is not a prototypical pocket passer, he is a quarterback who can run. Steve Young was not a prototypical pocket passer either, he was a scrambling quarterback.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That is because he is not a prototypical pocket passer, he is a quarterback who can run. Steve Young was not a prototypical pocket passer either, he was a scrambling quarterback.

Steve Young had better throwing mechanics coming out of college than Mike Vick did.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/michael_vick.html

Negatives... Tries to carry the "weight of the world" on his shoulders too much...Seems very uncomfortable being in the limelight...Still needs to mature as a player...Sometimes gets too confident in his running skills, forgetting to eye his secondary receivers in order to run with the ball when his primary target is not available...Tends to get into a three-quarter throwing motion as the game wears on, taking a little zip off his tosses... Has a little bit of a wind-up in his release when throwing long, which makes his receivers work a little harder in order to get to the ball...Has good arm strength, but needs to refine his throwing mechanics, as he is not that quick to load and reload in his delivery.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/qb.html
Vick is the best athlete in this year's class, but with the day and age of the dreaded salary cap and veteran free agency, can San Diego afford to invest mega-dollars in a player that they are questioning his ability to read defenses and run a pro-style offense?

You guys are right, no questions at all about Vick's throwing mechanics when he came out. I wonder why he wasn't moved to WR right out of the gate? Oh I know, because that whole white/black thing is a bunch of bull-shit. Kordell Stewart was so 1995.

Cythim

Reaction score
Cythim, you're so fucking dumb, we both were initially in agreement? Fucking twat.

Selective reading, the link also said:

Has a snappy overhead delivery
Knows how to lay the ball away from defenders on his deep tosses and shows good touch on his post patterns
Puts impressive zip behind his short tosses, threading the needle on his slants
Leads his receivers well into the pass on his long outs
Anticipates coverages, throwing to receivers away from defenders

Needing to refine his mechanics is not the same as having serious questions about his mechanics.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Snappy overhead delivery? Vick is king of the sidearm and it takes him a half hour to wind up. I object, your honor.

Cythim

Reaction score
Snappy overhead delivery? Vick is king of the sidearm and it takes him a half hour to wind up. I object, your honor.

Object all you like, it is Bob's link in an effort to make it seem like Vick was a huge question mark at QB coming out of college.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Object all you like, it is Bob's link in an effort to make it seem like Vick was a huge question mark at QB coming out of college.

Noone questioned the fact that Vick only played 2 years of college football and never threw for even 2,000 yards in a season, or at least 15 TDs, or completed 60% of his passes in any of those years?

Cythim

Reaction score
Noone questioned the fact that Vick only played 2 years of college football and never threw for even 2,000 yards in a season, or at least 15 TDs, or completed 60% of his passes in any of those years?

That is why he was the #1 overall pick AMIRITE?!?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That is why he was the #1 overall pick AMIRITE?!?

He was one of the most exciting college football players, THE most probably, the year he declared for the draft. Plus he had unrealized, immense physical potential.

He was drafted #1 overall to get the Falcon fanbase excited, to provide plays both on the ground and through the air early in his career, similar to the expectations of one Tim Tebow, and hopefully develop as a QB down the road. It only took him 8 years to do the latter.

Last edited:

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Same reason analysts pretended McNabb wasn't DONE for five years.

I'm tired of seeing black QBs given a pass by the media. Can you imagine the backlash on Tebow if he had a dogfighting ring? Vick is like it's just how I was raised and I don't know anyone in the south who DOESN'T have a dogfighting ring and he's completely forvigen by the negro analysts like Tom Jackson.

Meanwhile if Tebow ever comes out of the closet he'll be crucified, which would bring it full circle I guess.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score

Vick has one of the quickest releases in the NFL he does not have a wind up.

I am no fan of Vick but lets not make shit up that simply is not true.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Vick has one of the quickest releases in the NFL he does not have a wind up.

Dude has to bring the ball behind his back to throw it. I don't know how his elbow handles the torque, but it takes fucking forever, which is another reason he takes so many big hits.

True story.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Same reason analysts pretended McNabb wasn't DONE for five years.

I'm tired of seeing black QBs given a pass by the media. Can you imagine the backlash on Tebow if he had a dogfighting ring? Vick is like it's just how I was raised and I don't know anyone in the south who DOESN'T have a dogfighting ring and he's completely forvigen by the negro analysts like Tom Jackson.

Meanwhile if Tebow ever comes out of the closet he'll be crucified, which would bring it full circle I guess.

Yeah Vick and Young have been given total passes and have never been crucified in the media.lol

Are you actually trying to say that Vick got off and was given a pass with his dogfighting?

Top Bottom