Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It's the theory of self-defense run amok.

Dude probably had a switchblade. He was 4 feet away from them... even if you have your gun drawn and not your taser, shoot the guy in the leg.

Article says there were 2 cops. Had one for each leg.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
We can still discuss speculation, it's ok.

Even after all the mental gymnastics are done trying to justify what the cop did, at the end, he was armed, had the gun in his hand, and aimed it at an unarmed person. The cop shot him 6 times. How can anyone justify that?

maybe because one shot wasn't enough? the guy was a big dude. if the cop was justified in using lethal force, then the # of shots is irrelevant.

Reaction score
if the cop was justified in using lethal force
That's the whole thing...

I can't imagine a circumstance where a cop who has the gun in his hands and aimed at an 18 year old unarmed person would be justified in using lethal force.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
grizzly bears are likewise unarmed. does that mean they shouldn't be shot if they threaten your life? maybe the physically imposing Brown tried to wrest away the cop's gun. like I said, speculation.

Reaction score
if we're gonna assume things let's err on the side of the guy who has not been murdered, after all

if he wasn't doing anything wrong then why was he murdered?

#commonsense

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
That's the whole thing...

I can't imagine a circumstance where a cop who has the gun in his hands and aimed at an 18 year old unarmed person would be justified in using lethal force.

I doubt the cop knew what the guy's age was when this happened. Why is it relevant? Should the fact the guy was 6'5" and 300lbs be relevant? I noticed you left that out.

Reaction score
grizzly bears are likewise unarmed. does that mean they shouldn't be shot if they threaten your life? maybe the physically imposing Brown tried to wrest away the cop's gun. like I said, speculation.
Grizzly bears? come on.

He may have tried to get the gun away. I'm assuming everything in the cops favor on that. Even after I do that, the cop had the gun and had it aimed at an unarmed person. There is no more threat after that, certainly not one justifying lethal force.

I doubt the cop knew what the guy's age was when this happened. Why is it relevant? Should the fact the guy was 6'5" and 300lbs be relevant? I noticed you left that out.
God forbid he try to figure out the guy's age. Shoot first, ask questions later, amirite? And no, when the 6'5", 300 lb person is unarmed and you have a gun aimed at them, I don't think their size alone justifies the use of lethal force.

As I've done in the past few pages here, assuming Brown did try to wrestle the gun away from the cop, Brown didn't get the gun. The cop fought off the 6'5", 300 lb guy from getting his gun, he pulled it from the holster, aimed it at Brown, and shot him 6 times. If he was a physical threat, the cop would probably know hey, this 300 lb guy doesn't know how to handle himself... he probably knows the guy is at least very immature physically. The cop has the gun, it's in his hand alone... Brown is no longer a threat justifying lethal force. If he could fight Brown off of his gun, he could likely take him down and cuff him. At the very least, he could have shot him in the leg, disabling him... then ask questions about his age, ID, etc.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Grizzly bears? come on.

He may have tried to get the gun away. I'm assuming everything in the cops favor on that. Even after I do that, the cop had the gun and had it aimed at an unarmed person. There is no more threat after that, certainly not one justifying lethal force.

the turd had no respect for the rule of law (see: convenience store robbery). so why would he respect a cop? are you assuming that Brown was passive or in the act of surrendering when the cop shot him? just because the cop pulled the gun didn't mean the confrontation was over in Brown's eyes.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
God forbid he try to figure out the guy's age. Shoot first, ask questions later, amirite? And no, when the 6'5", 300 lb person is unarmed and you have a gun aimed at them, I don't think their size alone justifies the use of lethal force.

As I've done in the past few pages here, assuming Brown did try to wrestle the gun away from the cop, Brown didn't get the gun. The cop fought off the 6'5", 300 lb guy from getting his gun, he pulled it from the holster, aimed it at Brown, and shot him 6 times. If he was a physical threat, the cop would probably know hey, this 300 lb guy doesn't know how to handle himself... he probably knows the guy is at least very immature physically. The cop has the gun, it's in his hand alone... Brown is no longer a threat justifying lethal force. If he could fight Brown off of his gun, he could likely take him down and cuff him. At the very least, he could have shot him in the leg, disabling him... then ask questions about his age, ID, etc.
Come on, now. You just said that the guy may have been trying to take the gun from the officer. What was he going to do with it if he got it? And if you can show me one instance of an officer EVER trying to ascertain somebody's age during a physical altercation, I'll concede that point. And that guy's size is relevant, especially if you consider as you've already admitted to, that he may have been trying to take the gun from the officer.

And I may be wrong, but didn't witnesses say the first shot was fired WHILE they were wrestling for the gun?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
We can still discuss speculation, it's ok.

Even after all the mental gymnastics are done trying to justify what the cop did, at the end, he was armed, had the gun in his hand, and aimed it at an unarmed person. The cop shot him 6 times. How can anyone justify that?

So. if the 300 lb guy charged him and wouldn't listen to STOP, was he supposed to throw down his gun and duke it out?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Grizzly bears? come on.

:lol

"Hey, god dammit, that's my gun. Don't you know you aren't supposed to take a cop's gun? I mean, my god, how old are you n stuff?"

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Come on, now. You just said that the guy may have been trying to take the gun from the officer. What was he going to do with it if he got it? And if you can show me one instance of an officer EVER trying to ascertain somebody's age during a physical altercation, I'll concede that point. And that guy's size is relevant, especially if you consider as you've already admitted to, that he may have been trying to take the gun from the officer.

And I may be wrong, but didn't witnesses say the first shot was fired WHILE they were wrestling for the gun?

You are correct. Witnesses said that Brown came in the window or car door after the cop, and they were wrestling for the gun the first time it went off.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
shoot the guy in the leg.
He who aims for the leg or aims to wound usually gets killed, himself. They train you to shoot to kill, preferably just to the right of the sternum, as you're viewing it. The training kicks in during duress, it's mostly muscle memory in action. That's the entire reason for the training.

There aren't any firearms training courses or trainers who will teach anyone to shoot for the leg. Because it's stupid.

Top Bottom