NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I won't pretend that your response makes any sense.

What you do is scout the talent, rank your board accordingly, and then draft the best talent available when you're on the clock.

What you don't do, ever, if you want to have quality draft classes, is bypass a superior player because of the current state of your roster.

If the Cowboys pick, say, 8th overall, and they have a QB prospect as the clear cut top guy, you take him.

Free agency is for needs. The NFL draft is for improving your talent base. If need matches that talent, bonus.

You act like you have years of experience GMin' an NFL team.

I realize I'm still the new guy but is there something that everyone's not telling me? lol

sbk92

Reaction score
You act like you have years of experience GMin' an NFL team.

I realize I'm still the new guy but is there something that everyone's not telling me? lol

They're not telling you that I'm not an idiot and that I pay attention to what the successful teams do in this league.

C

Cr122

So when have the Pats taken a QB early?

Well, they most certainly hit the motherlode with the Brady pick in the late rounds, no doubt.

That's what good teams with good GM's do.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well, they most certainly hit the motherlode with the Brady pick in the late rounds, no doubt.

They got lucky with Brady. They had no idea that he was goi9ng to turn out the way he did, otherwise they wouldn't have waited until the 6th round.

Reaction score

It was luck.

On a documentary, and it might have been one of the NFL Network America's Teams episodes, they mentioned that the Patriots were torn between taking Tim Rattay and Tom Brady, and that they both had the same grade.

It agree with the philosophy of taking a QB frequently in the draft, say every other year. That was smart. But lets not act like Pioli and Bellichick had any idea Brady could be what he is.

sbk92

Reaction score
So when have the Pats taken a QB early?

When have the Pats been in that situation?

I'm talking about situations where one player is clearly a notch above the rest of the prospects on the board. That's probably not very often.

The Cowboys did it last year with Dez Bryant. He wasn't a need. They just gave Roy a boatload of money and Miles Austin was coming off a Pro Bowl year. They didn't go into that draft intent on selecting a WR with the first pick. But when he was there and clearly the BPA on their board by a mile, they took him.

If we were to have the first pick, Luck would be the clear BPA. You take him. Regardless of what your roster looks like at the time.

sbk92

Reaction score
They got lucky with Brady. They had no idea that he was goi9ng to turn out the way he did, otherwise they wouldn't have waited until the 6th round.

You still give them credit for making the pick.

Inferior Bill has made a career out of Tom Brady making him look like the GOAT.

Cythim

Reaction score
When have the Pats been in that situation?

I'm talking about situations where one player is clearly a notch above the rest of the prospects on the board. That's probably not very often.

The Cowboys did it last year with Dez Bryant. He wasn't a need. They just gave Roy a boatload of money and Miles Austin was coming off a Pro Bowl year. They didn't go into that draft intent on selecting a WR with the first pick. But when he was there and clearly the BPA on their board by a mile, they took him.

If we were to have the first pick, Luck would be the clear BPA. You take him. Regardless of what your roster looks like at the time.

There is a clear difference in picking a position like WR and QB. Bryant gets playing time despite our depth at WR while if we had been able to draft Bradford it is likely that he wouldn't Get on the field for a few years.

sbk92

Reaction score
There is a clear difference in picking a position like WR and QB. Bryant gets playing time despite our depth at WR while if we had been able to draft Bradford it is likely that he wouldn't Get on the field for a few years.

So what if he doesn't get on the field for a few years? This isn't free agency where the main objective is instant impact. This is about upgrading your talent base.

Why is the QB position viewed as the most important on the field yet the only position where great depth is frowned upon? Makes no sense to me.

As if we couldn't use the next Peyton Manning because we have a 30 year old Tony Romo on the roster.

Make sure we remind ourselves of that as we watch the QB we viewed as that good set records and live in the postseason every year. Oh yeah, we didn't take him because we needed a blocker at that time. That QB was a luxury we couldn't afford. We figured when we really needed one, a top flight blue chip player would appear out of nowhere for us. Like, ya know, when Aikman retired.

Cythim

Reaction score
Unless rookie contracts dractically change, no team with a solid franchise QB will draft another that early. They will do what the Colts and Pats have been doing; they will draft QBs in the mid rounds until they find the right guy.

sbk92

Reaction score
Unless rookie contracts dractically change, no team with a solid franchise QB will draft another that early. They will do what the Colts and Pats have been doing; they will draft QBs in the mid rounds until they find the right guy.

When do those teams have top 5-10 picks to get that super blue chip QB prospect?

They're picking at the bottom of the draft order every year.

Cythim

Reaction score
And quality QBs drop that far sometimes. Flacco and Brees are just two of the names that come to mind.

C

Cr122

And quality QBs drop that far sometimes. Flacco and Brees are just two of the names that come to mind.

Yeah, sometimes you can find them later in the round, it depends on the other teams needs or if they want a QB or not.

But, you bet your ass if I were a GM and Brees and Flacco were there, I'd draft them.

sbk92

Reaction score
Neither Brees or Flacco carried anywhere near the grade Luck is going to have this spring. They weren't even considered lock 1st round values. Some had Brees at the end of the round, most had Flacco in round 2.

Brees had the size and arm strength issue. Flacco, the level of competition.

I don't believe the Pats, Colts or Ravens have ever sat in their war room, stared at a QB prospect as the clear cut best available at their pick and decided to reach for somebody else.

sbk92

Reaction score
That's what the need whores are telling you to do. Reach for a player.

Cythim

Reaction score
No one is saying reach, if Luck is there when we pick there will be plenty of teams ready to trade their draft away to get him.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score

Yea, correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't the Pats draft Mayo at 10 with Flacco still on the board. Not sure which players went in between there but I'd say that "take the franchise QB when you already have one no matter what" theory goes out the window seeing as the Pats didn't do it.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
No one is saying reach, if Luck is there when we pick there will be plenty of teams ready to trade their draft away to get him.

And that would be best case scenario for us.

I'm not talking about trading down 10 picks here... Just a few and we should be able to pick up a couple extra high picks... possibly a quality vet, and still get a guy we were targeting at our original slot.

Top Bottom