TheBlackJellyBean

Spectator
Reaction score
Did you hear Garrett today? Dak's job isn't safe - he didn't lock him in as the future starter. He didn't laud praise over him either even though he got off the mat at 21-3 and ties the football game.

Garrett is a Romo GUY , and we won't get anywhere near his worth this off season , at best we'll get a 4th and 7th rd package for Romo.

No way JJ and co let him walk for that and in my heart of hearts I believe Garrett truly wanted Romo back in there but knew he'd lose the team.

Now he has all off season to devise a way to give Touchdown Tony the reigns back.

Romo will get one more go with this OL.

You heard it here first.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Kind of funny that over the years a lot of fans criticized the team for just naming a starter and not making that starter earn the position (over time). Romo is a perfect example. He's never had anyone to challenge him for his job. I have. I idea if they will bring someone in to challenge Dak or if Romo would be kept to challenge him but Dak actually seems to perform better when he's under pressure.

I doubt Red has some grand scheme to make Dak better but by accident he could actually be doing that. Just a thought.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm playing devil's advocate here, so don't shoot me down, but what if some QB needy team, instead of trading for Romo, attempts to trade for Prescott? If it was a Herschel Walker type dumb multiple high picks offer would you be even remotely tempted, knowing you still had Romo?

Last edited:

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Now I see what you did there.

And neither would I Middie. I'm all in on Dak.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Only way Prescott isn't the starter here is if he gets hurt.

Or maybe Mara and Goodell get together and talk about that time in kindergarten when Prescott was caught taking another kids cookie and eating it. Might be worth a 4 game suspension. Might be a full offseason investigation into this.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I didn't hear anything like what jelly bean said. Garrett was almost talking about Tony in past tense, saying how great he'd been here, contributing to the history of the franchise, etc. It was pretty much a Tony send off.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm playing devil's advocate here, so don't shoot me down, but what if some QB needy team, instead of trading for Romo, attempts to trade for Prescott? If it was a Herschel Walker type dumb multiple high picks offer would you be even remotely tempted, knowing you still had Romo?

no way in hell

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm playing devil's advocate here, so don't shoot me down, but what if some QB needy team, instead of trading for Romo, attempts to trade for Prescott?
Ask the rest of the the league, particularly those who have whiffed on high franchise QB draft picks (Rams for example) how hard it is to find franchise QBs. "The ole wildcatter" literally had one fall into his lap that he basically doesnt have to pay for three more years in Dak. For him to entertain the thought of trading Dak might actually precipitate him getting committed or worse.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Garrett was just not going to tell Romo he's gone through his press conference. That's all it was.

And you have to keep that trade value up. :jerrysign

In all seriousness, I don't even think we can trade him. It's like a $20 mil cap hit if we trade him, and we're already over the cap for 2017. He'll be a June 1 cut.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I don't even think we can trade him. It's like a $20 mil cap hit if we trade him, and we're already over the cap for 2017. He'll be a June 1 cut.

I do agree some of the coachspeak in that PC was about potential trade value. I'm sure him and Jones have talked and want to make it at least seem like a POSSIBILITY Romo might be part of the plans here for 2017. If they let it out that he's definitely gone no matter what, it lessens interest teams will have to want to give up something for him.

I don't agree about not being able to trade him though. They can rework his deal to make it more affordable to trade, and they are going to gain something by getting his salary off the books. I don't have all the trade/release/retire cap info this sec but it has been posted recently and it is doable. The key is getting him into a situation he wants to go to, so that he is agreeable to reworking his deal. I think that was always a given anyway though, they wouldn't trade him somewhere he had no interest in.

Top Bottom