Reaction score
Stephen Jones doesn't know what 'purple drank' is; his original career plan before dad bought the Cowboys
By SportsDayDFW.com

Stephen Jones' team just lost a linebacker to it for 10 games, but don't go asking the Cowboys VP what "purple drank" is.

In an interview on NBC Sports Radio's The Newy Scruggs Show, Jones said when news came out that Rolando McClain had gained 30 pounds on purple drank, it was the first he'd heard of it.

"I've never heard of it. Still not sure what it is," Jones said.

Purple drank, also called "lean" (or "sizzurp" if you peaked in 2000) is a mixture of codeine syrup and Sprite. According to a handful of Cowboys sources, the drink was the cause of McClain's most recent drug-test failure, netting him a 10-game suspension.

"At the end of the day, we know nothing about that [situation]," Jones told Scruggs. "Like I said, never heard of it. The things that we are aware of we're unable to share, so there's confidentiality and respect that goes with those type of things. As I said three or four days ago, we've said all we're going to say about that situation."

Jones also shared that he originally planned on being a chemical engineer in the oil industry out of college until his father, Jerry Jones, bought the Cowboys. Stephen Jones played safety while at Arkansas after being moved from quarterback.

"I had a wonderful college career. But then I had planned on - and that's why I was a chemical engineer - going into the oil business with Jerry," Jones said. "I did about a year and a half of that and we sold the business. And he took those proceeds and bought the Dallas Cowboys with them."

My job right away was to get involved in everything. Although I was in marketing/stadium department setting sponsorships, which I still do today, I'm involved in all aspects of our business."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Never heard of it either till the other day. Whoever made it up cant speak English apparently.

Top Bottom