Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yep, and yep.
Plus, the o-line looks and performs a whole lot better when defenses are scared Dak might take off with it. Removing that possibility from our offense means d-lines can just tee off, means they're not scared to blitz and run stunts and loops, means DEs aren't scared to crash in on the obligatory 1st and 10 A-gap runs... and so on.

I noticed the last couple of games, we're using some "packages" where Pollard and Zeke are in at the same time - this scares the shit out of the defense, they hold back and aren't just howling in. Too bad we don't have any useful plays, to go with those "packages."

I'd bring back the old split-back set, and have some killer plays to go with it. Imagine it on 1st and 10 - they would be scared shitless! Remember Dorsett and Preston Pearson in split-back? Deadly.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jaylon has not looked like the same player, though I think we'll find out after the year that he may have played injured all year. He got dinged on his knee in the 3rd preseason game (might have been 2nd one not sure) and he hobbled off the field right after it. He has not looked the same sense. He certainly looked fast and explosive (like last year) all of camp prior to that and in the little bit of preseason time he saw PT in before that happened.
there were videos of jaylon covering tavon austin or pollard in camp and staying relatively stride for stride

LVE wasnt playing too great either before getting hurt. cant remember anything joe thomas has done when he looked like a good depth player last year.

its weird because the position as a whole has declined. what caused the dropoff of the linebackers ?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
what caused the dropoff of the linebackers ?
We changed up how they play, changed their assignments. The Gimp wants to rush the QB, fancies himself a meanie and wants to get some sacks. The former Seahawks' DC wants to be Mr. Fancy Pants, therefore the defense is so complicated now, they have to freeze and think way too much instead of just flying to the ball. Much like what we had with Fat Rob, the old 1,200-page defensive playbook. Although ours is currently only 990-page.

We just can't seem to keep shit simple, we gotta constantly "fix" things that aren't broke.

kwcoolk619

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding the defense versus the Bears. As someone mentioned beforehand, why was Jaylon on Allen Robinson three straight plays? What was that supposed to accomplish? Where was the secondary? Was that a Kris Richard call?

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding the defense versus the Bears. As someone mentioned beforehand, why was Jaylon on Allen Robinson three straight plays? What was that supposed to accomplish? Where was the secondary? Was that a Kris Richard call?
may have been result of secondary blitzing ?? i didnt watch the whole game but i noticed jourdan lewis blitz at least twice

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
there were videos of jaylon covering tavon austin or pollard in camp and staying relatively stride for stride

LVE wasnt playing too great either before getting hurt. cant remember anything joe thomas has done when he looked like a good depth player last year.

its weird because the position as a whole has declined. what caused the dropoff of the linebackers ?

LVE was battling vertigo early in the year and other than maybe a couple games before the neck stinger, he hasn't looked the same either. Vertigo is not an easy thing to shake sometimes and could definitely impact his ability to play at the level he was use to.

That said, Ben Bloom is a horrendous coach (par for the course for this staff). None of them gets quality coaching and the scheme itself is so lousy that I think it's almost impossible for anyone to look "good" in it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Horrendous scheme. Everyone blames Marinelli because they like to think of him as a Garrett caused problem, but Richard runs the defense. He calls the plays and redesigned all the coverage schemes.

And while Dooms said above he thinks they have overcomplicated things, I tend to agree with Troy and Romo more, they do the same thing every play. Same formation. Same coverage schemes. Occasionally someone will blitz but it's easy to see coming.

Like Romo said during one of his broadcasts, it worked for Seattle for 2-3 years because they had elite talent and were doing something teams hadn't seen before, they could run the same stuff virtually every snap and get away with it. But everyone has seen it for years now.

There's a reason Pete Carroll fired Richard, now we are all seeing why.

Top Bottom