Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
You're comparing a game which had only one punt, where neither defense stopped the other to a significant degree, to what happened vs. Detroit? Comparing a game where the turnovers were even vs. a game where Dallas was +5 but scored no points off the five turnovers?

I'm asking why the understanding tone when it comes to the defense choking. Yeah, they did okay for 3 qtrs, but let Detroit do anything they wanted in the 4th QTR. Eventually letting them take the ball down the field and score a TD in the late stages.

Then I'm asking how you can pin a game like Denver on your QB when he was the only reason it was a game to begin with, but there's no built in excuse there for him there.

I understand the difference between defensive and offensive performances in both games, I'm just missing the part where you can look at both games and determine that it was the QB(or offense) that came up short both times.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
And, you never saw one.

There may have been a game or two like that, but let's be honest, unless it's my imagination, nearly every game seems like it comes down to the last possession the last 3 or so years.

There are the exceptions, blowing out a shitty team here and there, but even the shitty teams seem to give Dallas fits.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
There may have been a game or two like that, but let's be honest, unless it's my imagination, nearly every game seems like it comes down to the last possession the last 3 or so years.

There are the exceptions, blowing out a shitty team here and there, but even the shitty teams seem to give Dallas fits.
Wait until the Jaguars beat us in London in their Super Bowl.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm asking why the understanding tone when it comes to the defense choking. Yeah, they did okay for 3 qtrs, but let Detroit do anything they wanted in the 4th QTR. Eventually letting them take the ball down the field and score a TD in the late stages.
When the defense provides five turnovers and has to endure all the 3 and outs and the seven punts, where's the choke?

Then I'm asking how you can pin a game like Denver on your QB when he was the only reason it was a game to begin with, but there's no built in excuse there for him there.
Although I never did that, I lay the blame on that loss on the defense where it belongs. But of course only one team all year stopped Denver - I suppose if I were blaming Romo I would be like alot of fellas not acknowledging the great offensive play calling by redball in that game. BOOM.

Romo merely offered up his pick at the worst possible time, is all.

I understand the difference between defensive and offensive performances in both games, I'm just missing the part where you can look at both games and determine that it was the QB(or offense) that came up short both times.
I didn't. I showed you how, for the Detroit game, one could reasonably blame either the offense or the defense depending on your point of view. But look, five turnovers garnered by the defense and not one point scored off them? And you lose by one point?
The games where Dallas needed to score last in order to win were the exception last year, not the rule. Although it seems like it.

And the main point being - give us back 4 or 5 plays that went against us all season, either offensively or defensively - and we're 11-5 instead of 8-8. This team is not as terrible as most believe.

Reaction score
When the defense provides five turnovers and has to endure all the 3 and outs and the seven punts, where's the choke?
Not really a "choke" but the defense was miserable against Denver. That's what Sheik was saying.

I didn't. I showed you how, for the Detroit game, one could reasonably blame either the offense or the defense depending on your point of view. But look, five turnovers garnered by the defense and not one point scored off them? And you lose by one point?
The games where Dallas needed to score last in order to win were the exception last year, not the rule. Although it seems like it.

Games that were within a margin of one score going into the last two minutes last year...

Week 1 vs. Giants
Chiefs
Broncos
Lions
Vikings
Week 12 vs. Giants
Raiders
Packers
Week 16 vs. Redskins
Week 17 vs. Eagles

That's 10 by my count.

Reaction score
Romo is pretty much working off memory from Payton and Parcells. He hasn't had coaching since Parcells left. It's pretty impressive that he has played this well with that taken into consideration. I think he could have been better than Brees if Sean Payton stayed here. Coaching is so important in the NFL. It's funny that Chicago couldn't wait to get rid of Wade Wilson but for some reason this franchise continues to employee him.

Danny White had coaching and a pretty good team around him, and couldn't come through when it mattered. Romo's situation has a few more variables. Our best shot was from 2007-2009, but we had a coach who is a perennial loser, and then replaced him with an even worse coach. The last few seasons don't really matter to me. The window has been shut and about 6 other teams are going to be much better than us for years to come, so we surely don't have a chance unless Garrett is canned and we get a coach who can bring in some talent. We're pretty much the Raiders of the NFC.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not really a "choke" but the defense was miserable against Denver. That's what Sheik was saying.
He was talking about the Detroit game. The one where the defense garnered five turnovers.
Games that were within a margin of one score going into the last two minutes last year...

Week 1 vs. Giants
Chiefs
Broncos
Lions
Vikings
Week 12 vs. Giants
Raiders
Packers
Week 16 vs. Redskins
Week 17 vs. Eagles

That's 10 by my count.
Which does not fit his meter of "have to score last every week in order to win."

Some of those on your list are the ones who had to score last.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Doomsday, you are discounting the playcalling in all this. If Garrett could call a decent game, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

With as many plays as Romo changes, playcalling probably should be discounted.

Regardless of who calls plays, no QB should be throwing into triple covered receivers.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
With as many plays as Romo changes, playcalling probably should be discounted.

Regardless of who calls plays, no QB should be throwing into triple covered receivers.

Okay, let's go your route. Discount the playcalling. Now, once that is all said and done, you can blame Garrett for not reining in Romo for changing those plays. Either route you take brings you back to Garrett being the problem.

Reaction score
He was talking about the Detroit game. The one where the defense garnered five turnovers.
No. Sheik was asking you why you take up for the defense saying it should be enough to win when they get 5 turnovers and we don't score any points off of them in Detroit, but when Romo and the offense score 45 points against Denver, you choose to focus on the INT at the end of the game, instead of hey we scored 45 points, that should be enough for a win...

Which does not fit his meter of "have to score last every week in order to win."

Some of those on your list are the ones who had to score last.
Which games do you take issue with the metric "having to score last to win" applying? Certainly not the Chiefs, Broncos, Lions, Vikings, Giants, Packers, Redskins and Eagles right? That's 8. The first Giants win we had been up 27-10 in the 3rd quarter. The Giants had scored two straight TDs, with a FG by Bailey in between to put us up by 6 under two minutes, the Giants had the ball, and Brandon Carr returned a pick for a TD to put the game out of reach. The Giants still drove down the field and scored a late TD to put it at 36-31. We had to score in the last 2 minutes to win. Against Oakland it was tied at 21 going into the 4th, and we scored 10 in that quarter (including a FG with 1:56 remaining to put the game out of reach. Oakland kicked a FG with 35 seconds left, but if we hadn't gotten that FG with under 2 minutes left, they would have skipped the FG and tried to score a TD obviously.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No. Sheik was asking you why you take up for the defense saying it should be enough to win when they get 5 turnovers
As I pointed out, I wasn't. I merely also pointed out that if just one of those turnovers were converted into points, Dallas wins the Detroit game.

He WAS talking about the Detroit game however. We've agreed to lay the blame on the defense, for the Denver loss.
Which games do you take issue with the metric "having to score last to win" applying?
Isn't that about how it is, in this age of parity? The last team to score generally does win. As Tom Landry said, "The other team pays its players too."

Top Bottom