MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Like a show was saying earlier, some of the largest hands in the NFL belong to Ryan Mallett.

Some of the smallest in his class, Derek Carr.

Some of this stuff is so overrated.

It is a bit overrated but it can definitely be a cause for a lot of fumbles too.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Why a quarterback's hand size matters to the NFL | FOX Sports

This article is why you cannot believe everything you read on things like hand size. Just a few quotes from the aricle.

"For comparison’s sake, Tony Romo’s hand was measured at 8.88 inches. Anything bigger than 9 1⁄2 is considered large for an NFL QB prospect. "

In the exact same article a few paragraphs later

"At the time ESPN researched that since 2008 there had been 39 quarterbacks who had been measured with a hand size of 9 1/4 or smaller; less than one-fifth of them had even gone on to start half a season in the NFL and none had made a Pro Bowl."

Tony Romo made to Pro Bowl in 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2014! It makes you wonder how accurate these "facts" are when you read!

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Derek Carr's hand size is 9 1/8
Goff hands measured right at 9

so in what universe is an eighth of an inch worth talking about?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
See, if Romo has small hands (didn't know that until now), smaller than Goff, I doubt it would keep them from taking him.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Saw that too after I posted. A lot of conflicting info out there it seems like.

I'd tend to believe they were bigger, though... Not that it really matters.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I read one report that had Romo's hands at 8.8 inches and another that had him at 9.3. He wasn't an invite to the Combine when he was coming out (even though he volunteered to throw to the WR's) so he wasn't measured there.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I wonder if the big hands/small hands thing for a QB might be a bigger deal to teams that play outdoors where cold or other weather could be a factor.

Other than that, I guess the only other concern is maybe its harder for smaller handed QB's to control the football while being hit.

Obviously it isn't impacting his ability to throw the ball (Goff). He throws it just fine.

Reaction score
See, if Romo has small hands (didn't know that until now), smaller than Goff, I doubt it would keep them from taking him.

Do they measure wrist to middle finger tip ?

Or pinky to thumb spread out ?

I too read about romo having small Hands and was surprised bc I always thought his hands looked thick and meaty

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Do they measure wrist to middle finger tip ?

Or pinky to thumb spread out ?

I too read about romo having small Hands and was surprised bc I always thought his hands looked thick and meaty

They measure thumb to pinky spread out.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Apparently we spent some time interviewing Dak Prescott today

Yea I heard that too. If they pass on a QB in the first couple of rounds he's definitely the guy I'd like to see them draft in rounds 3 or 4. When he got in at the Senior Bowl he took the offense right down the field and scored with ease. He's also a 3 year starter in the SEC and has some impressive wins. He's a bit short though.

Top Bottom