Reaction score
[video]http://cbsprt.co/216YQkO[/video]​

If Jared Goff is available at No. 4 overall, should the Dallas Cowboys take him?

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. released his mock draft 2.0 on Thursday and he has the 'Boys selecting the talented quarterback in the first round. Here's what Kiper had to say about his pick of Goff at No. 4:

This is going to be a fascinating situation. On one hand, the Dallas front office isn't the least bit delusional if they look at the roster with a healthy Tony Romo and believe they can compete for a playoff spot, which makes it harder to take a QB who might not see the field for a couple of years. But ... let's not forget that they need to upgrade the backup QB situation, period. That's what derailed them last season when Romo was out. Tough call, especially if Goff is the top QB on their board and he's available here.

If Goff is the best player available, why not? The Cowboys desperately need their quarterback of the future with Romo's career coming to an end soon and Goff can be the replacement. It would be the exact situation that Aaron Rodgers was in before Brett Favre hung it up in Green Bay.

Goff is rated as the No. 4 overall prospect and No. 1 quarterback for this year's draft by CBS Sports. Goff has been projected by many to go No. 2 overall to the Browns, but Kiper has Cleveland selecting quarterback Carson Wentz. Wherever Goff ends up, the QB is not concerned.

"I'm not worried about it," Goff recently said. "I'm excited about it. Whatever team I go to, I'll be excited to go. I want to be the future of a franchise. I think I can be a guy who can make an impact right away.

"I think my accuracy is as good as it gets at this level. I think my pocket presence and my ability to extend plays speak for themselves. I'm confident I'll be the best quarterback in the draft."

The Cowboys passed up on many talented players in Kiper's mock draft 2.0. FSU defensive back Jalen Ramsey goes No. 5 to the Jaguars, Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa goes No. 6 to the Ravens and UCLA linebacker Myles Jack goes No. 7 to the 49ers.

Related: Cowboys NFL Mock Draft rundown: Feb. 17 — No quarterbacks?

What do you think about Goff pick for the 'Boys? Feel free to leave a comment below.

(What's next at the NFL Combine and Free Agency for the Cowboys? Make sure you're in the loop -- take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Cowboys newsletter now!)

http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Dallas-Cowboys-take-Cal-QB-Jared-Goff-in-Kiper-mock-draft-20-43781436

Reaction score
I admit Im no draft guru. However, I think this would be an excellent choice for the Cowboys @ #4 in this years draft.

Let Jared Goff learn from Tony (while on the bench) and give us a LOT better option for the Backup QB position in the meantime. :clap

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I'm a strong advocate of letting your next franchise QB sit for a year or two while he learns the process and offense. The problem with this, is that not every QB is created equal. Also not many coaches last very long and then the system changes and QB's get lost in that situation as well. That said, I believe that Jerry would not let Romo or Garrett for for a few more years. I firmly believe that next years draft will be much much stronger for what the Cowboys need and that they should trade the #4 pick for a number 1 next year etc etc. I think that when players start to drop, Goff or Bosa or Wentz or Jack, there will be some team that will be desperately looking for that player and I would take Fournette, who I think is the best back to come out since Bo Jackson in terms of size, strength and speed combination or Josh Rosen. Trading the #4 for several picks next year would give the Cowboys the firepower to move up the draft and take one of those players, hoping they come out of school early, which I do not see why not. This would allow Romo to play out most of his contract and be a much smaller hit against the cap and Rosen to sit a few years to learn. Plus the Cowboys still have the #36 overall and can grab a sturdy DT, which I believe is the biggest reason they are not getting to the QB and creating turnovers.

Last edited:

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm a strong advocate of letting your next franchise QB sit for a year or two while he learns the process and offense. The problem with this, is that not every QB is created equal. Also not many coaches last very long and then the system changes and QB's get lost in that situation as well. That said, I believe that Jerry would not let Romo or Garrett for for a few more years. I firmly believe that next years draft will be much much stronger for what the Cowboys need and that they should trade the #4 pick for a number 1 next year etc etc. I think that when players start to drop, Goff or Bosa or Wentz or Jack, there will be some team that will be desperately looking for that player and I would take Fournette, who I think is the best back to come out since Bo Jackson in terms of size, strength and speed combination or Josh Rosen. Trading the #4 for several picks next year would give the Cowboys the firepower to move up the draft and take one of those players, hoping they come out of school early, which I do not see why not. This would allow Romo to play out most of his contract and be a much smaller hit against the cap and Rosen to sit a few years to learn. Plus the Cowboys still have the #36 overall and can grab a sturdy DT, which I believe is the biggest reason they are not getting to the QB and creating turnovers.
very shortsighted and very unaware of history.

1) If you want a franchise QB the best place is top 5-10 picks. History, especially the last 20 years is very clear about this
2) when was the last time we had a top 5 pick? 2003.
3) SO WHAT ARE THE ODDS WE PICK THIS HIGH AGAIN IN THE NEXT TEN YEARS?
4) Remember what we had to give up to get Claiborne? Guarantee you that is a lot less if we were maneuvering to get a QB.
5) every year some bonehead claims next years QBs are going to be better then this years.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
very shortsighted and very unaware of history.

History is actually correct. I will name a few great QB's that were drafted outside of those picks and went on to have great careers

Roger Staubach
Joe Montana
Steve Young
Ben Roethlisberger
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Joe Flacco (I do not classify as great but some say he is an elite QB)
Tony Romo (Although not great, he has been in the top 5 in QBR enough times to justify his inclusion)

The thing about all these QB's except for 1 is that they all sat out at least a year before taking over. So I think I am pretty aware of history. Check your facts before you just regurgitate what Mel Kiper Jr. or Jon "Chucky" Gruden says. You can find a great QB, but you have to give him time to learn the system.

Regarding next year's draft. The seniors coming out aren't too hot but I am also looking at underclassmen who will most likely declare for the draft. Then it becomes a top heavy draft with about 1-2 QB's who could become elite (Rosen being the one I think would best fit the Cowboys).

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
History is actually correct. I will name a few great QB's that were drafted outside of those picks and went on to have great careers

Roger Staubach
Joe Montana
Steve Young
Ben Roethlisberger
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Joe Flacco (I do not classify as great but some say he is an elite QB)
Tony Romo (Although not great, he has been in the top 5 in QBR enough times to justify his inclusion)

The thing about all these QB's except for 1 is that they all sat out at least a year before taking over. So I think I am pretty aware of history. Check your facts before you just regurgitate what Mel Kiper Jr. or Jon "Chucky" Gruden says. You can find a great QB, but you have to give him time to learn the system.

Regarding next year's draft. The seniors coming out aren't too hot but I am also looking at underclassmen who will most likely declare for the draft. Then it becomes a top heavy draft with about 1-2 QB's who could become elite (Rosen being the one I think would best fit the Cowboys).

Staubach was only drafted where he was due to Navy commitment.

Young went to the USFL

Raperburger was a 1st rd pick

Rodgers was a 1st rd pick

Flacco was a 1st rd pick

QB's like Romo and Brady are anomalies. "Hope" is not a strategy when it comes to building NFL rosters.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If we're just throwing names out there... Mannings, Elway, Aikman, Plunkett, Bradshaw, and Namath. All drafted in the top 5.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If we're just throwing names out there... Mannings, Elway, Aikman, Plunkett, Bradshaw, and Namath. All drafted in the top 5.
Annnnd, most if not all played immediately.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Staubach was only drafted where he was due to Navy commitment.

Young went to the USFL

Raperburger was a 1st rd pick

Rodgers was a 1st rd pick

Flacco was a 1st rd pick

QB's like Romo and Brady are anomalies. "Hope" is not a strategy when it comes to building NFL rosters.

Yes but if you read the original post, it states that according to history you get your franchise QB between picks 5-10. This is why I gave those examples of QBs drafted out of picks 5-10 that went on to have hall of fame careers or are potential hall of famers.

Young went to the USFL but was also traded to San Francisco by Tampa Bay due to poor performance after they tried to make him the immediate starter. Where San Francisco had Montana and Young sat for a few years and learned then became great, himself. Which is another proven case of a QB needs to sit for 1-2 years and learn the system before becoming the starter. One of the major reasons for not drafting a QB this year is because the QB of the future will have to sit 3 years before getting his chance because of the structure of Romo's contract. I don't think anyone wants 20 million this year or 8 million next year in dead cap money, where if you draft a QB next year and let him sit 2 years Romo is released after 2 years if the QB works out and will only cost 2 million in dead cap money.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

So you mean they could have been even better than they were if they were allowed to sit and learn for a year or two? I think you're right.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So you mean they could have been even better than they were if they were allowed to sit and learn for a year or two? I think you're right.
I do not mean that at all. Sitting and learning teaches you nothing about the speed of the game and doesn't get you any rapport with your receivers. It's overrated.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I do not mean that at all. Sitting and learning teaches you nothing about the speed of the game and doesn't get you any rapport with your receivers. It's overrated.

Tell that to Aaron Rodgers.

Also if Goff is the guy for the Cowboys the year or two he'll sit will allow him to prepare his body to take the pounding in the NFL. He's a little light in the pants right now and needs to add some weight.

Last edited:

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score

Yes but lets look at those QBs

Elway

Year Att Comp Yards TD's INT
1983 259 123 1,663 7 14
1984 380 214 2,598 18 15
1985 605 327 3,891 22 23

Peyton Manning

1998 575 326 3,739 26 28
1999 533 331 4,135 26 15
2000 571 357 4,413 33 15

Aikman

1989 293 155 1,749 9 18
1990 399 226 2,579 11 18
1991 363 237 2,754 11 10

Plunkett

1971 328 158 2,158 19 16
1972 355 169 2,196 8 25
1973 376 193 2,550 13 17

Bradshaw

1970 218 83 1,410 6 24
1971 373 203 2,259 13 22
1972 308 147 1,887 12 12

These are the harsh historically accurate truths! Learn from history or you are doomed to repeat it. The first three years of these guys career were not great (except for Manning's), I'm sure we can all agree!

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yes but lets look at those QBs

Elway

Att Comp Yards TD's INT
1983 259 123 1,663 7 14
1984 380 214 2,598 18 15
1985 605 327 3,891 22 23

Peyton Manning

Att Comp Yards TD's INT
1998 575 326 3,739 26 28
1999 533 331 4,135 26 15
2000 571 357 4,413 33 15

Aikman

Att Comp Yards TD's INT
1989 293 155 1,749 9 18
1990 399 226 2,579 11 18
1991 363 237 2,754 11 10

Plunkett

Att Comp Yards TD's INT
1971 328 158 2,158 19 16
1972 355 169 2,196 8 25
1973 376 193 2,550 13 17

Bradshaw

Att Comp Yards TD's INT
1970 218 83 1,410 6 24
1971 373 203 2,259 13 22
1972 308 147 1,887 12 12

These are the harsh historically accurate truths! Learn from history or you are doomed to repeat it. The first three years of these guys career were not great, I'm sure we can all agree!

That's exactly why you should let them sit and learn for a year or two before putting them on the field as the full time starter. Again, like Aaron Rodgers.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score

I just proved how "overrated" sitting and learning is. All these QBs went on to have hall of fame careers while struggling their first 3 years. While those that sat for 1-2 years did very well the first year they took over as starters. Rapport with receivers who may or may not be there in 2-3 years due to free agency etc? Common sense to me: struggle for 3 years or sit and learn for 1-2 with a smoother transition. I'll take the less time and smoother transition all day.

Last edited:

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
That's exactly why you should let them sit and learn for a year or two before putting them on the field as the full time starter. Again, like Aaron Rodgers.

100% Agree

Too many QBS are ruined by 2 things in my opinion: Lack of coaching/system stability and being thrown into the fire too quickly which causes them to lose confidence.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tell that to Aaron Rodgers.
Who if you'll recall, pretty much sucked his first year starting but was still clearly their future guy. He didn't come out all-pro or anything.
the year or two he'll sit
Doubtful a 4th round QB pick will sit much. Time Bomb Tony will be carried off the field early again, and the veteran backup will of course, suck.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yes but if you read the original post, it states that according to history you get your franchise QB between picks 5-10. This is why I gave those examples of QBs drafted out of picks 5-10 that went on to have hall of fame careers or are potential hall of famers.

Young went to the USFL but was also traded to San Francisco by Tampa Bay due to poor performance after they tried to make him the immediate starter. Where San Francisco had Montana and Young sat for a few years and learned then became great, himself. Which is another proven case of a QB needs to sit for 1-2 years and learn the system before becoming the starter. One of the major reasons for not drafting a QB this year is because the QB of the future will have to sit 3 years before getting his chance because of the structure of Romo's contract. I don't think anyone wants 20 million this year or 8 million next year in dead cap money, where if you draft a QB next year and let him sit 2 years Romo is released after 2 years if the QB works out and will only cost 2 million in dead cap money.

reading comprehension is your friend. You sound like a lawyer; always leaving part of the facts out to make your case.

I rather clearly said the last 20 years. You of course think you actually know something and proceeded to go all the way back to the 60's.

Well just in case I am going to educate you,

The game has changed MASSIVELY in the last 20 years. Basically since the late 90's when you get right down to it.

SO with alll due Respect Roger and Marino and all those guys more than 20 years back DO NOT COUNT.

Rodgers. Draft day slip. BEFORE The draft he was a top 10 pick at least.
Brady. Romo. both of them were flat out misses by the draft experts and that happens. Sometimes.

Now you have Wilson who is an exception. Guess what GENIUS you do not base your board on anomalies. Brees was drafted very early in the 2nd and he fell because of his height.

You know that Gil Brandt said one of his greatest failures was not recommending drafting Mike Singletary because he was just under what the Boys thought was the minimum height for a LB. One time when the computer should have been tossed out of the window. They passed on Joe Montana because they did not think they needed to consider a QB since they had just had Danny White take over. They really thought about him but in the end decided on someone else who needless to say never amounted to much of anything. Despite the fact that Tom Landry watched game film of Montana and mentioned that he really reminded him of Roger.

Teams make mistakes. But can minimize them by studying history and watching for noted trends.

And you clearly do not know how to do that.

Top Bottom