Reaction score
Give me some of your targets... guys who are expected to be available around that pick.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Tak McKinley DE, Solomon Thomas DE, Gareon Conley CB, Cam Sutton CB, Quincy Wilson CB, Adoree Jackson CB, Budda Baker FS UW.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We need a Landon Collins.

They need quite a bit in the secondary. I think its actually a good thing that so many of them are free agents. Hopefully they wont resign Carr, Claiborne or even Church.

The one guy I'd consider keeping of the DB's who are free agents is Wilcox, assuming its on the cheap and its a 1 or 2 yr deal.

If Jaylon Smith is ready he will definitely help the defense, but in addition to some upgrades at DB they gotta get another DL or two (or three) that can play.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I gave all defensive picks so they probably draft a WR or TE to sell more tickets and gear.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
They need quite a bit in the secondary. I think its actually a good thing that so many of them are free agents. Hopefully they wont resign Carr, Claiborne or even Church.

The one guy I'd consider keeping of the DB's who are free agents is Wilcox, assuming its on the cheap and its a 1 or 2 yr deal.

If Jaylon Smith is ready he will definitely help the defense, but in addition to some upgrades at DB they gotta get another DL or two (or three) that can play.

I agree. Don't return any of that stink from this year's secondary. Of course we're going to bring back 2 of them. For continuities sake.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Get the fuck rid of DLaw. Piece of shit and his brittle back.

I think offseason back surgery will probably take care of that for us.

That'll be two in two seasons, and we already know the first one they discovered far worse stuff than they expected to see.

It really sux because I think he can legitimately play when healthy, but for a young guy to undergo two significant back surgeries in two years is not a good sign.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Agreed. Wilcox found a role and improved this year. Carr is solid but makes zero plays. Claiborne is fragile, Church is slow and getting even slower by the day. We need some athletes back there and some guys with actual ball skills.

If Jaylon Smith is ready he will definitely help the defense
I have a bad feeling they are going to bring the whole gang back and spend the off-season talking about how special Jaylon will be. To me, they need to treat Jaylon like gravy, he's extra and not the plan. We need a true speed rusher and two DB's and we need to use free agency to get better.

Give me some of your targets... guys who are expected to be available around that pick.

CB - Quincy Wilson, Florida - Sidney Jones, Washington

DE - Takkarist McKinley, UCLA - Taco Charlton, Michigan

LB - Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt (my guy) - Raekwon McMillan (a true Mike linebacker)

WR - John Ross, Washington (speedster, homerun threat) - JuJu Smith-Schuster (Dez clone)

TE - OJ Howard, Alabama

RT - Garett Bolles, Utah ( I know we don't need another OL but Doug Free was a liability tonight and Bolles is an asshole and a mean bastard)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We also get a 1st place schedule that will include Seattle, Green Bay, Atlanta, Oakland, Denver, and Kansas City.

There's only two games impacted by "first place schedule"

The other 14 are the same for every team in our division.

Besides, every year teams that are expected to be good, arnt. And some teams that are expected to be bad or mediocre rise up. We have no idea who those teams will be.

Adding some real defensive talent and speed to that unit, as well as more "training" for our wannabe HC is where the improvement will come from.

Offensively, we certainly seem like the pieces are in place to be an elite unit for years to come. Go get defensive help. Go get a decent return guy/s. We can hope for no Garrett, but that isn't happening I'm afraid. Just have to hope more talent further offsets the negatives he brings.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There's only two games impacted by "first place schedule"

The other 14 are the same for every team in our division.

Besides, every year teams that are expected to be good, arnt. And some teams that are expected to be bad or mediocre rise up. We have no idea who those teams will be.

Adding some real defensive talent and speed to that unit, as well as more "training" for our wannabe HC is where the improvement will come from.

Offensively, we certainly seem like the pieces are in place to be an elite unit for years to come. Go get defensive help. Go get a decent return guy/s. We can hope for no Garrett, but that isn't happening I'm afraid. Just have to hope more talent further offsets the negatives he brings.

I understand that the schedules are already set. Atlanta and Green Bay are the games we get from having a 1st place schedule. It just happens to include Seattle (our turn to play the NFC West), Denver, KC, and Oakland. As of now, those appear to very good teams. If Arizona bounces back, you can count that as another tough game.

Next year's schedule appears to be brutal. Regardless, if we don't improve the defense, we will suffer a similar result. Defense and coaching are much bigger issues in the post-season and we all know the coaching won't change.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We need to move on from Lucky, Dumbar, Gregory, D Law, Butler and most of our secondary

The focus on DE and LB in the draft and pick up a WR late in the draft

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We need to move on from Lucky, Dumbar, Gregory, D Law, Butler and most of our secondary

The focus on DE and LB in the draft and pick up a WR late in the draft

Add Free as well. And I would even throw in Williams. Tired of his body-catching and now body-dropping. He doesn't seem intent on learning and changing.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I forgot about Free. I don't mind if we keep T Willy if he comes dirt cheap. I don't even want to see him get paid like a #2 WR

He doesn't deserve it

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Jerry is going to demand offense in the first round like usual. Our pathetic lack of a pass rush doesn't mean anything to him, never has and never will

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I love the idea of John Ross. Having a player who is a factor in the return game would be a nice change of pace. Then a deep threat to open up underneath for Zeke, Dez and Beasley would open up the offense even more

Having said that, defense needs to be a priority.

Reaction score
My 7 round mock because I don't know exactly what picks we actually have. Players selected based on CBS rankings (no more than 5 rankings higher, or 10 rankings lower - flawed style but whatever.)
NFL Draft - 2017 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

1st - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
2nd - Marcus Williams, FS, Utah
3rd - Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee (I love this player, and he's sitting there at 91 so I have to take him. IRL he'll be taken in the first 40 picks)
4th - Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M
5th - Channing Stribling, CB, Michigan
6th - KD Cannon, WR, Baylor
7th - Jaylin Reeves-Maybin, OLB, Tennessee

Top Bottom