MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No one is going to sign Leary and give us a 2nd rounder for him.

Don't be so sure. I think on the right team he could be a pro bowler. Even if no one does, I still see it as a win/win for the Cowboys. The Cowboys will either get a 2nd round pick or they will not only have the best OL in the NFL but also the best OL depth. Leary is a borderline pro bowler and will be fairly cheap.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Cowboys got Eagles DL Cedric Thornton for 4 yrs, 18 mils.

Probably an upgraded version of Nick Hayden.

Was Thornton the guy who crushed Romo's collarbone last September?

Thornton was one of my pet cats of that draft.

Reaction score
No one is pursuing our free agents because they know they don't want to play for anyone but Garrett.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No one is going to sign Leary and give us a 2nd rounder for him.

Probably not, although I think I have seen a few of the draft gurus say that interior OL prospects beyond the top couple is a weak crop in general. I guess if you were a team that needed a proven starting guard and were drafting at the 2nd of the 2nd, you might consider it. More likely they'd ask probably ask us if we'd take a 3rd or 4th for him.

I think his greater value in terms of trade is as a potential throw in when we trade up with TN to get the #1 pick and Carson Wentz :banana

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Probably not, although I think I have seen a few of the draft gurus say that interior OL prospects beyond the top couple is a weak crop in general. I guess if you were a team that needed a proven starting guard and were drafting at the 2nd of the 2nd, you might consider it. More likely they'd ask probably ask us if we'd take a 3rd or 4th for him.

I think his greater value in terms of trade is as a potential throw in when we trade up with TN to get the #1 pick and Carson Wentz :banana

If Cleveland and San Fran work out a deal that includes Crapernick going to Cleveland and the #2 pick going to San Fran then Goff will likely be the Niners pick at 2. That would mean that Wentz would fall to 4 more than likely.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Cleveland and San Fran work out a deal that includes Crapernick going to Cleveland and the #2 pick going to San Fran then Goff will likely be the Niners pick at 2. That would mean that Wentz would fall to 4 more than likely.

Still worried San Diego might take a QB, or trade their pick to someone else who will.

The Eagles now have the 8th pick. Everyone knows the Rams probably want a QB and they have two 2nd rd picks as bait to move up. New Orleans might be thinking QB as well considering Brees' age and shoulder situation.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Saw a blurb saying Carroll was still at VR and they are trying to get a deal done.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Still worried San Diego might take a QB, or trade their pick to someone else who will.

The Eagles now have the 8th pick. Everyone knows the Rams probably want a QB and they have two 2nd rd picks as bait to move up. New Orleans might be thinking QB as well considering Brees' age and shoulder situation.

It's going to cost the Rams a lot more than two 2nd's if they want to move up that high. If I'm in the top 4 and the Rams want to move up to draft a QB I'm asking for two #1's.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's going to cost the Rams a lot more than two 2nd's if they want to move up that high. If I'm in the top 4 and the Rams want to move up to draft a QB I'm asking for two #1's.

I'm sure to get that high (especially for a QB) they'll have to overpay. The updated trade value chart (the one the fans see) shows the value of the 3rd pick at 2200. Rams top 3 picks (1st and two 2nds) total about 2000.

Our pick (4th overall) is valued at 1800.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hope not. He is no better than Claiborne.

Not really sure about that.

The bigger question with him I think is his injury status. Supposedly he will make a full recovery but it has to be considered.

I like the Hayward idea though.

Patrick Robinson is still sitting out there too, and he was a guy we looked at some last yr I think before he signed with the Chargers.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bernadeau and Hanna both getting looks from other teams.

I don't care if we lose Hanna because I think he sux, but Bernadea's ability to backup C & G would be a little bit of a loss. They'd either have to get someone in free agency or the draft to replace him for sure.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
CNNSI: best bang for the bucks

2. Cedric Thornton, DL, Cowboys
Four years, $17 million ($9 million guaranteed)

The former Eagle has only four sacks in four NFL seasons, so there’s a perception that he’s a lower-tier signing. Not true. On first and second down, Thornton is as good as almost any NFL D-lineman. He has brute strength, lateral mobility and a knack for locating the ball. He can also penetrate against the run. The only hesitation with him in Dallas is, Where does he play along the 4-3 front? As a 3-4 end with the Eagles, Thornton was great because he could two-gap or one-gap, depending on the formation. The only position that calls for two-gapping in a 4-3 scheme such as Rod Marinelli’s is the nose shade. Thornton has never played there full-time, and at 6-3, he might be a tad tall for the role. The other option: playing him at 3-technique, where he’d rotate with Tyrone Crawford on base downs and maybe get a few more nickel pass-rushing opportunities than he did in Philadelphia. However Thornton winds up being used, let’s not lose sight of the bigger picture: The Cowboys got a very good player.

Top Bottom