Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well it's looking like we are "all set" at running back just like last year. Therefore we have zero need to draft Elliott at #4

That sucks because he would have been an immediate difference maker who could have shored up that position for a long time

But at least that will make it a little bit easier to draft a QB because we don't have to worry about a stud RB still being on the board at 4.

with all that said I still fear we will take a defensive player at #4

Reaction score
Benson Mayowa will be part of Cowboys' committee approach

Todd ArcherESPN Staff Writer (ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Sports)

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- The Dallas Cowboys learned Tuesday that the Oakland Raiders won't match the three-year, $8.25 million offer to restricted free-agent defensive end Benson Mayowa.

Speaking Monday night, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones wasn’t sure what the Raiders would do, but he knew what the team liked about Mayowa, who has just two career sacks in three seasons.

“At the end of the day you watch him on tape and you love the way he plays,” Jones said. “Obviously we’re trying to marry people to what we do on defense and [defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli] and the type of scheme he wants and the players he wants. The guy plays hard. He’s got the movement that we look for in defensive linemen and we feel like he’s got some upside. Do we think we’re getting the next DeMarcus Ware? Probably not. But when you don’t have the guy, then you’ve got to do it by committee and hope you get the right players, playing the right way so that you get pressure.”

The Cowboys have gone with a quantity over quality approach for their pass rush before. In 2014, Jeremy Mincey led the Cowboys with six sacks. The Cowboys had 13 players record at least a half-sack that season.

In 2015, the Cowboys thought they bolstered their pass rush significantly by signing defensive end Greg Hardy in free agency and adding Randy Gregory in the second round of the draft. Hardy had six sacks and Gregory did not have any. The Cowboys had just eight players record at least a half-sack in 2015.

So far, the Cowboys have not made an effort to re-sign Hardy, who is a free agent, despite the fact that Gregory will miss the first four games in 2016 because of a suspension and DeMarcus Lawrence is coming off back surgery.

“We fired at it last year and it didn’t work out for us, so we’ve got to keep trying to figure out a way to improve our defense and to me a big part of that is getting pressure on the passer,” Jones said.

The Cowboys were not going to take big shots on high-priced free agents such as Olivier Vernon and Mario Williams. They took smaller shots on Mayowa and Cedric Thornton, who signed a four-year deal worth $17 million.

Senior director of college and pro personnel Will McClay zeroed in on Mayowa early.

“He likes this guy,” Jones said, “and he sits with the defensive line guys and we all talk about it. This is one we felt like makes sense for us.”

Defensive end Benson Mayowa had two sacks in 28 games for the Raiders.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Well it's looking like we are "all set" at running back just like last year. Therefore we have zero need to draft Elliott at #4

That sucks because he would have been an immediate difference maker who could have shored up that position for a long time

But at least that will make it a little bit easier to draft a QB because we don't have to worry about a stud RB still being on the board at 4.

I'm afraid you're right. Morris signing means the likely will bypass RB altogether in this draft. Unless one drops to them with one of their 6th round picks.

I mean hell, Romo still has like 15 more years right? So we're set for our SB run.

Reaction score
I wish Todd archer would draw the obvious conclusion that the mystery of 2015 was so little about the defense and so ridiculously blameworthy on the offense that the defense had half the sacks it had in 2014 when it was considered anemic and yet rose to 15th ranked in the league. Todd points out that the irony was that last offseason Dallas bolstered the pass rush but got considerably less sacks than 2014 and yet had a better defense to the point that if the offense could have managed just one more TD drive per game they may have made the playoffs. But he stops as if the issue is sacks. It's really not. It's about having an effective defense that stops drives. The turnover argument is almost as silly to hear from Jason as his offense could do nothing with a possession at all. If Jason is lamenting that the defense is not scoring off of turnovers then just think about what the coach is asking of his defense in order to make up for his lame offense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Morris is at least more competent and trust worthy than Randle

I'd much prefer we draft a QB at 4. If this moves helps make that more likely, I'm all for it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I worry about him in an offense where the QB is no threat to run.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I worry about him in an offense where the QB is no threat to run.

Not all his success was due to the read option and RGIII though. Shanahan pretty much has had a great running system and gotten great production from backs year over year, and his zone blocking scheme is similar to what we are using now.

I don't think Morris is a 1600 yd back, but I do think if he has to play that he can be more counted on than Randle a yr ago.

He's veteran insurance that would seem to be a decent fit for our running game. If McFadden gets hurt Morris has also shown he can handle a heavy workload, he's a good short yardage back too.

Reaction score
Love the Alfred Morris signing for some reason.

Shocked the Raiders didn't match our offer. 3 mil a year seems a small price to pay for one sack a year. Hard to fathom how they'll replicate that kind of production, but I guess thats why they're the Raiders.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Our new RB. If he is in good shape, he could have some usefulness here for sure. Runs hard, gets tough yards.

[video=youtube;zK_Qp9pUWAE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK_Qp9pUWAE[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Clarence Hill
✔ ‎‎@clarencehilljr

Stephen Jones said the Cowboys will be talking to Patrick Robinson's new representative tonight in hopes of getting deal resolved

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Todd Archer ‎‎@toddarcher

According to a source, a deal was agreed to in principle with Patrick Robinson last week. Signing was considered a formality upon visit Mon.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're right. Morris signing means the likely will bypass RB altogether in this draft. Unless one drops to them with one of their 6th round picks.

I mean hell, Romo still has like 15 more years right? So we're set for our SB run.

Why does it mean that? McFadden will be a free agent next year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like there were quite a few teams chasing him:

Report: Cowboys signing CB Patrick Robinson

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: March 22, 2016 at 06:49 p.m.
Updated: March 22, 2016 at 07:00 p.m.

The Dallas Cowboys have done a remarkable job of eschewing marquee names in favor of sensible signings this month.

After landing behemoth run-stuffer Cedric Thornton and productive power back Alfred Morris, the Cowboys are bringing in former Saints and Chargers cornerback Patrick Robinson.

Robinson agreed to terms with Dallas last week, per ESPN.com's Todd Archer. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Robinson was expected to sign during his visit with the team.

The Rams, Giants, Eagles, Bears and Dolphins were also reported to be interested in the 32nd overall pick in the 2010 draft, who was ranked No. 79 on Around The NFL's list of the Top 99 free agents.

A washout in New Orleans, Robinson was rejuvenated as San Diego's slot corner in 2015, faring well in coverage while holding his own in the running game.

As a versatile cornerback with a first-round pedigree in the prime of his career, Robinson is a quality addition for a Dallas secondary that has produced more questions than answers in recent seasons.

Top Bottom