dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If right now they have Steele pegged as the swing T, then 1) they either know he isnt going to be fully ready to start or 2) they don't really think he is as good as we were led to believe and drafting another T very high (even 1st) is in the cards.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I read an article on the official site that states Jerry said they are thinking about making Steele the swing tackle. That might work because Steel is coming off of an ACL, so it could give him more time to fully heal.

But as a general matter, I think Tyron should be told that he is now an expensive swing tackle and give the young studs the snaps they need to continue their journey.

That will probably happen anyway because Jerry seemed to suggest that he doesn't think Tyron will play a full season.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If right now they have Steele pegged as the swing T, then 1) they either know he isnt going to be fully ready to start or 2) they don't really think he is as good as we were led to believe and drafting another T very high (even 1st) is in the cards.

Oh, i just wrote about this.

I think it serves "two birds with one stone". It seems common that a player takes a year to get fully back to where he was from an ACL injury. That's one reason why there is hope that Michael Gallup will find his form again this year.

Then Tyron is always getting hurt these days. Jerry seemed to suggest he doesn't think Tyroon will be 100% available. But there is also the idea that Tyron has a lot of respect in the locker room and around the NFL, and he has been a warrior on the OL, so they don't want to just throw him overboard.

This allows Tyron to be treated with respect and Steele to slowly work his way back to 100%, so he doesn't look foolish in the early part of the season.

By week 8 to 10, Steele will become the permanent starter and Tyron will ease into the idea of being a valuable backup.

That's my guess.

Jerry said he is ready to go internal to find someone to play LG. It might be Steele.

I still say I would love to have Dawand Jones playing LG. Come on, how can a man that big not be good at guard? And Jones moves good for a guy that big.

Who was that big boy that played next to Marc Colubo who we got from the Cardinals and was a bust at Tackle but was very good for us at Guard until both he and Colombo got old and dinged up too much?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I read an article on the official site that states Jerry said they are thinking about making Steele the swing tackle. That might work because Steel is coming off of an ACL, so it could give him more time to fully heal.

But as a general matter, I think Tyron should be told that he is now an expensive swing tackle and give the young studs the snaps they need to continue their journey.

That will probably happen anyway because Jerry seemed to suggest that he doesn't think Tyron will play a full season.
Tyron substantially reworked his contract and a lot of the money for this year was converted into playing time etc etc bonuses.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I still say I would love to have Dawand Jones playing LG. Come on, how can a man that big not be good at guard? And Jones moves good for a guy that big.

Who was that big boy that played next to Marc Columbo who we got from the Cardinals and was a bust at Tackle but was very good for us at Guard until both he and Colombo got old and dinged up too much?
Its rare that someone that tall can play G. It's happened a few times (for somewhat brief periods). Flozelle Adams played G here for a bit before permanently moving to LT and I believe Jonathan Ogden did the same for the Ravens. But Adams and Ogden while both tall, were also built like Tackles with the feet and length to excel outside.

Leonard Davis is the player you are thinking about that we signed from the Cards, and he had probably his best couple seasons in the league playing there. Unlike Adams and Ogden, Davis never had the feet to play outside and while tall himself (nearly 6'6) he was built more like a guard and clearly played better inside.

Not saying Dawan Jones cant do it, but it would be surprising and I doubt any personnel people are looking at him as a potential G, even if just to start his career.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Arr y'all gettin xcited bout tha new season yet?
this yr is different

cowboys clearly performing above their expectations in terms of the front office moves

lets see what the draft looks like

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Arr y'all gettin xcited bout tha new season yet?

I’m not necessarily excited about the new season yet. But with the moves they have made so far they really have put us in a position to be able to take the BPA in the draft.

So while I’m not excited about the season yet, I am more excited about the draft than I have been in a long time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm always excited about the draft, one of my fav sports things to watch.

Really solid moves so far this offseason and if Gilmore and Cooks stay healthy they are significant upgrades for us.

Need to finish off OL and get another RB but I like what we've done so far.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Its rare that someone that tall can play G. It's happened a few times (for somewhat brief periods). Flozelle Adams played G here for a bit before permanently moving to LT and I believe Jonathan Ogden did the same for the Ravens. But Adams and Ogden while both tall, were also built like Tackles with the feet and length to excel outside.

Leonard Davis is the player you are thinking about that we signed from the Cards, and he had probably his best couple seasons in the league playing there. Unlike Adams and Ogden, Davis never had the feet to play outside and while tall himself (nearly 6'6) he was built more like a guard and clearly played better inside.

Not saying Dawan Jones cant do it, but it would be surprising and I doubt any personnel people are looking at him as a potential G, even if just to start his career.
You're probably right. I just think that not too many DTs are used to fighting off 370 lbs for >30 snaps a game or having 370lbs land on them.

Tyler and Dewand, side by side, (by the way, what you wrote is ONE of the reasons I argued that I'd like to see Tyler at LG) have got to be able to get a consistent push in the running game and, over a course of 3 quarters, put a hurting on the DL.

We'll see what happens. I thought our OL was good last year, maybe average, but not great, so I'm personally in favor of adding more talent.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Call me skeptical. I have a feeling that at some point we will be saying our offense is too predictable. Less responsibility, at least to me, translaes to simplifying the offense, which tends to lead to predictability.

IMHO, if you want a great offense, get great talent.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Call me skeptical. I have a feeling that at some point we will be saying our offense is too predictable. Less responsibility, at least to me, translaes to simplifying the offense, which tends to lead to predictability.

IMHO, if you want a great offense, get great talent.
We've been predictable for years as it is.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We've been predictable for years as it is.
I don't think Kellen Moore was predictable. I think he had a good change up here and there. Sometimes too much with plays that ended up looking silly.

I think Kellen Moore is going to do great with Justin Herbert as his QB. Hopefully, he'll stick around with the Chargers for a couple of years because I think he could replace McCarthy if McCarthy's grand master plan blows up in his face.

Top Bottom