SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Once the season gets underway, and a team is looking for a change, the biggest move that team can make is to fire the head coach. If recent history is anything to go by, there will a couple of mid-season coaching changes this season, just as there will be coaching changes after the season. It's just another example of the NFL having become a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. And that applies to players, coaches and GMs (if the GM doesn't happen to be the owner as well).Jason Garrett led the Cowboys to a 5-3 finish in 2010, but after starting 7-4 in 2011, he also coached the Cowboys to a 1-4 finish last season and missed out on the playoffs.Eric Edholm of Pro Football Weekly published a hot-seat ranking yesterday of all 32 NFL head coaches. He has Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett ranked as the coach with the sixth lowest job security, arguing that Jerry Jones may not have the patience to see this thing through - and that no coach has lasted for more than four years under Jones.
star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
Here are Edholm's top six hot-seat coaches in order:

1. Andy Reid, Philadelphia
  2. Norv Turner, San Diego
  3. Leslie Frazier, Minnesota
  4. Pat Shurmur, Cleveland
  5. Rex Ryan, New York Jets
  6. Jason Garrett, Dallas
I'm always wary of using tired old cliches like 'Jerry Jones has itchy trigger fingers', or 'not even Jimmy Johnson lasted for more than four years' as arguments in any discussion. I think that's simply lazy thinking. After all, the Cowboys never fired a coach mid-season. Until they did.I'm also not going to comment on where Edholm has the individual coaches ranked on this list. But I think Edholm does have a point when he argues that expectations are high for Garrett and the Cowboys this year:

What Garrett needs to do to keep his job in 2013: Some believe Garrett must make the playoffs to keep Jones happy. They made two bold moves in the offseason at cornerback, signing Brandon Carr to a big deal and trading up for rookie Morris Claiborne, while alienating a third at the position (Mike Jenkins) in the process. The division is loaded again, with the Giants coming off a Super Bowl, the talented Eagles facing high expectations and the Redskins landing hot prospect Robert Griffin III, so some measure of perspective must be kept here. But Tony Romo is nearing the end of his prime at 32 and Jones is a wild card who might have his eye on another big catch at coach if the right person shows interest in the job, and he won’t hesitate to ace Garrett in that situation. It just would be a lot harder to fire the guy if the Cowboys make the postseason and, God forbid, win a game or two.

I agree that expectations are high - after all, Jones had made a lot of noise about some imaginary windows closing - but I don't think Jerry Jones is ready to abandon the Garrett approach just yet. Barring a total meltdown, of course.
Then again, Brian Galliford of SBNation's Buffalo Rumblings writes that being on the hot seat is almost par for the course for a Cowboys head coach:

Jason Garrett of the Dallas Cowboys could belong to a list like this annually simply because a) he's not winning the Super Bowl every year, and b) he works for Jerry Jones.

A lot of the things that Jason Garrett has done so far "feel right". Of course, they also felt right last year, but that 8-8 record did not "feel right" at all, regardless of any extenuating circumstances. The fact is that success in the NFL is judged solely by the W/L column. Everything else is just icing on the cake.If, as Edholm writes, making the playoffs is what Jones expects from Garrett, then at what point would Jones consider the Garrett experiment over? What about you as a Cowboys fan, at what point would you start calling for a new head coach? Would another 8-8 season be acceptable? Would you sit still if the Cowboys had a losing season?What does Garrett need to deliver in his second full season as the Cowboys head coach?

Source:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...on-the-hot-seat-already-this-season#storyjump

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Jerry wants(needs) Garrett to work out too badly to let him go this year. I still think Garrett would make a pretty decent Head Coach if he just gave up playcalling duties. Not fake Offensive Coordinator titles to Bill Callahan either, actual playcalling duties.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If we were to fire Garrett two years after not even seriously interviewing anyone else during a year when Jim harbaugh was available, the league should step in and force Jerry to hire some proper management.

The reality is that there is zero chance of Garrett being fired I would say anytime in the next five years, these national writers really don't understand the relationship that exists here between the jones and the garrett's. He is basically going to be given unlimited chances to win.

Hopefully with a locker room full of hard working smart people who care he can get it turned around. We still have a few square pegs though. But for the most part this has to be the exact type of roster Garrett wants.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I hope he is. He hasn't shown he can handle the pressure of being a head coach.

It's basically on the job training right now. It's a shame Jerry didn't give him the job outright instead of fucking around with Wade Phillips for four years.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
IMO if the Cowboys have the same outcome as last yr, he's gone. The cowboys have basically rebuilt the team is young and what he wanted. All this talk about Garrett is the one who will right the ship is ok but it's still the same. The team is still getting exposed in the same ways since all the way to Parcells. That reflects coaching. The good coaches will adjust to the team and hide their holes with what works. NE had one of the worst defenses in quite some time last yr but they made the superbowl. Niners have a horribble QB but coaching laid a plan for him and he stayed within the system and he was successful. The giants had just a bad a OL as the Cowboys bad LBers and were injury riddled in the secondary and won it all. Because Tom C wouldnt let their players fail. IMO Garrett has failed the players just as much as the Team has failed fans. I think he's a good young coach but the guy is not able to game plan and adjust. Thats his weakness and he's too stubborn to admit it. He thinks he has all the answers. And ultimately if the Cowboys end the season the way they did last yr is going to be what gets him fired.

Reaction score
Pretty foolish to even consider firing Garrett at this point.

He went 5-3 after a 1-7 start in 2010 FFS!

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garrett pretty much is getting on the Job training.

I absolutely love everything Garrett is about. I think he's a great leader for this team, and IMO, that's the most important attribute in any coach.

There is no question that Garrett has to become a better game manager..ultimately that's what's going to determine whether we are successful or not.

Reaction score
I think we should fire him, purge the team of all the RKG's, promote Rob Ryan, and sign thugs and enforcers.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
lol come to think of it. If he doesnt do this the Cowboys make the playoffs and the giants dont. Period.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Garrett, by himself, lost 2 games for his football team last year. If you wanna nitpick, you could call it 3.

For such a smart dude, he looked like a huge dumbfuck at crucial times last year.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Garrett, by himself, lost 2 games for his football team last year. If you wanna nitpick, you could call it 3.

For such a smart dude, he looked like a huge dumbfuck at crucial times last year.

I just think the HC for the Dallas Cowboys is too big for him. Especially with him trying to to the Alpha Omega type persona in having all the say with the O. Coaches like that never have success.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
He's light on experience. Even a young guy like Tomlin had more experience coaching when he became a HC.

He might get it figured out. Dallas might underachieve while he does.

He might also end up having a pretty good coaching career once he gets experience. Might not be in Dallas though. Could be a situation somewhat like Belichick in Cleveland.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
yea but give him one or two years with a training camp

he has not had any

sorry hes for at least 3- 5 years IMO

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think we should fire him, purge the team of all the RKG's, promote Rob Ryan, and sign thugs and enforcers.

oh GAWD no

what has he EVER DONE

NOT BUDDIES SPAWN

Last edited:

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He's light on experience. Even a young guy like Tomlin had more experience coaching when he became a HC.

He might get it figured out. Dallas might underachieve while he does.

He might also end up having a pretty good coaching career once he gets experience. Might not be in Dallas though. Could be a situation somewhat like Belichick in Cleveland.

He might, but then he might end up being Eric Mangini. Some coaches are just meant to be coordinators. I hope he proves me wrong but i dont think Garrett ever be the coach fans want him to be until he learns how to be the HC and the HC cant do it all.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He might, but then he might end up being Eric Mangini. Some coaches are just meant to be coordinators. I hope he proves me wrong but i dont think Garrett ever be the coach fans want him to be until he learns how to be the HC and the HC cant do it all.

You are right on the areas that Garrett needs improvement in. However, you aren't crediting him for the areas he's excelling at.

The previous posters hit it on the head. If we let go of Garrett too early, Jerry is going to be worried he will blossom somewhere else. IMO, Garrett will be given every single opportunity to be successful here. Jason has at least a few seasons left in Dallas to figure it out before Jerry thinks about pulling the plug

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You are right on the areas that Garrett needs improvement in. However, you aren't crediting him for the areas he's excelling at.

The previous posters hit it on the head. If we let go of Garrett too early, Jerry is going to be worried he will blossom somewhere else. IMO, Garrett will be given every single opportunity to be successful here. Jason has at least a few seasons left in Dallas to figure it out before Jerry thinks about pulling the plug

I doubt Jerry is worried at all about any coach he's fired. Guy had Landry and jimmy and once they left he never blinked. Garrett will be just another one and on to the next.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I doubt Jerry is worried at all about any coach he's fired. Guy had Landry and jimmy and once they left he never blinked. Garrett will be just another one and on to the next.

Jetty has already stated that it's a worry of his. However, his track record does support your argument. Actions do speak louder than words.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score

He'll get more time than Mangini. But, yes, he could end up with a career like that as well.

Thing is....I think Mangini was more proven as a coordinator than Garrett.

His offenses have generally been middle of the pack as far as scoring.

Top Bottom