MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Right, not that Norv has zero spine, I just think those other guys have more.

Also, that little blurb just shows how absurdly infatuated with Garrett Jerry was. Red's entire resume was being a QB coach for two whole years, but Jerry still wanted him calling plays over an established very good OC like Norv. Pure insanity.

Red wasn’t even that good of an OC.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
what is sad is that this is the dallas fucking cowboys. we should have top-tier coaching candidates lined up, knocking down the door. but its no secret that its jerry's world and he will only allow a coach to operate within certain parameters.

look back to parcell's contract, on how they will dish out praise for a successful season/tenure. jerry needs to get credit. the funny thing is, if he hired a coach that could get dallas to another super bowl...and just got out of his own way...we'd all be throwing a parade. kraft is BELOVED in new england. like he's basically royalty along with brady and belichick.

so over the past 7-8 years we know that throughout the week, garrett spits bullshit to get the players to hustle (they do). during games, he claps and raises 1 finger or 2 fingers. the coordinators do all the coaching around here. romo himself said garrett is not an x's and o's kind of guy. he said this on national tv.

moral of the story is that we'd have much better options waiting to coach the cowboys if jerry would get out of the way. but at this point, i think that considering jerry's comfort level with head coaches, we'd probably have to choose from jeff dunham's box of puppets and i'll take the purple thing or the old man over garrett all day and twice on sundays.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Better is irrelevant, who's pliable, subserviant and currently sitting on their couch?

Hmmm....Art Briles, Norv Turner, Jeff Fisher are right in jeri's wheelhouse although Norv appears to have a set of balls & would probably tell jeri too little, too late

Interesting that you brought up Norv. Fascinating as to how the Vikings got better after getting rid of him.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Could have been long before that ridiculous nonsenseical meaningless political award was bestowed.

Look guys, a Ginger fanboy. Should be fun for about three seconds.

He's not a fanboy. This guy is a rival fan or someone that hates the Cowboys. The only people that want Garrett to stay are fans of other teams that hate the Cowboys.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I thought the rumor was Norv told jeri that garrett wasn't ready to be OC and that's why he was passed over in favor of the pillsbury doughboy

Not a big fan of Norv, but having him and Rivera as DC would have been interesting. Curious as to whom Norv would have had as an OC.

So Garrett was a QB coach for two years --- did nothing to distinguish himself as such, and yet was applying for an HC positikon and for the Cowboys no less? What is it that got Jerri so hot and bothered and wet between the legs over him, it had to have been even before he was a QB coach. And not only was he made an OC, but immediately made the highest-paid OC (rumor has it that he was making the same amount as Wade) in the league without EVER calling a fucking play. In addition he was basically made co-HC albeit not in name. He had total autonomy over the offense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The only people that want Garrett to stay are fans of other teams that hate the Cowboys.
Nah there's a whole passel of fans out there who legitimately believe Garrett=Landry and we just need to be patient.

What is it that got Jerri so hot and bothered and wet between the legs over him, it had to have been even before he was a QB coach.
His father was a Cowboys scout, and also Ginger did some assistant coaching at Princeton! Then after his pro playing days were done, (Two Super Bowl Rings) he was QB coach for Nick Saban at Miami! Then he came to us as OC.

Of all of those, it just HAD to be the assisting gig at Princeton that got Jerruh moist!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
hue jackson doesnt even have an offensive coordinator on staff

Maybe that explains why they suck so bad offensively.

I think we should start promoting Garrett for OC there.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't put words in my mouth, boy. I'm perfectly fine with replacing Garrett... WITH SOMEONE BETTER. I'm not a child who would be okay with a knee-jerk lateral or backward move.

Almost anyone would be better at this point.

Jones once said any of 500 coaches could win a super bowl with Jimmy's team. Well if that's true then any of 5000 coaches could be the same mediocre .500 guy that Garrett is with this team.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Of all of those, it just HAD to be the assisting gig at Princeton that got Jerruh moist!

Where are you coming up with the Princeton gig? I dont recall that and I cant find anything that says he was an assistant there

On March 15, 2004, he signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and was cut on August 31.[14] On October 13, he was re-signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After being declared inactive in week 6 and week 7, he was released on November 6.[15] On November 24, he was signed as a free agent by the Miami Dolphins and was declared inactive for the last 6 games of the season.[16]

Coaching career

Miami Dolphins: After retiring as a player, he became the quarterbacks coach for the Miami Dolphins in 2005–2006 under head coach Nick Saban.

Dallas Cowboys: In January 2007, Garrett was hired by the Dallas Cowboys as offensive coordinator. He guided the Cowboys to the 2nd best offense in the NFL, which made him an attractive head coaching prospect. In January 2008, Garrett interviewed for the head coaching job of the Baltimore Ravens and the Atlanta Falcons receiving offers from both, but ultimately opted to remain in Dallas.[17] His salary for the 2008 season was nearly $3 million; the highest salary for an assistant coach in the NFL at the time.[18] On December 29, 2008, the Detroit Lions received permission to speak to Garrett regarding the team's head coaching vacancy according to ESPN sources.[19] In January 2009, the Denver Broncos also interviewed him as a possible replacement for fired coach Mike Shanahan.[20] He was also a finalist for the St. Louis Rams head coaching position, to replace Jim Haslett, the interim head coach.[21] Ultimately, he lost the job to Steve Spagnuolo.

On November 8, 2010, he was named as the Dallas Cowboys' interim head coach following the firing of Wade Phillips after the Cowboys' 1–7 start for the 2010 season. On November 14, Garrett won his first game as a head coach, beating the favored New York Giants 33–20 in the Meadowlands.[22] The next week, he led the Cowboys to a 35–19 victory over the Detroit Lions, their first home win all season. He finished with a 5-3 record down the stretch. On January 6, 2011, Garrett was named the official Cowboys head coach; the 8th in Cowboys history, and the first born after the team was founded in 1960.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Maybe that explains why they suck so bad offensively.

I think we should start promoting Garrett for OC there.

He’d be a great fit in Cleveland! He can be their new QB guru, I mean he’s solely responsible for turning a 4th round pick into a Pro Bowl QB.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Where are you coming up with the Princeton gig? I dont recall that and I cant find anything that says he was an assistant there

It was personal recollection but I also just looked, it's right there on his wikipedia page.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It was personal recollection but I also just looked, it's right there on his wikipedia page.

Ha! I overlooked that blurb but found this doozy when I reread the page:

Although he piloted Princeton to a win against his former team Columbia (a loss that gave Columbia the Division I record for straight losses, at 35), he was also involved in a losing effort against them as a senior, snapping Columbia's by then 44-game losing streak

setting shitty records appears to be in his DNA

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Ha! I overlooked that blurb but found this doozy when I reread the page:
LOL

Annnnd... I did misspeak - he did his "coaching" stint at Princeton first, THEN had his playing career:

Garrett was signed as an undrafted free agent by the New Orleans Saints after the 1989 NFL Draft and was eventually signed to the practice squad. On September 3, 1990, he was waived by the Saints and spent most of the year working as a coaching assistant for Princeton.[5]

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
LOL

Annnnd... I did misspeak - he did his "coaching" stint at Princeton first, THEN had his playing career:
I remember Garrett playing for the San Antonio Riders in the WLAF in 1991, the year the London Monarchs won it. He played alongside his brother and future Cowboys RB Ricky Blake.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Nah there's a whole passel of fans out there who legitimately believe Garrett=Landry and we just need to be patient.

His father was a Cowboys scout, and also Ginger did some assistant coaching at Princeton! Then after his pro playing days were done, (Two Super Bowl Rings) he was QB coach for Nick Saban at Miami! Then he came to us as OC.

When the Cowboys' HC [position was available with Parcell's departure, there had to have been thousands of coaches at various levels (NFL and college both) that applied. Now naturally, not all of them got invites for interview --- many of them qualified, yet a QB coach of just two years gets an invite to interview for the HC position? Why would Garrett even think he was qualified to be an HC with just after two years as a QB coach? And Jerri might as well have made Garrett the HC from the get go. HOw do you think with just two years as an QB coach, he's qualified to be an OC and not an HC, when in truth he's was not qualified for either?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
When the Cowboys' HC [position was available with Parcell's departure, there had to have been thousands of coaches at various levels (NFL and college both) that applied. Now naturally, not all of them got invites for interview --- many of them qualified, yet a QB coach of just two years gets an invite to interview for the HC position? Why would Garrett even think he was qualified to be an HC with just after two years as a QB coach? And Jerri might as well have made Garrett the HC from the get go. HOw do you think with just two years as an QB coach, he's qualified to be an OC and not an HC, when in truth he's was not qualified for either?

He really didn't interview for the HC position originally. They asked permission to interview him for an offensive assistant job, and the Dolphins then stipulated the only way they'd let him out of his deal was for an OC or Head Coach job gig.

Garrett isn't the only guy who got "lucky", I'm reasonably sure you can find any number of examples of guys who were position coaches somewhere that became head coaches. Some special teams assistants have even gotten HC jobs. Not defending Garrett because he has proven he isn't any good, but he isn't in some unique company.

What continues to baffle me is this guy spent a couple seasons with Jimmy Johnson. He played under Ernie Zampese for a long time. He was an assistant under Nick Saban. I'm sure there are others, but despite this exposure, despite playing QB in the NFL and being an Ivy League grad, he is still clueless on how to run a team and totally clueless in terms of game day management. How could someone work with these kinds of people and not learn SOMETHING positive they could use down the road?

Top Bottom